• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 alfie mania

alfie mania
  • Registered
  • 89 posts
  • LocationNewcastle

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:43 AM

I have managed to gather a few naturals from unknown tree's .

Whats your thoughts? Positive or negative i dont mind as it ALL helps :)

Check out the Moorhead type ( the big 1 ) Its not quite right in my eyes so whats the best solution?

Lot of work still to be done but thought i would show you some of what i have collected..

Thanks guys WIN_20170320_08_18_32_Pro.jpg WIN_20170320_08_18_34_Pro.jpg

#2 mattwalt

mattwalt

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 842 posts
  • LocationStratford Upon Avon

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:47 AM

There are some really nice ones in there. Bottom Right / Moorhead one / small one top centre / top right / bottom left... small one just below the middle top with mottling...

AM let me send you my address - send me a few - I'll help you get rid of a few of them ;-)

#3 RatSlucker

RatSlucker

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 228 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:48 AM

Alfie buddy, you are lucky having those forks man, someday I'll have lots of forks :/ but for now, I can wait :) lol

Edited by RatSlucker, 20 March 2017 - 03:49 AM.

#4 alfie mania

alfie mania
  • Registered
  • 89 posts
  • LocationNewcastle

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:01 AM

Mattwatt your really to kind but how could i possibly ever repay you my friend lol :)

I have lots more but just picked these ones out to show you guys.Am just starting out making these naturals.And i have to say it's so addictive.I was suppose to go out with my son 2 nights in a row.But instead we shot nothing and come home with bits of tree instead lol.

RatSlucker i feel also i am lucky to have these forks bud.Its my first time doing these naturals and also collecting them.

But i am very gratefull i can go local and have many tree's and more to choose from..

The sad thing is i never see tree's now.All i see is catapults when i look at the trees lol

Thanks for your nice words guys i appreciate it thank you ;)

#5 alfie mania

alfie mania
  • Registered
  • 89 posts
  • LocationNewcastle

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:10 AM

There are some really nice ones in there. Bottom Right / Moorhead one / small one top centre / top right / bottom left... small one just below the middle top with mottling...

AM let me send you my address - send me a few - I'll help you get rid of a few of them ;-)

Mattwatt the 1 on the right on top row is exact same shape as the Dankung Panther.Execpt the natural has slightly longer forks.But i will adjust these later bud..The mottled 1 i have left that way on purpose.Its already nice and smooth and i like the pattern i made when scraping with the knife ;) So am thinking maybe just light sanding etc Stick it in oven for 20 mins then yacht varnish later on bud.. Not rushing as i will end up with some fancy firewood lol 

Edited by alfie mania, 20 March 2017 - 04:13 AM.

#6 mattwalt

mattwalt

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 842 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:16 AM

You're lucky - where I am its actually difficult to get naturals. Been almost tempted to dive in the back of the tree surgeon/gardener's trucks when I see them. There is an apple tree on the way to school which has like 5 just begging to be quietly removed... 

#7 raventree78

raventree78

Neophyte

• Registered
  • 163 posts
  • LocationFayetteville area of NC, USA

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:40 AM

Nice looking forks, I really like the ones with more of a soft u type shape as opposed to how lots of them are a hard v shape..... does that make any sense? 

#8 alfie mania

alfie mania
  • Registered
  • 89 posts
  • LocationNewcastle

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:51 AM

Yes raventree78 it does make sense bud..My personal favourite is the top middle.I think that has a really nice U shape to it.It looks like it's already been worked on but infact all i have done is strip the bark off it bud..And i like using as you would say the (soft) U shapes bud.I have my Dankung Panther next to the natural that is on right on top row and the fork head and forks run exactly along side each other .Thats when the Panther is resting of top of that particular natural i mentioned..I was really surprised bud.But yes the U and softer U i think are really nice.But when your out and about there are alot of different ones that catches my eye.Mattwatt i feel sorry for you that there are no trees were you are bud..It must be so frustrating for you.But maybe a few cuts off that apple tree won't do it any harm so go for it my friend ;)

#9 alfie mania

alfie mania
  • Registered
  • 89 posts
  • LocationNewcastle

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:53 AM

Nice looking forks, I really like the ones with more of a soft u type shape as opposed to how lots of them are a hard v shape..... does that make any sense? 

