20 replies to this topic

#1 kobe23

kobe23

Mechanical Engineer PhD in-process

• Registered
  • 532 posts
  • LocationCambridge

Posted 22 July 2011 - 06:12 AM

I am looking for lubricant material for my bands. Without lubricant I've shot over 100 shots and it have not break, however I noticed significant abrasion marks on the bands. Any lubricating materials that would not deteriorate the bands? Been using pure petroleum jelly.

Edited by kobe23, 22 July 2011 - 06:42 AM.

#2 Hit and run

Hit and run

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 141 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 22 July 2011 - 06:30 AM

talcum powder

#3 kobe23

kobe23

• Registered
  • 532 posts
  • LocationCambridge

Posted 22 July 2011 - 06:42 AM

The petrolum jelly wear off after dozens of shots, talcum powder only last approx 10 shots...

#4 Gwilym

Gwilym

250 Post Club

• Bronze Sponsor Bronze Sponsor
  • 416 posts
  • LocationWales

Posted 22 July 2011 - 10:29 AM

petroleum jelly is a bad idea it deteriorates the bands. It says on condoms to only use water based lubricant not pertoleum jelly for this reason.

#5 NightKnight

NightKnight

SSF Founder

• Administrators Admin
  • 4,876 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida, USA

Posted 22 July 2011 - 10:51 AM

Corn Starch?

#6 Northerner

Northerner

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,260 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 July 2011 - 10:55 AM

I sometimes use Turtle Wax F21 Super Protectant. Walmart has the stuff. http://www.turtlewax.com.au/f21.htm

303 Aerospace Protectant is another product that some use. http://www.303produc...-protectant.cfm

Cheers,
Northerner

#7 AZshooter

AZshooter

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 220 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:42 AM

In most cases for mono fishing line, natural rubber goods, bicycle tubes and tires, and a wide variety of other synthetics, I use this method. I first clean the material with a commercial hand cleaner named "GOOP" {theres an illustration of a hand on the container). Rinse completely to remove all dirt, oils and foreign substances...allow to dry and apply ARMORALL, another popular rubber and synthetic cleaner and protector. This seems safe to use, and I have soaked rubber goods for an extended period of time with no adverse reactions. It`s excellent for extending the life and strength of fishing line...even 1 pound test lines.

#8 Wingshooter

Wingshooter

1000 Post Club

• Vendors Supporting Vendor
  • 1,471 posts
  • LocationNorth Las Vegas NV

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:47 AM

The very best lube I have found is Traxxas DiffLub 50k weight. You can get it in hobby shops it is for RC Car differentials. You onl use a small drop and wipe of the exess. A bottle lasts for years.

#9 kobe23

kobe23

• Registered
  • 532 posts
  • LocationCambridge

Posted 22 July 2011 - 03:42 PM

I sometimes use Turtle Wax F21 Super Protectant. Walmart has the stuff. http://www.turtlewax.com.au/f21.htm

303 Aerospace Protectant is another product that some use. http://www.303produc...-protectant.cfm

Cheers,
Northerner

Are they more like grease or oil? I don't want them to dry out or wear off after dozens of shots. Do they last like the grease in bearings?

#10 Wingshooter

Wingshooter

1000 Post Club

• Vendors Supporting Vendor
  • 1,471 posts
  • LocationNorth Las Vegas NV

Posted 22 July 2011 - 04:33 PM

Cheers,
Northerner

Are they more like grease or oil? I don't want them to dry out or wear off after dozens of shots. Do they last like the grease in bearings?

Traaxx is silicone

#11 Flatband

Flatband

3000 Post Club

• Moderators Moderators
  • 3,696 posts
  • LocationNY/NJ Metro Region

Posted 22 July 2011 - 06:05 PM

I no longer use lubricants but the 303 was the stuff I used. I have also heard very good things from the R/C people about Traaxx but I never tried it. I think any silicone based product will work but use it VERY SPARINGLY!!! Flatband :o

#12 crapshot

crapshot

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 524 posts
  • Locationmichigan

Posted 27 July 2011 - 05:02 PM

try vegetable oil

#13 crapshot

crapshot

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 524 posts
  • Locationmichigan

Posted 27 July 2011 - 05:05 PM

try streching small smooth leather tabs across fork tops

#14 kobe23

kobe23

• Registered
  • 532 posts
  • LocationCambridge

Posted 27 July 2011 - 05:20 PM

try streching small smooth leather tabs across fork tops

It is to reduce abrasion between rubber, so tabs don't serve much purpose. Thanks anyway.

#15 Bert

Bert

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 103 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 28 July 2011 - 04:25 PM

Got a lift with my old man tonight and he said you can get a white rubber lubricant for this purpose. ..Sold for model aircraft, the type that use a twisted rubber band to propel them. Hope that helps ;)

#16 Scouter

Scouter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 29 July 2011 - 03:12 AM

One advantage of being a hobby addict is you can use stuff from one hobby to another... Bert's Dad was spot on- The guys who fly free flight model aircraft (rubber powered) have been using rubber lube for years, those guys know rubber! Years back we used a 50/50 mix of Green soap and glycerin, you had to boil off the alcohol in the soap first.. It was good but messy. Then came Armor All or Son of a Gun polymer products and they were used, some guys used pure Silicone sprays, a company called A2Z (formally Peck Polymers) has two types of rubber lube used by the free flight guys ... Here is their website- http://www.a2zcorp.u...ies:Rubber Lube
Hope this helps! =)

#17 saurian

saurian
  • Silver Sponsor Silver Sponsor
  • 52 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:16 PM

Silicone will lubricate and not rot the bands, but if you get it on the band tie it may come undone, most ties will need friction

#18 Bert

Bert

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 103 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:11 PM

Ooh if anyone want Silicone i've just aquired a half full 5 ltr bottle of Dow Corning 200. ..uk please

#19 newconvert

newconvert

4000+ Post Club

• Gold Sponsor Gold Sponsor
  • 5,252 posts
  • Locationdenver, co.

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:59 PM

In most cases for mono fishing line, natural rubber goods, bicycle tubes and tires, and a wide variety of other synthetics, I use this method. I first clean the material with a commercial hand cleaner named "GOOP" {theres an illustration of a hand on the container). Rinse completely to remove all dirt, oils and foreign substances...allow to dry and apply ARMORALL, another popular rubber and synthetic cleaner and protector. This seems safe to use, and I have soaked rubber goods for an extended period of time with no adverse reactions. It`s excellent for extending the life and strength of fishing line...even 1 pound test lines.

armorall is supposed to once dried act as a magnifier, this would cause heat damage, it looks great but does accelerate car interior deterioration.

#20 Hrawk

Hrawk

Hedonistic Decedance

• Gold Sponsor Gold Sponsor
  • 6,391 posts
  • LocationNSW Australia

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:02 PM

I'm a big fan of dusting my bands with a bit of talc, especially double / triple bands.

For me, this really seems to help with band life.

--Click to Remove Ads--