15 replies to this topic

#1 Xidoo

Xidoo

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 855 posts
  • LocationAnahuac

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:48 AM

I was like eight years old when I started using slingshots. I used to shoot to glass bottles, cans and pretty much anything that I could use as a target. Two or three months a year, I would take out my slingshot and use it to shoot with my friends.
I stopped using slingshots for a long time, mainly because I was told that they were "toys" for little kids. Two years ago, I bought me a Daisy slingshot and my desire to have fun with slingshots came back. I started shooting plastic bottles, but I found out that they were very dangerous as one day, I shot at one and the stone bounced back and hit me on the forehead. I had impact glasses on, so I was never worry about my eyes, but still the hit made me aware that plastic bottles are not a good choice as targets.
I started reading about how some of the members of this forum and their shooting practice at home. I read about some members that could use a towel, a t shirt or a piece of carpet to stop the shots behind the target. Most of them used aluminun cans as a regular target for shooting. I started doing the same for practicing at home.
I notice that aluminun cans are way too easy to be distroyed after you shoot at them with a slingshot. I have not a reliable source of aluminum cans and the plastic bottles were just out of the question. I wanted to use something else for target practicing, but I did not know what to use.
Finally one day, as I was practicing with my air rifle with metal bottle caps, I noticed that they where small and very challenging to hit. I took some that I have already shot with my air rifle and had a hole in them and used a piece of tread to hung them. I started to shoot at them with my slingshot from 10 mts. I noticed that it was very hard to hit them and if you hit them they would change shape, so the target would not be the same after a good hit, since this deformed its shape. It also would swing after being hit, so it became a moving target. Sometimes the wind would turn it to its slim side, so would be harder to hit. And if you hit it hard enough you could even cut the tread. I also have notice that sparks come out if I hit the bottle cap when I practice shooting close to sunset.
I use an old sweater as a background and as well as to stop the shoots in the back. It also helps me by showing me by indentantion were my shoots usually land when I miss the target. This way I can correct my shot and improve my aiming.
I have notice that my aiming had improve as well as my technique for shooting. Of course the more you pracitce the better you get.
I hope this personal experience could help you to improve your shooting. Saludos.
IMG_6484.JPG IMG_6482.JPG

#2 e~shot

e~shot

~Pouch Maker~

• Gold Sponsor Gold Sponsor
  • 12,820 posts
  • LocationSri Lanka

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:56 AM

Wow, Saludos. this a very interesting post. I enjoyed very much reading it. keep shooting :D

#3 NoSugarRob

NoSugarRob

Resigned

• Banned
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationEngland UK

Posted 23 April 2011 - 02:15 AM

yup. nice little read.

#4 Grafvitnir

Grafvitnir
  • Registered
  • 24 posts
  • LocationMonterrey, MX

Posted 01 May 2011 - 02:23 PM

Jejeje... Puras caguamas... :) Con razón mejoró la puntería... ;)

Great idea. I'm going to try that.

Saludos!!!

Rubén

#5 Dayhiker

Dayhiker

Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz

• Bronze Sponsor Bronze Sponsor
  • 9,854 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 May 2011 - 02:43 PM

:wacko: I don't know. I miss enough when I'm shooting at aluminum cans at ten meters. I think I'd miss enough to completely demoralize myself using bottle caps. :)

#6 AJW

AJW

500 Post Club

• Silver Sponsor Silver Sponsor
  • 640 posts
  • LocationPanama Rep. De Panama

Posted 01 May 2011 - 03:19 PM

Thanks for a great tip. I will be setting up a target box soon and this idea is one that will be incorporated.
:D

#7 Xidoo

Xidoo

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 855 posts
  • LocationAnahuac

Posted 02 May 2011 - 03:57 PM

Wow, Saludos. this a very interesting post. I enjoyed very much reading it. keep shooting :D

e-shot,
Thanks for stopping by and reading. Of course, I will keep shooting them, they are cheap and easy to find. Saludos.

#8 Xidoo

Xidoo

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 855 posts
  • LocationAnahuac

Posted 02 May 2011 - 03:59 PM

yup. nice little read.

NoSugarRob,
Thanks for your comment. Saludos.

#9 NaturalFork

NaturalFork

Shooting a slingshot is the greatest form of meditation.

• Bronze Sponsor Bronze Sponsor
  • 5,527 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 02 May 2011 - 04:00 PM

Cool! Thanks for sharing this. I must try!

#10 Xidoo

Xidoo

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 855 posts
  • LocationAnahuac

Posted 03 May 2011 - 12:35 PM

Jejeje... Puras caguamas... :) Con razón mejoró la puntería... ;)

Great idea. I'm going to try that.

Saludos!!!

Rubén

Grafvitnir,
¿Que paso, que paso? ¿Como que puras caguamas? Puros caguamones cuate, ademas por ahi hay una de barrilito por aquello que nos quieran decir beodos. No pos claro que mejoro la punteria con esto :D con tanta inspiracion...
Nice to read you, I hope you keep posting comments. Saludos.

#11 Xidoo

Xidoo

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 855 posts
  • LocationAnahuac

Posted 03 May 2011 - 12:39 PM

:wacko: I don't know. I miss enough when I'm shooting at aluminum cans at ten meters. I think I'd miss enough to completely demoralize myself using bottle caps. :)

Dayhiker,
That is just like anything else. It is hard at the beginning :blink:, but with practice it becomes less and less hard to do ^_^. Give it a try...Saludos.

#12 tubeman

tubeman

Resigned

• Banned
  • 1,087 posts
  • LocationGlasgow, Scotland

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:48 PM

lol, my thoughts too Dayhiker :)

#13 SuwaneeRick

SuwaneeRick

TheMotoRick on YouTube

• Registered
  • 201 posts
  • LocationNorth Georgia

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:33 PM

Great post. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it, and I'm going to take some of your tips and use them. Saludos!

#14 Xidoo

Xidoo

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 855 posts
  • LocationAnahuac

Posted 06 May 2011 - 04:08 PM

Thanks for a great tip. I will be setting up a target box soon and this idea is one that will be incorporated.
:D

AJW,
I am glad to know that this form of target practicing could be usefull to you. Enjoy!! Saludos.

#15 Xidoo

Xidoo

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 855 posts
  • LocationAnahuac

Posted 08 May 2011 - 12:29 PM

lol, my thoughts too Dayhiker :)

It is not that hard. Saludos.

#16 Xidoo

Xidoo

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 855 posts
  • LocationAnahuac

Posted 08 May 2011 - 12:32 PM

Great post. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it, and I'm going to take some of your tips and use them. Saludos!

SwaneeRick,
I really hope this would help you to have fun and improve your aiming. Thanks for stopping and reading ¡¡Saludos!!

--Click to Remove Ads--