14 replies to this topic

#1 RHTWIST

RHTWIST

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 444 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:05 AM

Talking on SNs chalice; I can't seem to post pics to reply.  Here is a SS, pre-finish, (kinda of my MO) with ply applied for strength.. just in case. 

During my "conduit project" (more to come, as now it turns and I have also made what I feel is the better solution) BUT ANYWAY I grabbed this rotten tree fork I collected and just started having at it.

2 slingshots during the same hours at the bench, work on one, put it down, work on the other.

The wood was kinda coming off in that mealy sort of way, and very easy for maple, though seemed strong I did not trust my little fork bases.  So, I applied 3/16s hobby ply to the face of the forks.

This is even after the "sculpt" so my glue lines are a bit big; but I will stain the whole thing dark and it will be ok.  

Early on in my SS making I had a fork break on a thick poplar board cut, thank God

on the outgoing shot (107s) and not the pulling back.  Taught me a lesson quick. -CD

Attached Thumbnails

• SS maple fork w ply front.jpg
  • SS maple fork w ply top.jpg
  • SS maple fork w ply in hand.jpg

#2 brucered

brucered

Spin, spin

• Registered
  • 1,677 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:24 AM

Ply applied to a natural.....I love it.

Fantastic stuff.

#3 MikmaqWarrior

MikmaqWarrior

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 884 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:39 AM

Cool!!

Sent from my B1-770 using Tapatalk

#4 Abenso

Abenso

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 285 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:43 AM

Cool look, with some stain that ply is gonna POP!

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

#5 SlingNerd

SlingNerd

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 234 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:02 AM

I know that the moral here is "just be super careful about fork strength" and I completely appreciate it.

Two things!

1. I've saved a couple bucks, so I'll be investing in a drill bit and some rod stock so I can pin my mini shooters, which ought to assuage anyone's strength concerns. Hopefully that learning curve isn't too steep..

2.Post the template for that frame it's a BEAUT and I want one!

#6 RHTWIST

RHTWIST

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 444 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:34 AM

Ply applied to a natural.....I love it.

Fantastic stuff.

Bruce, when I questioned the strength, I just filed to a flat the area of application.  Sandwiched my ply and traced; rough cut the ply and bonded with epoxy;  then I re-sculpted to "somewhat" the original curves. -CD

#7 RHTWIST

RHTWIST

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 444 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:44 AM

The great question in thought bubbles:  "does this guy ever fully sand and finish a slingshot...https://www.youtube....h?v=CahNAauFgys

• Tag likes this

#8 RHTWIST

RHTWIST

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 444 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:10 PM

The great question in thought bubbles:  "does this guy ever fully sand and finish a slingshot...https://www.youtube....h?v=CahNAauFgys

Of course this joke is aimed at self, not SlingNerd. -CD

• Tag likes this

#9 BROOKS

BROOKS

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 283 posts
  • LocationMD

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:11 PM

Looks good. I like how the ply looks too!

#10 I like rubber

I like rubber
  • 26 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:10 PM

Love the ply wood and natural put together looks great

#11 flipgun

flipgun

3000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 3,096 posts
  • Locationtexas

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:19 PM

That is a nice form. 

#12 devils son in law

devils son in law

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,317 posts
  • Locationmichigan

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:03 AM

Looks like a winner, twisty!!

#13 RHTWIST

RHTWIST

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 444 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:11 AM

Thanks for the reply's.  This post was more about what I did to insure safety than the fork itself, but I have literally hundreds of drawings prior to this model. I have labored for form, shoot-ability and pocket-abilty,  

It is one of my last C-SHOT designs; this has morph'd into the TILT.  These shoot great as pinch/fist, center knuckle high forks to the side; but also with fingers on forks.  Will do a post at some point on this.  

I re-designed this C-SHOT last night, with 1/4" less fork height and 1/4" less fork width for a bit tighter compact model.

I will carry both templates. -CD

#14 brucered

brucered

Spin, spin

• Registered
  • 1,677 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:16 AM

I admire your prep and planning. I usually start out planning to make one style and end up making something completely different.

#15 RHTWIST

RHTWIST

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 444 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:31 PM

I admire your prep and planning. I usually start out planning to make one style and end up making something completely different.

Bruce, I absolutely have done mostly that on my naturals, just digging in and seeing where the fork takes me.  I have this quest to see if I could design a tight, comfortable ply board cut and I am still working the lines.  The planning is totally different than the "free form"

fork carving but it is neat that some of the aspects of my tree forks have helped me with this board cut design and I have applied the template to tree forks. -CD

--Click to Remove Ads--