Non-Leather Pouch Materials?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Rahdzhilla

Rahdzhilla
  • 1 posts
  • Locationmichigander

Posted 14 May 2011 - 08:27 PM

Lookin to do my first fab on a slingshot and thinking about ratchet strap material for the pouch, any other options?

#2 Flatband

Flatband

4000+ Post Club

• Moderators Moderators
  • 4,642 posts
  • LocationNY/NJ Metro Region

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:06 PM

Hi Zhilla,
well I've tried a ton of materials over the years and I always come back to good Cowhide leather. Pigskin is also very nice. Kangaroo is probably the strongest of leathers but you have to get the right thickness (Falconry Grade) and it is expensive. I have tried Nylon,Plastic,Rubber,screen Netting, a variety of textiles,and I even gave a few different tape types a try-(Good Old Duct Tape was the best). My advice,stick with leather,it' s the best material. Have fun! Flatband :)

#3 huey224

huey224

500 Post Club

• 525 posts
  • Locationaustralia

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:02 PM

i found a very nice peice of kangaroo leather but not sure how thick it was, and it was about $30 aud.

#4 e~shot

e~shot

~Pouch Maker~

• Gold Sponsor Gold Sponsor
  • 15,471 posts
  • LocationSri Lanka

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:55 AM

Check this link http://slingshotforu...h__1#entry48039

#5 Dayhiker

Dayhiker

Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz

• Bronze Sponsor Bronze Sponsor
  • 11,196 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 May 2011 - 11:32 AM

Irfan, thanks for reminding me about this. I had fully intended to follow up on Wingshooter's instructional posts on how to weave pouches. But unfortunately I have the attention span of a ferret on caffeine. i will try to remember not to forget. :)

Wingshooter is one of the best!

#6 e~shot

e~shot

~Pouch Maker~

• Gold Sponsor Gold Sponsor
  • 15,471 posts
  • LocationSri Lanka

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:13 AM

Check this post too http://slingshotforu...am-a-hillbilly/

#7 Elastic Innovations

Elastic Innovations
  • 16 posts
  • LocationLong Beach

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:06 AM

good idea.. it should be strong enough.

I have been toying with the idea of using seat belt material. The only thing with using nylon material is singing all the cut ends so it doesnt ravel. I had also thought of possibly using small gromets for the banding holes. I have gotten no farther than just thinking about this though.
Paul(INDIANA)

#8 Elastic Innovations

Elastic Innovations
  • 16 posts
  • LocationLong Beach

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:10 AM

I always wanted to use some sort of kevlar/carbon material. I know it would be strong/light enough, but it would take some really precision sewing skills. Also, the problem with textiles is that their fibers could get snagged and start to fray. I have always liked diverse materials on my slingshots!

#9 Hit and run

Hit and run

100 Post Club

• 141 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 20 May 2011 - 05:00 AM

I have been toying with the idea of using seat belt material. The only thing with using nylon material is singing all the cut ends so it doesnt ravel. I had also thought of possibly using small gromets for the banding holes. I have gotten no farther than just thinking about this though.
Paul(INDIANA)

You could heat the ends up with a lighter to prevent the raveling. When it's molten you can even shape it a bit so it has no sharp edges.

#10 frogman

frogman

Banned

• Banned
  • 342 posts
  • Locationmarianna fl.

Posted 21 May 2011 - 08:22 AM

There has been several posts showing a "how to" of Nylon woven pouches. I like Nylon for it's toughness, but, that is where it stops. The problem with Nylon is it is too slick, or slippery and can cause what I call misfires. On the release the material is so slick that the projectile can slip and you get misfires. I have to throw in with Flatband, LEATHER is the way to go. Frogman

#11 NightKnight

NightKnight

SSF Founder

• Administrators Admin
  • 5,077 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida, USA

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:16 AM

Have you tried using the self centering plastic pouches that Saunders uses on their Black Mamba bands? It is probably the lightest and most durable pouch I have seen yet.

#12 dgui

dgui

Resigned

• Resigned
  • 5,563 posts
  • Locationusa

Posted 24 May 2011 - 12:38 PM

Dont like the Plastic Pouches so I cut them off of the bands and make two sets of bands.

#13 ERdept

ERdept

500 Post Club

• 532 posts
  • LocationLA, California

Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:25 PM

SOMEONE please try TYVEK.

You know the post office mailing envelope you can't tear open.

They sell strips of it on ebay...............

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item6fc3d61f96

#14 TimR

TimR

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 283 posts
  • LocationCentral Virginia

Posted 10 June 2011 - 06:54 PM

SOMEONE please try TYVEK.

You know the post office mailing envelope you can't tear open.

They sell strips of it on ebay...............

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item6fc3d61f96

I had one of those mailing envelopes so i cut a pouch today. Punched a hole, used my finger to stretch it, and it shredded. It may be hard to open a package but an ounce of pressure is enough with a hole.

#15 Aras

Aras

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 721 posts
  • LocationLithuania

Posted 11 June 2011 - 01:39 AM

Maybe you could use a little piece of a ecologic shopping bag. Strong fabrique

#16 WC28

WC28
  • 49 posts
  • LocationFt. Myers Beach FL

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:46 PM

i use canvas from some of my older sails if you sew the ends off so you have no split ends it works great and its cheap

#17 NaturalFork

NaturalFork

No other shooting sport compares.

• Bronze Sponsor Bronze Sponsor
  • 6,270 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 11 June 2011 - 11:07 PM

I am telling you guys. Try the Scotch tough tape. It is indestructible as a slingshot pouch and super light.

#18 dustyjoe

dustyjoe
  • 27 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 22 July 2011 - 10:48 AM

im in the prosses of tring gorilla tape increadibly strong held my weaight about 130lbs folded 5times and it weighs 4grams trimmed up.the only scotch tough tape I could find was clear dont know if thats usuall

#19 Scouter

Scouter
  • 24 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 29 July 2011 - 05:13 AM

For years I always used a piece of rubber bicycle inner tube... Worked great!

#20 wildwilly

wildwilly

100 Post Club

• 116 posts
  • LocationSylacauga, Alabama

Posted 23 August 2011 - 10:38 PM

I think Footballs are made of pig leather that is why they are called pig skins. might be a good source for pouch leather if you dont mind taking apart a Football. Watch out thought some Footballs are made of vinyl or plastic old worn out high school practice balls may be a good source to check out. I may check some of the local schools myself as a matter of fact. Thanks to all who suggested pig leather !!!

--Click to Remove Ads--