• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Ghost Tracker

Ghost Tracker
  • Registered
  • 11 posts
  • LocationKentucky Backwoods

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:14 PM

Longtime lurker.  Have a buncha'  tube-equipped stuff (Wrist Rocket(s), Barnett "Diablo" circa 1980?, Marksman compound in box - terrible shooter BTW, plus etc. etc.).  I've decided to step-up to a pinch-grip, banded, grown-up slingshot.  My pinky-to-thumb-tip span is 8.5".  I want band & tube versatility, plan to experiment for utility, accuracy is paramount (if I do MY part).  I'm leaning toward a Hayes Scorpion or a Simpleshot Scout. Would like to stay within ~$45 budget.  I searched the forum archives (not too web-savvy).  I need input/opinions from human beings. 'Cuz if I don't, like pistol holsters, I'll have to store my bad-buys in an... even bigger garage. Thanks folks!     

#2 brucered

brucered

Spin, spin

• Registered
  • 1,654 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:23 PM

Welcome, glad you joined us.

As for a suggestions on a frame that meets your budget, I have but one word....Scout.

https://simple-shot....scout-slingshot

Edited by brucered, 19 June 2017 - 12:24 PM.

#3 mattwalt

mattwalt

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 827 posts
  • LocationStratford Upon Avon

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:23 PM

Scorpion is Band-only I think... boyscout and topshot may be options from PP?

I'd recommend the Scout personally. Though almost any option from either of those companies would be good.

#4 Ghost Tracker

Ghost Tracker
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:00 PM

Thanks gents.  BTW, appreciate the heads-up on the "band only" Scorpion.  Scout seems like a good launch-point, and they ship...immediately.   

#5 CornDawg

CornDawg

Batter Dipped

• Moderators Moderators
  • 900 posts
  • LocationU.S.A. Pacific Northwest

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:45 PM

Welcome Ghost Tracker!  Yep. Scout.

Get extra flip-clips.  Have fun-   :)

#6 AaronMB

AaronMB
  • Registered
  • 59 posts
  • LocationCentral Oregon

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:42 PM

Welcome.
I recently ordered a Scout and now that I have it, can't believe I waited so long.

#7 Tag

Tag

3000 Post Club

• Silver Sponsor Silver Sponsor
  • 3,693 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:26 PM

I agree with the previous advice on the Scout👍👏but😳😜depending on the size of your hand should also be considered when buying a slingshot.IMG_0017.JPG IMG_0017.JPG the Lil Ranger prototype( Pocket Predator) is another good choice. Which ever one you choose, just have a good time😊

#8 JTslinger

JTslinger

1000 Post Club

• Moderators Moderators
  • 1,264 posts
  • LocationNorthern Utah

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:27 PM

The Scout is a fantastic frame that can do flats and tubes. I'd also recommend looking at the Axiom Ocularis or Maxim Ocularis as they can also handle tubes and flat bands.

#9 Ibojoe

Ibojoe

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:28 AM

I've got to say.... Scout. Great to start out with. Great to finish with. It's a very versatile frame

#10 brucered

brucered

Spin, spin

• Registered
  • 1,654 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:30 AM

I've got to say.... Scout. Great to start out with. Great to finish with. It's a very versatile frame

Still loving mine. Haven't felt the need to step up to $$$ customs yet.

#11 SamuraiSamoht

SamuraiSamoht

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 732 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:37 PM

Scout with Flip-Clips for sure! One of the most versatile frames available for whatever setup you need. It's great for beginner and veteran shooters imo. My favourite pinch grip Ocularis frames right now are the BeanFlip and the R10.O, both from Simpleshot. The Ocularis plugs allow for flatbands and tubes.

The Scorpion is an excellent dedicated TTF shooter ideal for flatbands, but it would accept tubes if you wanted to. It does not have the same versatility as the Scout for obvious reasons but its great for its intended setup.

#12 mattwalt

mattwalt

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 827 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:44 PM

R10.O - another great choice. 

#13 brucered

brucered

Spin, spin

• Registered
  • 1,654 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:55 PM

They need to release the R10 in YellowJacket. Since they started releasing them in that material, the all black ones look so blah.

