#1 inconvenience

inconvenience

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,447 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA, USA

Posted 18 June 2017 - 08:16 AM

Hey all.

I was drilling the lanyard hole in my latest Torpedo amd got it off center. I'm livid as this was my first time doing nice scales.

I actually centered it but did not keep drill 90 degrees all the way.

A drill press is gonna be my first major tool.

It shoots fine. I plan to go ahead and finish it.

I did some sanding and oiled for grain.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170618_075049.jpg

#2 you'llshootyereyeout

you'llshootyereyeout

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,269 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:05 AM

Bummer. Looks sweet tho. You might try only drilling half way through from each side next time.

#3 brucered

brucered

Spin, spin

• Registered
  • 1,677 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:48 AM

You'll be the only one who now's, except all of us now! It doesn't affect shooting or asthetics when you slap a lanyard in there.

You could always take a rasp to it and make it even by working the thicker side. Another option is plug it, re-drill a bigger hole that engulfs the old one but is centered.

Edited by brucered, 18 June 2017 - 11:50 AM.

#4 inconvenience

inconvenience

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:55 AM

You'll be the only one who now's, except all of us now! It doesn't affect shooting or asthetics when you slap a lanyard in there.

You could always take a rasp to it and make it even by working the thicker side. Another option is plug it, re-drill a bigger hole that engulfs the old one but is centered.

Thanks B.

If the rest of it turns out good I'll use my razor saw cut the Mahogany tip off and replace it with a contrasting wood. Maybe some of the Pecan I harvested.

You are so right. I can turn a bug into a feature. No biggy.

#5 inconvenience

inconvenience

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:56 AM

Bummer. Looks sweet tho. You might try only drilling half way through from each side next time.

Thanks bro. My best one so far is the one inspired by yours. Those stripes on the bamboo make it easy to keep symmetry too.

#6 mattwalt

mattwalt

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 842 posts
  • LocationStratford Upon Avon

Posted 18 June 2017 - 12:13 PM

Actually the handle looks pretty long - you could probably cut it down and reshape?

#7 inconvenience

inconvenience

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 12:59 PM

Actually the handle looks pretty long - you could probably cut it down and reshape?

Yea. I make them the size Danny made his last ones. It's like 5&1/2" total. It just feels right. The leverage lets me use even triple TBG without hurting my wrist.

I could cut it yes. But I just like the way the proportions are and the way the lanyard sits.

#8 Ibojoe

Ibojoe

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 18 June 2017 - 05:03 PM

Just tell everyone you intended it to be like that.lol!! It looks stunning!!

#9 Grandpa Pete

Grandpa Pete

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 519 posts
  • LocationColorado USA

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:46 AM

I used to have a friend, a real craftsman, who had a sign in his workshop that read, "APPRECIATE THE BEAUTY OF IMPERFECTION" . 

The Navajo intentionally weave an imperfection into their rugs....because only God is perfect.

GP

#10 SamuraiSamoht

SamuraiSamoht

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 732 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:55 AM

Looks great to me. Nice job!

#11 inconvenience

inconvenience

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:19 AM

I used to have a friend, a real craftsman, who had a sign in his workshop that read, "APPRECIATE THE BEAUTY OF IMPERFECTION" . 
The Navajo intentionally weave an imperfection into their rugs....because only God is perfect.
GP

The Japanese have a very simmilar philosophy. The word escapes me at the moment. "Perfection in imperfection."

I'm slowly shaping it and it's not nearly as bad as I thought. I may just emlarge it a bit once I have a drill press, and add a brass tube. I wanna add brass pins too

Here it is now. (My main phone camera is broken atm). I also wanted to show the first time I have ever used spacers.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2017-06-20 12.15.53.jpg
  • 2017-06-20 12.16.49.jpg
  • 2017-06-20 12.17.43.jpg

#12 mattwalt

mattwalt

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 842 posts
  • LocationStratford Upon Avon

Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:28 AM

I once had 'that' conversation with a friend who works for Human User Electronic Interface Experience Dynamics (or something) at Audi in Stuttgart. I believe imperfections are more human - they tell you more about something and its creator than something thats perfect. And that by adding imperfection or irregularities its easier for humans to accept and form relationships with. Obviously being German - his eyes were boiling in their sockets and his brain had turned to jello...

Think it looks great actually - only you'd know it was 'off' - so don't point it out.

Edited by mattwalt, 20 June 2017 - 11:38 AM.

#13 brucered

brucered

Spin, spin

• Registered
  • 1,677 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:37 AM

What did you use for spacers? It looks like you've been using them for years.

#14 inconvenience

inconvenience

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:46 AM

Ha thanks Bruce! It's just super fine birch multiplex. Like 3 layers per 1/8". It was a last minute idea.

I'll post the "finished" SS in a day or two. Waiting on replacement phone anyway.

--Click to Remove Ads--