7 replies to this topic

#1 Winnie

Winnie

500 Post Club

• Gold Sponsor Gold Sponsor
  • 649 posts
  • LocationWA, USA

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:34 PM

Throughout the years there have been several Altoids Tin slingshot competitions, the last two run by Charles and me.  For the last competition I made a shooter that I have kept as a backup in my motorcycle bag (since I sponsored the competition I don't think I entered mine at the time).  Recently my left neck has been acting up so I dug out the old Altoids shooter because it is symmetrical and I can shoot right handed with it.

I'm liking is so much that it has become my everyday shooter.  The bands are 3/4 inch x 1/2 x 13.5 inches so it is a small game hunter using 7/16 steel.

I always have a slingshot in my pocket and carrying this one loaded and ready to go is so simple and easy that I was thinking if anyone was interested in a small slingshot that will handle any bands you want to put on it that this might be if interest them.

BTW, my slingshots - because I always carry - have to be small and fit comfortably in my pocket.  Small, strong, yet comfortable is what I am looking for.  Very, very basic.  This one is made of 1/4 inch silk micarta and is only 3 inches by 3.5 inches when unfolded and set up (I leave it set up so I can pre-load it and shoot it quickly).

Attached Thumbnails

• Altoids 2 Slingshot 023.JPG
  • Altoids 2 Slingshot 021.JPG
  • Altoids 2 Slingshot 020.JPG
  • Altoids 2 Slingshot 019.JPG
  • Altoids 2 Slingshot 016.JPG
  • Altoids 2 Slingshot 015.JPG

#2 schpier

schpier
  • Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationBishop

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:39 PM

Do you carry the slingshot for self defense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Tag likes this

#3 Winnie

Winnie

500 Post Club

• 649 posts
  • LocationWA, USA

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:50 PM

No.  Mostly I carry it because I'm neurotic.  I've carried one for so long that I feel naked without it in my pocket.  Because it's pre-loaded I can get it out of my pocket and get the shot off in around 3-4 seconds.  It makes it possible to walk casually through the woods, or wherever, and not have to have it always in my hand.  I simply unwind it and shoot.  I don't have to fumble around to load it.

winnie

#4 Prijon

Prijon
  • Registered
  • 27 posts
  • Locationeast coast

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:58 PM

Nice....I really like small slingshots and micarta.  Must of taken a bunch of silk layers to do .25 inch though.

#5 Alfred E. Monkeynipples

Alfred E. Monkeynipples

Who is the I that says I Am

• +Member
  • 638 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:03 PM

Clever design Winnie.   BTW, were you ever able to recover the EDC that fell in the lake?

+1 on the naked feeling.   I've turned around and returned home to retrieve a forgotten shooter or pepper spray - yup, it's a neurosis.   :)

#6 Winnie

Winnie

500 Post Club

• 649 posts
  • LocationWA, USA

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:58 PM

Thanks Alfred E,  The upper portion, being offset, actually helps make the grip more secure.  I'm shooting 3/4 butterfly with it and feel secure even though it is small.

winnie

#7 rockslinger

rockslinger

4000+ Post Club

• Bronze Sponsor Bronze Sponsor
  • 4,741 posts
  • LocationAz.

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:49 AM

Nice one Winnie!

#8 Winnie

Winnie

500 Post Club

• 649 posts
  • LocationWA, USA

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:05 PM

Alfred E, No I never did retrieve it.  Probably never will though, maybe this summer on one of my days off I should give it a go.  I'll start thinking of a design to snag it.  Wouldn't that be cool.

Yah, the neurosis thing is real.  It's like my phone - even if I don't need it I feel weird without it.

Schpier I wouldn't use a slingshot for self defense but I did give a slingshot to a friend years ago who used it to intimidate a person who got into her personal space while using a cash machine.  She grabbed it out of her purse (unloaded) spun around and threatened him with it.  He took off.

Prijon,  I love silk micarta.  I have no idea how many layers there are but I can say that there are a lot of them.  Very, very strong and very light weight.  It is a bit of a pain to work with though.

winnie

--Click to Remove Ads--