#1 Nico

Nico

Resigned

• Banned
  • 729 posts
  • LocationResigned

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:25 AM

Hi all

Stelug's post on hunting with stone bows has reawakend my interest in acquiring a working replica of the stone/pellet shooting crossbows used to hunt birds in the trees.

They used to use these with baked earth clay balls and later lead balls..

Does anyone know a source?

Nico

#2 e~shot

e~shot

~Pouch Maker~

• Gold Sponsor Gold Sponsor
  • 12,853 posts
  • LocationSri Lanka

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:39 AM

Nico, check this pic, I have no idea where I downloaded this from

Posted Image

#3 magnet

magnet
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 04:29 PM

Hi all

Stelug's post on hunting with stone bows has reawakend my interest in acquiring a working replica of the stone/pellet shooting crossbows used to hunt birds in the trees.

Nico

Hi take a look at the book of the crossbow by Ralph payne Gallwey and try Tods stuff he is a maker of these . Hope this helps Magnethttp://www.todsstuff.co.uk/

Edited by magnet, 03 June 2011 - 04:43 PM.

#4 NoSugarRob

NoSugarRob

Resigned

• Banned
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationEngland UK

Posted 04 June 2011 - 04:35 AM

this looks good Nico. Keep us upto date with how you go on this please. gonna google stone crossbow right now.

#5 tubeman

tubeman

Resigned

• Banned
  • 1,087 posts
  • LocationGlasgow, Scotland

Posted 04 June 2011 - 05:03 AM

Nico, check this pic, I have no idea where I downloaded this from

Posted Image

Possibly this site http://www.knightsed...t-crossbow.aspx

#6 NoSugarRob

NoSugarRob

Resigned

• Banned
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationEngland UK

Posted 04 June 2011 - 06:00 AM

i liked this.. its quite elegant i think, un cluttered.. i just like it
http://www.brlsi.org...hibit.cfm?id=27

#7 Nico

Nico

Resigned

• Banned
  • 729 posts
  • LocationResigned

Posted 11 June 2011 - 11:50 AM

Thanks guys,

I know they wont be cheap as I saw on todd's stuff they are for 750 pounds thats 56 hours of work for me right there, but it would be awesome to one day own a functional classic stone crossbow and take some game with it.

When I have less bills to pay then I will invest in one of these unless I can find something within my current budget.

I'd build one myself if I knew better about crossbows but my forte is slingshots..

Nico

#8 ulfenspirit

ulfenspirit
  • Registered
  • 35 posts
  • Locationunited kingdom

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:30 AM

Hi Nico.

Just thought Id mention this book.I recieved it yesterday for my birthday.
"The practical guide to......MAN POWERED WEAPONS AND AMMUNITION" (experiments-- with Catapults,Musketballs,Stonebows,Blowpipes,Big Airguns,and Bullet Bows.) BY Richard Middleton. Theres lots of info on the specifics on Ammunition and Velocities. Chapter 3....Yew-wood BULLET CROSSBOW . crossbows, . The books a very technical but a great reference,and very intresting. Regards Dean (Ulfen spirit)

Thanks guys,

I know they wont be cheap as I saw on todd's stuff they are for 750 pounds thats 56 hours of work for me right there, but it would be awesome to one day own a functional classic stone crossbow and take some game with it.

When I have less bills to pay then I will invest in one of these unless I can find something within my current budget.

I'd build one myself if I knew better about crossbows but my forte is slingshots..

Nico

#9 JoergS

JoergS

2000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationLichtenfels County, Upper Franconia, Germany

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:47 PM

I have that book as well and like it.

#10 aussie commando

aussie commando
  • Registered
  • 12 posts
  • Locationipswich

Posted 28 June 2011 - 03:05 AM

hey i seen this on on the google images

Attached Thumbnails

• bow_uncocked_sm.jpg

#11 Warhammer1

Warhammer1

Resident Nutcase

• Registered
  • 132 posts
  • LocationHamilton Ontario Canada

Posted 21 July 2011 - 04:47 AM

Try www.thedarkblade.com

W.

Hi all

Nico

#12 stelug

stelug

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 273 posts
  • Locationitaly

Posted 21 August 2011 - 06:16 AM

Hi nico, saddly I read this post very late. Butt let me add that a crossbow is nothing else than two sticks tighteeen toghether with a trigger-release system. Infact for centuries it had been the elementary weapon of the poor country man who cannot afford the cost of a good bow. I sayt that because I am shure with your's skill's you can achieve a good do it your' self success, choosing for the bow some harmonic steel (better not a sinngle piece but more layers to avoid cathatsrofic brekings) or mae be also tightineng at the ends of a forks some strong elastuics (arbalete concepts). I made my first crosbow at ten years using old umbrella's limbs both for the arrows and (tightened toghether) for the limbs and I am not proud sayng that it was e real lethal wepon that prooved to be able to kill (short distance) any living subject in my place (lukly I did not tested on humans :) )

Ps: For the limbs the rods where tightened in a decreasing numbers: six, five or four at center ending with only two or one at the tips, so to have an exceptioonal speed and an adequate drawing force

Edited by stelug, 21 August 2011 - 06:23 AM.

#13 Nico

Nico

Resigned

• Banned
  • 729 posts
  • LocationResigned

Posted 24 August 2011 - 07:36 PM

Thanks guys I havent abandoned this project all together as to whether buying an authentic working replica or gasp making one which I have limited time to invest I'd rather have one made.

Its mostly for aesthetic reasons as I am much more content with my homemade slingshots for hunting and work extremely well for that purpose.

Thanks everyone for the input

Nico

--Click to Remove Ads--