8 replies to this topic

#1 Zachary Fowler

Zachary Fowler

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 110 posts
  • Locationmaine

Posted 25 March 2017 - 05:46 AM

I went on a shopping spree and spent $ 5,202.92  on a YouTube channel upgrade.  I got it all, the expensive canon camera, wireless mic,  Dji Marvin drone and much more.   $5,202 worth of new camera equipment.  And a lot of the stuff i got was the same stuff i used in Patagonia to film the History channels hit show Alone season 3 on.   Now that its almost all hear i can really state making a major production.   Or at least thats the plan now i have to figure out how to use all this stuff.  For the most part it is all stuff i used like i said on Alone but i have never had to deal with editing and settings much for the cameras.  Im learning that just leaving the camera rolling my get me the perfect shot but means i spend a thousand years longer when i comes to the editing.  New software is grate (final cut pro X) but it means I have almost had to learn it all from the ground up again. The Dji mavric drone has definitely been the most fun to play with it is really easily to use once you get past the software loading hassle. I have been trying for days to get the sunset with it but between distractions and dead batteries I haven't accomplished that yet.  I want a really nice shot of flying Close to the yurt and up and over the trees and capture the sunset I'll get it one of these days.   

What do you film with and edit with?

Edited by Zachary Fowler, 25 March 2017 - 05:47 AM.

#2 ghost0311/8541

ghost0311/8541

3000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationUS MARINE, HUNTER ,BACKWOODSMAN , IN FLORIDA

Posted 25 March 2017 - 06:43 AM

That's pretty cool can't wait to see what you come up with

#3 treefork

treefork

Focus

• +Member
  • 18,842 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 March 2017 - 06:57 AM

Shooting videos should not be edited . It makes them fake and misleading . Editing of a shooting video is like a magician trick to create an illusion of skill that is not there .  I use an Iphone 6 to film . No editing .

#4 mattwalt

mattwalt

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 842 posts
  • LocationStratford Upon Avon

Posted 25 March 2017 - 07:21 AM

Nice collection of equipment. Wish I had a nice budget to get that kit in hand ;-)

FCPX - is awesome - I much prefer it to Adobe. Its find it super intuitive to use. I do work cross platform though...

If you need design work - drop me a PM. It makes sense to brand yourself really well.

'Shooting videos should not be edited . It makes them fake and misleading . Editing of a shooting video is like a magician trick to create an illusion of skill that is not there .  I use an Iphone 6 to film . No editing .' - Funny thing is that simple photos even as documentary are removed from context so by default are actually misleading and fake (even though you brain says they're not.. ALL photos lie - its the first rule of photography)... Editing should be handled sensitively for the project though. If you want something a little slicker than the usual editing has to be done - even if its just smoothing off the corners. 

Edited by mattwalt, 25 March 2017 - 07:32 AM.

#5 Chesapeake Inuit

Chesapeake Inuit
  • Registered
  • 41 posts
  • Locationeast coast

Posted 25 March 2017 - 07:33 AM

I think the company that Jorg and his brother own make editing equipment.

Congrats on your win.  Always enjoy your vids no matter what you shoot them with!

#6 Tag

Tag

3000 Post Club

• Silver Sponsor Silver Sponsor
  • 3,695 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 25 March 2017 - 04:26 PM

Cool video

#7 Imperial

Imperial

HOBBYIST-SOPHOMORIC-JACKA$$

• Registered
  • 8,207 posts
  • LocationHELLPERIAL, MEXIFORNIA

Posted 25 March 2017 - 05:43 PM

Now all you need is the editing tools for video and audio.

#8 Zachary Fowler

Zachary Fowler

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 110 posts
  • Locationmaine

Posted 26 March 2017 - 04:40 AM

Yeah bottle work all this spend a good bit of money Setting up an editing studio.  Right now it's just the new Mac up to the kitchen table.  Going to need a large storage unit for all the footage and well I don't know I really haven't gotten into it all yet.  Follow that can have to wait till there's more room.  this little your doesn't leave enough space for that right now.

#9 mattwalt

mattwalt

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 842 posts
  • LocationStratford Upon Avon

Posted 27 March 2017 - 02:54 AM

Be sure to have a double backup - we've had storage units go down - or have accidental erasures due to user error. It can be set up similarly to the Mac's history backup feature. There are a few setups around. 

Also you need to consider how FCPX saves its work as it like to use the hard drive (as its saves directly on the fly) and a short 30sec production can take 2 gig in space... You'll probably only be saving your clip elements to the storage... 

Look for a Pegasus drive or two.

Edited by mattwalt, 27 March 2017 - 02:56 AM.

--Click to Remove Ads--