• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Whispers Death

Whispers Death
  • Registered
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSoutheast Missouri

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:10 PM

I received my Hathcock Sniper with heavy short bands, two extra band sets with pouches and a bag of steel and lead balls. I immediately took it out to shoot. I haven't shot a slingshot in years. I shot "Wrist Rockets" 25 years ago and this is another animal completely. I shoot a longbow, recurve and compound bow regularly with a very loose grip. On my first shot, the slingshot flew out of my hand and bounced down my driveway.....ooops. Tied a lanyard on for future mishaps and got back to business. The flat bands were tied in a shoot through the forks configuration. They were tied on facing outward and I thought this meant to draw with the bands around the outside of the forks. The bands were slapping the forks very hard leaving marks on the bands. I thought "this can't be right" and that maybe I should be pulling them through the inside of the forks, but they would be pulling directly against the small latex bands holding them on (doubling back over on itself). I retied the band in an inward position and immediately found my groove. I smacked the crap out of a can repeatedly at 10 yards. I then tied the band on to shoot over the top of the forks. I took three shots and that was enough. I don't know what the poundage of the current band set-up is, but I know that the pouch was slapping my fingers so hard, one of my fingertips was numb. I would have to wear a glove to shoot in this style with heavy bands. Back to the shoot through configuration and I am very happy with it. It is solid as a rock. I lightly sanded the handle to take the sheen off, smoothed out a few sharp edges, and gave my thumb and fingers a little better traction. The finish is very slick and with sweaty hands, it can get slippery. I really like the ergonomics and the ballistic resin is so robust that I don't think I will ever need another slingshot...except maybe a twin in red. Great product Bill. I will be smoking some squirrels with this thing while bowhunting.

Otto

#2 jmplsnt

jmplsnt

Resigned

• Resigned
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:49 PM

Good review WD and glad to see you get back into slingshots after a long absence.

If you don't mind me asking, where at in SW MO?

#3 Dan the Slingshot Man

Dan the Slingshot Man

Learning

• Registered
  • 754 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 April 2011 - 08:38 AM

Glad that your back into slingshots, if you use heavy ammo while shooting your heavy bands hand slap shouldn't be a problem. Good luck and have fun. Dan

#4 Whispers Death

Whispers Death
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 05:55 PM

Good review WD and glad to see you get back into slingshots after a long absence.

If you don't mind me asking, where at in SW MO?

Southeast Missouri. Just south of St. Louis.

#5 slingshot_sniper

slingshot_sniper

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:26 AM

Hey WD good review,can you post a pic of how your trying your bands I have mine the way it came.

#6 Whispers Death

Whispers Death
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 07:34 PM

Hey WD good review,can you post a pic of how your trying your bands I have mine the way it came.

Yep....I'll get the camera out and do that in a bit.

Otto

#7 Adirondack Kyle

Adirondack Kyle

Adirondack Kyle

• Vendors Supporting Vendor
  • 939 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:08 AM

I had that problem with my hts, i just flick my wrist downward and havent had a problem since, bill swears by ttf, so i was wondering if i was doing something wrong. I love this ss and am very happy with the quality of design. Its my go-to ss now. Maybee bill can post a vid and show us how to properly shoot ttf.ill ask him, i know hes a busy man. But i really want to learn to shoot this way, the last thing i want to do is damage my latex or the ss. This is why i retied mine

#8 Bill Hays

Bill Hays

2000 Post Club

• 2,590 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:29 AM

You might find these helpful, as this is exactly how I shoot them sideways:

#9 Adirondack Kyle

Adirondack Kyle

Adirondack Kyle

• 939 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:43 AM

Thanks bill, i guess i was doing it right i just was concerned about the bands hitting the inside of the forks, ill have to get used to it. I have been shooting mine ott and it is extremely accurate for me.
It isnt a problem with the slingshot, just an inquiry reguarding the ttf shooting style. Figured i would ask the master himself,

#10 Adirondack Kyle

Adirondack Kyle

Adirondack Kyle

• 939 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:32 PM

I have just finally started shooting my hts, ttf, i dont know why i had such a problem, i think this slingshot is best when shot ttf, i am now surgical with this b*tch.

--Click to Remove Ads--