Non-Leather Pouch Materials?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 archerben15

archerben15
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSt. louis

Posted 24 August 2011 - 09:09 PM

I have made pouches out of lots of things in my life, but the ones that work the best were all buckskin leather between 3/16" and 2/8". duct tape works but they need to be replaced alot. thin tire rubber can also work somewhat decently.

#22 gabeb

gabeb

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 318 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 April 2016 - 01:38 PM

My choice is elk hide. I get it from a local fly fishing shop where they throw away the fur patches. You have to cut off as much fur as possible, burn it with a lighter, rub it on a semi-circle file then repeat until there is only hide. They are great and last more than 1000 shots even with hunting bands. Moose hide is even better but it takes a lot more work. The best part is that unlike kangaroo, pigskin, or cowhide pouches is that with a little work the materials are free.

#23 Chuck Daehler

Chuck Daehler

2000 Post Club

• 2,300 posts
  • LocationThe splendor of Ecuador's high Andes, 9000 ft

Posted 29 April 2016 - 09:24 PM

I get the most satisfaction and tactile feedback using ordinary cow hide. I'm sure other leathers, and exotic ones, can "feel better" somehow but for me, it's just good ole cow hide, suede to the fingers, slick to the ammo...suede is more tactile and sticks better to fingers than the top grain side. I've bought leather scraps at a pittance from a leather shop in town but that was to use for things other than pouches, I've used shoes and boots for most of my pouches and they were not too thick and gnarly either.

Edited by Chuck Daehler, 29 April 2016 - 09:25 PM.

#24 Phoul Mouth

Phoul Mouth

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 825 posts
  • Location9th Circle of Hades, also known as Massachusetts.

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:13 PM

Anyone ever tried Jeans?  If you sew 2 layers properly jean material is hella strong.

#25 Phoul Mouth

Phoul Mouth

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 825 posts
  • Location9th Circle of Hades, also known as Massachusetts.

Posted 01 May 2016 - 05:25 PM

i use canvas from some of my older sails if you sew the ends off so you have no split ends it works great and its cheap

I'd love to see a few pics of these to see how you did them.

#26 Chuck Daehler

Chuck Daehler

2000 Post Club

• 2,300 posts
  • LocationThe splendor of Ecuador's high Andes, 9000 ft

Posted 02 May 2016 - 06:31 PM

The jeans/denim idea sounds good, it would be quite tactile, i.e. not slippery. Yeah, I can see sewing a pouch with double layer denim, with a surge on the edge to prevent fraying, and perhaps a button hole stitch to prevent tear outs might be kewl. And it would look kewl too. I guess there are a lot of viable alternatives to leather if one is absolutely not going to use leather. Worst nightmare for a vegan, having to walk the plank made of beef jerky into an ocean of cow's blood. Eeeuuuuw.

My ex sister-in-law is a vegan, she visited us once here in Ecuador, not a scrap of leather on her..all synthetics and cotton to include shoes. Man, she could cook! Vegan hamburgers were delicious and so was the vegan meatloaf (sorry, lentil loaf). But I had the worst case of breaking wind I can remember. I think I created an explosive atmosphere. Gawd! I coulda blown myself up! I left vegan in the wind (literally and boy did I) after she left and went back to being a carnivore. I do feel guilty eating an animal which died in misery for my spaghetti meat sauce and pork chops and fried chicken, but all in all I'm not gonna change.

#27 Bajaja

Bajaja

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 779 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 18 May 2016 - 01:55 AM

I use linatex pouch for two years and never go back for leather. Sorry for poor pic quality..

#28 HurdalikCini

HurdalikCini
  • Registered
  • 12 posts
  • LocationAnatolia

Posted 04 March 2017 - 03:25 PM

Since im too lazy to go find some leather i use ribbon bands to make pouches. Simply make 2 stopper knots on each end of a 15cm piece and its ready. Attaching to tubes is really easily. Tho i dont know how would one attach it to flats.

It lasts apprx 300 shots

#29 inconvenience

inconvenience

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,374 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA, USA

Posted 13 April 2017 - 12:41 PM

My absolute fave is the single layer Roo from Simple-Shot. When you get them they are a littke stiff. I just carry them around a few days and rub them like a worry stone when I think about it. They become buttery soft while being the strongest pouches I have encountered. I have used triple 3/4" x 1/2" .040 with them (when I first shot through a coconut) and the light thin pouch handled even that much pull.

I have punches and stuff. But nothing I can make is as good.

Edited by inconvenience, 13 April 2017 - 12:43 PM.

#30 Js77

Js77
  • Registered
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:19 PM

I like the feel of cowhide also, even though it's thick and adds some weight to the pouch. Reducing speed and causing painful hand slaps. Correct me on the speed thing if I am wrong about that? Overtime though they break in and become soft and easier to manage.

Edited by Js77, 21 April 2017 - 08:22 PM.

#31 Js77

Js77
  • Registered
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:41 PM

The jeans/denim idea sounds good, it would be quite tactile, i.e. not slippery. Yeah, I can see sewing a pouch with double layer denim, with a surge on the edge to prevent fraying, and perhaps a button hole stitch to prevent tear outs might be kewl. And it would look kewl too. I guess there are a lot of viable alternatives to leather if one is absolutely not going to use leather. Worst nightmare for a vegan, having to walk the plank made of beef jerky into an ocean of cow's blood. Eeeuuuuw.

My ex sister-in-law is a vegan, she visited us once here in Ecuador, not a scrap of leather on her..all synthetics and cotton to include shoes. Man, she could cook! Vegan hamburgers were delicious and so was the vegan meatloaf (sorry, lentil loaf). But I had the worst case of breaking wind I can remember. I think I created an explosive atmosphere. Gawd! I coulda blown myself up! I left vegan in the wind (literally and boy did I) after she left and went back to being a carnivore. I do feel guilty eating an animal which died in misery for my spaghetti meat sauce and pork chops and fried chicken, but all in all I'm not gonna change.

#32 Js77

Js77
  • Registered
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:05 PM

🙂

#33 the core

the core

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 185 posts
  • LocationMünster Germany

Posted 22 April 2017 - 10:48 AM

I love the synthetic stuff of these new chinese pouches.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

#34 kupis

kupis

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 111 posts
  • LocationTarragona

Posted Today, 04:45 AM

Where do you get the red ones??

Thanks

Enviado desde mi C5303 mediante Tapatalk

#35 romanljc

romanljc

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 374 posts
  • LocationNorth East USA

Posted Today, 06:53 AM

I have made them out of duck tape over paper and that works pretty good but nothing beats a good piece of cow hide for me .

Edited by romanljc, Today, 07:08 AM.

#36 the core

the core

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 185 posts
  • LocationMünster Germany

Posted Today, 01:06 PM

Where do you get the red ones??
Thanks
Enviado desde mi C5303 mediante Tapatalk

I found them on ebay.uk.
They cost only a few bucks and wordwide shipping is free!

--Click to Remove Ads--