15 replies to this topic

#1 mattwalt

mattwalt

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 627 posts
  • LocationStratford Upon Avon

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:27 AM

How old should a child be before one should teach them how to use a slingshot? 

• Tag likes this

#2 busySteve

busySteve

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 246 posts
  • LocationBuford, GA

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:30 AM

How old should a child be before one should teach them how to use a slingshot?

Some kids are more mature than others. I don't find it to be age, but maturity. You have to sense and gauge that though.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

#3 mattwalt

mattwalt

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 627 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:48 AM

Thanks Steve - fair enough... but its double sided though - Think as supervised the maturity can be younger as being allowed complete shooting freedom. By youngest is super keen - but lacks the dexterity to load the sling. However while being helped he's actually having fun and being fairly safe (using 6mm plastic airsoft ammo). 

I used to run an archery club which stipulated children may be no younger than 12 - for maturity reasons (possibly a little old there). 

• Tag likes this

#4 Abenso

Abenso

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 155 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:51 AM

I made a mini sling for my 3 yr old. She hasn't shot it yet but she's really excited. I think with beans or airsoft or even rice. The risk is minimal. The double band is for my 8 yr old.5604dbecbd9d6c8dc845bfbde2a58127.jpg

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

#5 busySteve

busySteve

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 246 posts
  • LocationBuford, GA

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:52 AM

Rayshot make magnetic pouches that make load a breeze. Here are photo with 1/4 inch ammo.

edba42b8b04cd65fea07113ce6dc00d2.jpg

• Tag likes this

#6 mattwalt

mattwalt

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 627 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:00 AM

Mine is 3 as well. Really keen - seen me shooting often enough. Need to organise him a hammer grip style SS, with a softer leather pouch. I'm using elastic bands on his for the moment.

Thanks Steve - only thing with his age I'd prefer to keep to lighter (and larger) non-metallic ammo at this stage. Your slingshot is very nice.

Edited by mattwalt, 18 May 2017 - 07:03 AM.

• Tag likes this

#7 busySteve

busySteve

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 246 posts
  • LocationBuford, GA

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:03 AM

Ah... a ping pong ball shooter would be great!! With solo cups as targets.

#8 busySteve

busySteve

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 246 posts
  • LocationBuford, GA

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:09 AM

Also, tubed rubber bands for him will reduce wrapping and tangling.

• Tag likes this

#9 busySteve

busySteve

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 246 posts
  • LocationBuford, GA

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:09 AM

You can find light tubing on amazon or ebay.

• Tag likes this

#10 mattwalt

mattwalt

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 627 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:15 AM

Great point. However seems that a looped office elastic he's pretty OK with actually. I shoot with tubes mainly personally.

At this stage the fork size/approach and having a pouch he can handle thats the main issue.  

Edited by mattwalt, 18 May 2017 - 07:16 AM.

• Tag likes this

#11 flipgun

flipgun

3000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 3,053 posts
  • Locationtexas

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:25 AM

When my daughter was four I started her gun and safety training with BB guns. With a lanyard, I guess as soon as they stop sticking things in their mouth to investigate it. 

#12 flipgun

flipgun

3000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 3,053 posts
  • Locationtexas

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:58 PM

http://www.partycity...|Google&gclid=C

• Tag likes this

#13 mattwalt

mattwalt

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 627 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:25 PM

Thats very cool.

I was looking at getting one of these and modifying it. After ducking a ricochet in the lounge think he may well be able to handle  a leather pouch and 6mm plastic BB's - I'll diminutate a setup for him. Think he likes being just like dad... 

http://www.ebay.co.u...64AAOSwNyFWb68S

• Tag likes this

#14 mattwalt

mattwalt

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 627 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:50 PM

After watching him shoot earlier today - this is what I was thinking may work for him. I may make one up. 60x95mm OTT hammer grip. See how it goes...

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 21.50.22.png

Attached Files

• Tag likes this

#15 Tag

Tag

3000 Post Club

• Silver Sponsor Silver Sponsor
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:06 AM

I got to thinking, maybe 3yrs old is a good place to start teaching kids the basics of shooting. I agree with flipguns suggestion. We bought our 3yr old great niece a little plastic pistol that shoots 2 inch foam rubber projectiles. Before ever letting her shoot it, we explained the safety rules I was amazed how well she remembered all the safety issues. Her Mom came to pick her up after work, and of course our niece wanted to show her all she had learned Her mom got to talking to us waving the plastic play pistol around, that's when the 3 yr old told her Mom to. Stop waving the pistol around or she was going to have her uncle take it away I still have an An%#Y bird slingshot I may try this summer. I want to teach her Old Fashion Common Sense safety before we send her to firearms safety a few years down the road.

#16 mattwalt

mattwalt

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 627 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:37 AM

If we still lived in South Africa with my guns - I'd definitely would have been more concerned about firearm safety... Being we currently live in the UK its not such a big issue (simply don't have access to guns in the home). He's more keen on shooting sports. He's been running around with water pistols for a while and using a stick to shoot elastic bands. He's very keen on slingshots from watching me - and it makes sense to foster that (under extreme supervision). Also his sister has her own so could be a nice family bonding thing...

Just need to find a massive catch backdrop... and some easy targets... paper cups may be perfect.

--Click to Remove Ads--