Close
--Click to Remove Ads--
Photo
- - - - -

Good evening, morning or afternoon from a newb.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Vrael

Vrael
  • 1 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Az

Posted 19 April 2017 - 02:25 AM

Hello,

My name we'll leave at Vrael, as that is probably the least important thing. I've shot slingshots several times throughout my life, but that's all it really was. Me running around firing rocks at trees with truly no clue what I was doing. Well I'm about to turn 27 on May 1st and all I'm really hoping for is a slingshot, just a walmart special one. This is only due to the fact I found this site today and was only led here by discovering Bill Hays and other shooters on YT and seeing the site highly suggested. So really all I saw of slingshots was wrist rockets and the little kid ones my grandpa made for me when I was a little guy. Plus my grandpa has always told me all he can see when he looks at me is a redneck kid running around with a slingshot in his back pocket, his birthday is July 10th and I'd like to surprise him with being able to hit something consistently. Just so he can get a smile and see the image in his head made true. Either way, enough background. I live in Phoenix, Az and obviously there aren't many trees in the desert. Do I need to use specific types of wood to make myself a natural Y slingshot or will most anything do? More to the point, I have an orange tree and lemon tree in my backyard. Would a branch from either of those be suitable?

Thank you so very much for any input or any tips you may have for a complete newb!!!

Sincerely,

Vrael

#2 Ibojoe

Ibojoe

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,501 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:37 AM

Welcome to the forum Vrael!! You've come to the right place. There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum. I've never used orange or lemon wood, but im positive that someone has. Just about any hardwood will do fine. Nice to meet you and again welcome!

#3 CornDawg

CornDawg

Batter Dipped

• +Member
  • 807 posts
  • LocationU.S.A. Pacific Northwest

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:11 AM

Welcome Vrael!

Heck yeah they'll work.  Fruit forks are hot right now...  Get to carving and show us what you come up with.

Enjoy.   :)

#4 treefork

treefork

Focus

• +Member
  • 18,651 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:32 AM

Welcome .

#5 mattwalt

mattwalt

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 499 posts
  • LocationStratford Upon Avon

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:53 AM

Welcome - Orange and Lemon both rock for forks.

#6 Falco

Falco
  • Gold Sponsor Gold Sponsor
  • 11 posts
  • LocationLondon, Ontario. Canada

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:03 AM

welcome!

im a big fan of the scout slingshot by simple shot sport/flippinout slingshots.

most excellent customer service!

#7 Flatband

Flatband

4000+ Post Club

• Moderators Moderators
  • 4,642 posts
  • LocationNY/NJ Metro Region

Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:28 PM

Welcome!

#8 treeman

treeman

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 301 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:33 PM

Welcome friend. citrus wood is plenty strong for slingshots. Looking forward to seeing what you make

#9 rockslinger

rockslinger

4000+ Post Club

• Bronze Sponsor Bronze Sponsor
  • 4,734 posts
  • LocationAz.

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:29 AM

Welcome!  Citrus is a good fork material but we have some great trees here in Az.

Mesquite and acacia are my two favorites! Have fun! :wave: 

--Click to Remove Ads--