Close
--Click to Remove Ads--
Photo
- - - - -

Why my shots always go left when I aim down the bands on my ott .

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 romanljc

romanljc

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 374 posts
  • LocationNorth East USA

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:53 AM

Why my shots  always go left when I aim down the bands on my ott .
Seems strange to me that I have to aim top of fork about .375 inch left of my bands to be lined up on my target . But it work pretty consistent so I'm not complaining.
O the Mysteries of the slingshot .
  • Tag likes this

#2 Prijon

Prijon
  • Registered
  • 25 posts
  • Locationeast coast

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:45 AM

Just learned from a Dan A accuracy video that under powered bands for ammo size can make a shot go left. Good video.

• Tag likes this

#3 brucered

brucered

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:54 AM

What hand do you hold?  As Prijon said, it's likely underpowered or overpowered bands.

The other day, all my shots were going Right, but I hold Right.  Once I adjusted the aiming point after 5-5 shots, I was accurate.

• Tag likes this

#4 Genoa Slingshot

Genoa Slingshot

Italian Match Lighter

• Registered
  • 1,054 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 18 April 2017 - 10:12 AM

Why my shots always go left when I aim down the bands on my ott .
Seems strange to me that I have to aim top of fork about .375 inch left of my bands to be lined up on my target . But it work pretty consistent so I'm not complaining.
O the Mysteries of the slingshot .

I think you have a (micro) alignement problem, It could be with bands and frame or with your body position and bands. Also it could be a bit of cant angle problem.
Remember that from 10m, 1mm error at the pouch mean more than 1cm at the target. These are the most frequently problem about R/L error.
After you are sure of your alignement, you can think about underpowered bands or, sometimes, a pouch with non-aligned holes.

Edited by Genoa Slingshot, 18 April 2017 - 10:15 AM.

#5 SamuraiSamoht

SamuraiSamoht

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 688 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 18 April 2017 - 11:51 AM

If you are comparing it to a TTF frame (held in the left hand) where you aim down the center of the bands, then it makes sense you would shoot further left since you are aiming further left. If you think that is what is happening you can try tilting your head over the bands just a little bit more and it will force you to aim further right.

#6 mattwalt

mattwalt

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 499 posts
  • LocationStratford Upon Avon

Posted 18 April 2017 - 12:27 PM

Actually - I find the same sort of thing. TTF and even OTT with tabs is fine - but straight OTT and it seems to be flinging over to the right in my case. Not by much and if I compensate I'm on the money. I hold left, draw right (to corner of jaw) and twist the pouch 90Âș if that means anything. Also does not seem to be a overpower thing as find various ammo seems to do the same thing - just an inch or so over at the target at about 10m.

• Tag likes this

#7 romanljc

romanljc

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 374 posts
  • LocationNorth East USA

Posted 18 April 2017 - 12:43 PM

I hold slingshot with left hand pouch right hand draw to the corner of my lip gangster syle stance just like my bow archers stance basically bands Tbg gold either 1.50 or 1.25 down to .75 usally 3/8 and 7/16 steel
Also I'm right eye dominant
32 inch draw
Betreen 6 or 5.75 inch active length.

I turn the pouch almost 90 degree I touch my lip with the back of my thumb basically every time to get a consistent pull each time . And if I don't shake hold steadily shot always goes a,little left if I just aim down the bands so to a compensate I aim left of the bands and it hits the can every time if I do everything else right .

Edited by romanljc, 18 April 2017 - 12:56 PM.

#8 mattwalt

mattwalt

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 12:46 PM

Yep - thats about the same for me. 32" Though I've been using tubes mainly... interesting you're shooting left and I'm right.

#9 romanljc

romanljc

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 374 posts
  • LocationNorth East USA

Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:09 PM

Yep - thats about the same for me. 32" Though I've been using tubes mainly... interesting you're shooting left and I'm right.

And that is with every ott frame I have same exact thing I have to aim little left
  • Tag likes this

#10 mattwalt

mattwalt

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:15 PM

Sorry - same for me - it flies a little to the right - have to compensate by aiming left (1-2"). Almost as if the bands 'flick' a little away from the forks as they move forward. I also have it with different powered bands and ammo types. Glad to see its not just me.

#11 romanljc

romanljc

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 374 posts
  • LocationNorth East USA

Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:34 PM

Sorry - same for me - it flies a little to the right - have to compensate by aiming left (1-2"). Almost as if the bands 'flick' a little away from the forks as they move forward. I also have it with different powered bands and ammo types. Glad to see its not just me.

It's a consistent thing so it's not really a problem you can compensate for that just interesting that it happens .
Things,like that only a problem if you are shooting one time left then right then left then you got will problems .

Edited by romanljc, 18 April 2017 - 01:38 PM.

• Tag likes this

#12 mattwalt

mattwalt

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:39 PM

Yeah - as mentioned I use Kentucky windage and simply compensate (as its consistent its no biggie) - it does not bother me. Just like you its something I've noticed over TTF and other band attachments etc. OTT seems to kick out slightly. On a side note - if I shoot instinctive OTT - I'm on target... So as mentioned could be an aiming anomaly - point of reference etc.

Parallax...

Edited by mattwalt, 18 April 2017 - 01:45 PM.

#13 stej

stej

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,201 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:20 AM

The left/right thing might be also because the eye isn't in line with bands.

path4561-0.png

That said I sometimes shoot to the right with tubes. Still don't know why. Maybe over/underpowered as noted above.

#14 mattwalt

mattwalt

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:27 AM

I am wondering if its not the effect of the bands stretching over the posts of the frame. On release it is pulling over the top and away from the frame slightly - so kicking out (a speed bump effect?). Which may be why it does not happen TTF as this would kick out equally and forces are linear. 

I'm not convinced its parallax just yet, as Like Romanjlc I'm aiming down the tubes/bands. 

#15 inconvenience

inconvenience

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,374 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA, USA

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:19 PM

What Stej said.

I aim down the bands OTT.

I really recommend watching Bill Hayes' shooting videos.

I was shooting to the right until I adjusted my stance. I was shooting with the side of my forward foot towards the target. After watching Bill's vids I started standing as if I was shooting a shotgun at the target. If I'm off I will literally mime shooting with my hands.

That put things dead on for me.

#16 mattwalt

mattwalt

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:54 PM

Will definitely try shotgun pose out - see if it makes a difference.

#17 gabeb

gabeb

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 318 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:24 PM

've had this same thing happen to me before. You have your hand out too far with your pouch or your fork is canted left. Put your pouch touching your cheek and keep your fork at a 90 degree angle.

--Click to Remove Ads--