Edited by brucered, 20 June 2017 - 12:56 PM.

#14 SamuraiSamoht

SamuraiSamoht

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 732 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:00 PM

They need to release the R10 in YellowJacket. Since they started releasing them in that material, the all black ones look so blah.

I agree! Add the aiming dimps and Yellow Jacket hdpe and I would be all over that. :)

Edited by SamuraiSamoht, 20 June 2017 - 01:01 PM.

#15 Stixshooter

Stixshooter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:29 PM

Just a few words of advice—You may want to start shooting OTT, twisting the pouch to avoid fork hits, and then move to TTF. Fork hits are demoralizing when you're starting out. I started OTT, and then moved into TTF as well. I shoot both now. Pay attention to which is your dominant eye, since that will most likely determine which hand holds the sling. Some slings (ie. Scorpion), are "handed", so make sure you know what you want. I'd recommend lighter bands and ammo to start (1/4" and TB Blue is fun and cheap) so that you can endure longer shooting sessions while polishing your form and not fighting fatigue. Since I'm cross-dominant (ie. right handed, left eye dominant), I had to get used to drawing with my left (weaker) hand. Lighter bands helped me maintain better form.

As far as choices go, this may help you out:

Scout: Can easily switch between OTT/TTF. Flip clips keep band changes easy. Not great for tubes, but can accommodate them. Tough poly carbonate. On the down side, not as pocketable and the most expensive of the group ($39-Free shipping).

Axiom/Maxim Occularis: Occularis system makes it easy to try different bands and shooting styles (OTT/TTF), but has one advantage over flip clips: You can easily adjust your band length. HDPE will show fork hits. Mid priced ($24.99—Add some tubing or an extra bandset to get over $25 for free shipping).

Torque: Takes bands and tubes (comes with looped tubes). OTT (but can be made into a TTF tube shooter—See mods threads). Tough poly carbonate. Mid priced ($24.99—Add an extra bandset to get over $25 for free shipping).

TopShot: Takes bands and tubes. OTT. Tough poly carbonate. Cheapest of the bunch ($19.95—I think shipping is free), and in stock.

So here's my 2¢:

By all means, get a Scout—but why not wait for a sale from Simpleshot so you don't have to pay $40? In the mean time, since Bill doesn't do sales (at least that I've seen) grab a TopShot for $20. I like this sling way more than I thought I would—It's really comfortable, pocketable and fun, not to mention tough. I'm quite accurate with it, and it's easy to take with you an practice when you have a few minutes.You can experiment with tubes and flats, then when SimpleShot runs a sale, pick up a Scout or Occularis sling. If you really like OTT, you may want to try the Torque too. Have fun!

Edited by Stixshooter, 20 June 2017 - 09:30 PM.

#16 ghost0311/8541

ghost0311/8541

3000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationUS MARINE, HUNTER ,BACKWOODSMAN , IN FLORIDA

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:32 PM

Are you stalking me ha I can't be tracked

Try a universal boy scout

#17 mattwalt

mattwalt

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 827 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:47 PM

Also fantastic value for money as you get a full-setup - https://simple-shot....-yellow-jacket/

The Torque is awesome but I'd recommend only if you're more 'seasoned'. With looped tubes you need to keep track of how everything lines up (more so than other frames I have tried) esp. with the narrow fork gap. Just when you get comfortable it has a habit of biting. Its the only frame I have ever had frame hits with (shooter error - bad day). I suspect with bands its not a big an issue.

#18 Ibojoe

Ibojoe

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:03 AM

I second that emotion Matt. It's one of my favorite frames but the only one that I've ever had a fork hit on. Not a beginner frame imo.

#19 Ghost Tracker

Ghost Tracker
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 08:44 AM

Are you stalking me ha I can't be tracked

With all due respect, you are NOT the first bloodless banshee who believed that to...be true.  :D  

#20 Ghost Tracker

Ghost Tracker
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 08:48 AM

Appreciate everyone's thought-provoking input.  I should have been talkin' with y'all for YEARS!  :iono:

--Click to Remove Ads--