Close
--Click to Remove Ads--
Photo
- - - - -

Retrofitting Triple Tube Slingshot to Single Tube or Flats?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Leo

Leo
  • 8 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:38 PM

Hello,

I purchased a triple tube slingshot without a lot of research and am now wondering if it can be retrofitted to using a single stronger/thicker tubing or even a flat style band.  Any suggestions?

https://www.aliexpre...d7be3&tpp=1

• Tag likes this

#2 flipgun

flipgun

3000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 3,053 posts
  • Locationtexas

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:53 PM

That frame will take a ball in tube hook-up of about anything you could pull. There look to be a couple of place you could tie on TTF/OTT.

#3 Leo

Leo
  • 8 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 17 May 2017 - 04:30 AM

Thanks Flipgun,

I assume the acronyms TTF/OTT are flats of some type?  Sorry, just trying to build my knowledge base.  

I may try with a thicker tube style base to start.  On my current set-up, I found the ball in tube tended to migrate and squeeze out over time, causing the tube to become detached.  If this is a common problem, is it a good idea to top up the end of the tube with a touch of rubber cement to stop the ball from popping out?

Great to find this forum!  

Edited by Leo, 17 May 2017 - 04:31 AM.

#4 KawKan

KawKan

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 113 posts
  • LocationLawrence, KS

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:36 AM

Welcome to the forum, Leo. 

TTF = Through the Forks: bands/tubes are usually attached at the side of the forks.

OTT = Over the Top: bands/tubes are usually attached to the top of the fork. 

It may be that I lack imagination, but I'd stick with ball-in-tube, or perhaps looped tubes for that fork. One, Two or Three tubes are easy options. 

All the holes, slots, and edges on that fork make it hard for me to see a successful way to attach flats, short of pre-wrapping the head of the fork with a cushioning material (latex, tape, etc.). 

Good luck!

#5 KawKan

KawKan

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 113 posts
  • LocationLawrence, KS

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:38 AM

Oh, you may want to search for a tutorial on tying tubes to a pouch. 

There are many good ones out there. 

#6 Leo

Leo
  • 8 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:02 AM

Thanks all.  I've combed the local box stores and even some army surplus and was unsuccessful in sourcing any variations of ball-in-tube ready-made bands.  I'll continue my search for a local supplier while waiting for my on-line order to arrive.  I guess another alternative is to make my own but I'll wait until gaining more experience with variations of ready-made bands that are out there.

#7 Leo

Leo
  • 8 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:11 PM

This is related to the original question:  Even if a fork has hole(s) specifically designed to accept a tube, would it be wrong to roll the tip of a flat, insert it into the round cavity and tie at the back end to lock it into place?    

#8 brucered

brucered

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:44 PM

I don't see it as an option, but it's hard to tell from the picture.

My bigger worry would be, is it safe material and strong enough. Ali isn't know for it's high quality goods and accurate descriptions.

Stress test it before shooting anything and protect your eyes with every shot.

Edited by brucered, 18 May 2017 - 07:45 PM.

• Leo likes this

#9 Leo

Leo
  • 8 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:16 AM

Thanks brucered.  The instrument itself seems rock solid.  The tubes on the other hand have been giving me much trouble with frequent breakage and will look forward to their replacement.  I try to always wear safety glasses no matter the brand.  

#10 brucered

brucered

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:53 AM

The tubes that comes with these types of frames are usually useless for shooting.  I've seen similar frames put in a vise, stress tested and folded in half like a tin can.

Stay safe and hopefully it gets you interested in more traditional shooters.  Check out SimpleShot, they have a great selection and decent shipping options to Canada.

Edited by brucered, 19 May 2017 - 07:54 AM.

• Leo likes this

#11 oldmiser

oldmiser

OldMiser

• +Member
  • 3,421 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 May 2017 - 11:21 PM

use alcohol in the tube..insert the ball(ball larger then the inside dia of tube) in the tube about 1/4"...have a tab after the ball is in the tube....Now tie a constrictor knot behind the ball tight..

let set for about 2 hours..that ball will not come out or slip on you....by tying behind the ball is a safety measure.....wear eye protection when shooting..

test pull your tube set..down low away from you a few time before shooting..

akaOldmiser

6 tubes will be tough to pull back..in my opinion....

Edited by oldmiser, 20 May 2017 - 11:23 PM.

--Click to Remove Ads--