Ordered one or YSYEO's Little Foot Cores a few weeks back. I had been wanting to do a build with micarta and other manmade materials but was afraid of messing with epoxy and getting every thing lined up. Before this build I basically just laminated my stock together and board cut it. This time I used a top bearing up cut bit and Matt's core as a template. I traced out the design on my stock and rough cut it(still very close) attached the rough cut scales to the core and then used the router bit to even it up. I did not use epoxy on this I used Gorilla Glue's new clear non foaming formula. I tested it on some scraps first and after 24 hours I could not pry it a part with a pry bar(I did try using a pry bar.)
I used canvas micarta for the core and some scraps that my sheet good vendor threw in with my micarta order. I built a little glueing frame to keep the scales from slipping and glue up went without a hitch. I then proceeded to drill holes and cut slots for the slot method of attachment......That went terrible awry. I threw it in the trash...yep. Then I fished it out. I wish I'd take photos of the faux pas so you could see what a good recovery job I did. But I was too miffed to do so. I filled the drill holes with 1/8" copper pin stock, then I mixed some epoxy and filled the slots with that. It took two applications but it worked great. I drilled my holes for pins and rounded over the edges. Then I tried to go all Lewis Pride on it. I wet sanded down to 3200 grit and then put it on the buffer for 10-15 ,minutes. Shines like glass I tried to get the camera to catch it but it just cannot do the finnish justice. Nathan Masters showed me some of his customs at the MWST and ever since I've been inspired to create something like that. Not sure I ever will but I will keep trying. Let me know what you think.
20170412_093306.jpg 122KB 58 downloads 20170412_093149.jpg 93.18KB 25 downloads 20170412_093133.jpg 105.85KB 25 downloads 20170412_092656.jpg 74.68KB 26 downloads 20170412_093036.jpg 102.67KB 25 downloads