3 replies to this topic

#1 RHTWIST

RHTWIST

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 303 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:14 PM

The fork used for the drumstick grip is your typical straight branch with kick right/left depending on your grip.  It is a narrow, pinch grip so it is shot straight wrist / fist, with forks cocked to the side.

Carve your pinch, something around 2" is about right.  The center of the grip is high for the palm swell and then both sides fall off like a turtle shell.

Go small where your pinky lands and then carve whatever forks you like.   The grip is longer in this picture as I always leave a handle while I carve and then cut the butt later in the build. -CD

Attached Thumbnails

• SS tree fork for drumstick grip.jpg

#2 Ibojoe

Ibojoe

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,501 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 22 April 2017 - 07:53 AM

Cool design C.D. that's gonna be a nice one!

#3 RHTWIST

RHTWIST

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 303 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 22 April 2017 - 09:06 AM

Cool design C.D. that's gonna be a nice one!

Thank lbjoe,

this is the SS from my "apple drumstick" post while I was carving it.  

Here, I wanted to show that the typical "straight limb" with branch at 45 degrees (whatever) is perfect for this grip design.  

A straight wrist shooter is one where you don't have to kick your hand back for your SS forks to be in plane with your body.  Those are normally shot with your thumb and forefinger extended,  

The drumstick is shot with straight wrist but fist grip.  This makes for a great shooter and now I have hundreds of rounds over the top slot band attach, I really like the whole package.

As the hand is asymmetrical, the drumstick will always be either right or left  I am working on a board cut template.  You would then attach a palm swell for right or left hand hold. 

The drumstick grip can be easily made from the most common branch we find.   The branch in the picture above is from the same tree as the SS.  I have started that carve and it has much greater color. -CD

#4 Ibojoe

Ibojoe

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,501 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 22 April 2017 - 09:29 AM

I've always thought that a straight wrist pinch grip was the easiest to duplicate shot after shot. Those days are over for me. A thumb supported grip is all I can do anymore. I can see a slight difference in accuracy from group to group. I really miss the days of pinch grip, and especially side shooters. Is your designs kindof like the tarus by Bill Hays. Only with a cool twist?

--Click to Remove Ads--