I think the softer U would  give you more stability when holding the catty raventree78 and not as much strain on the wrist bud...

#10 honorary pie

honorary pie

not really a pie.

• Registered
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationOntario Canada

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:25 AM

nice haul, I also dig that middle one,.. Yeah, Brucered is Carving some sweet natties these days,,and we could all take a page from his book..

#11 devils son in law

devils son in law

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,317 posts
  • Locationmichigan

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:45 AM

It looks like all  you need to do is start filing and sanding!  :headbang: 

#12 alfie mania

alfie mania
  • Registered
  • 89 posts
  • LocationNewcastle

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:27 AM

nice haul, I also dig that middle one,.. Yeah, Brucered is Carving some sweet natties these days,,and we could all take a page from his book..

Yes honorary pie Brucered is very very good at what he does to naturals.I also like his attitude and the fact he is down to earth bud.Well i hope many do take a page out of his book.I have and i am glad i did ;) 

#13 brucered

brucered

Spin, spin

• Registered
  • 1,677 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:32 AM

Oh my....that is a nice haul.  You got a nice variety of sizes, species (is that what you call trees?) and what appear to be nice knot placement for visual affect.

What I like most about naturals is, making something from nothing.  The fact that they are completely free is a plus and they all turn out unique.

I blame everyone else in here for motivating me to get out and find forks, carve them and work on them....so it's only fitting that someone blame me for something.

Fantastic stuff, I can't wait to see how they turn out.  But heck, they look like they could all be shot right now.

Edited by brucered, 20 March 2017 - 06:33 AM.

#14 alfie mania

alfie mania
  • Registered
  • 89 posts
  • LocationNewcastle

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:34 AM

It looks like all  you need to do is start filing and sanding!  :headbang:

Devils son in law i think thats the beauty of collecting naturals.Your out the house most of the day,enjoying the surroundings etc and hopefully collect some nice frames :) A little bit time and effort indoors and hopefully have a nice natural from your efforts.In a nut shell it don't get much better than that ;)..Yeah i will sand them all bud and when i think they are ready i will stick them in the oven to harden them off.Am thinking clear yacht varnish on most of them but Brucered inspired me to get some linseed oil and bees wax.Now my partner come home from shopping and got me this dark beeswax and the linseed oil she bought was not the boiled linseed oil.So i am kind of put off from using the oil and bees wax.And stuck with the clear yacht varnish.

Edited by alfie mania, 20 March 2017 - 06:45 AM.

#15 alfie mania

alfie mania
  • Registered
  • 89 posts
  • LocationNewcastle

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:45 AM

Oh my....that is a nice haul.  You got a nice variety of sizes, species (is that what you call trees?) and what appear to be nice knot placement for visual affect.

What I like most about naturals is, making something from nothing.  The fact that they are completely free is a plus and they all turn out unique.

I blame everyone else in here for motivating me to get out and find forks, carve them and work on them....so it's only fitting that someone blame me for something.

Fantastic stuff, I can't wait to see how they turn out.  But heck, they look like they could all be shot right now.

Thank you Brucered and thank you also for getting me into these naturals my friend.All i have basically done is took all the bark off bud..Cut them a little bit larger than what i want just incase i need to do any work on them.I will sand them down best i can and try make them as smooth as possible bud.I dont know about you Brucered,but i cant walk past a tree without having a good look at it lol It's really addictive.And once the bugs got hold of you i bet it's hard to ignore or shake off that's for sure ;) Glad you like them bud ty.It's nice to have tree's around you but if your picky like me your gonnuh be there all day and every day lol...Thanks again guys ;)

Edited by alfie mania, 20 March 2017 - 06:46 AM.

#16 alfie mania

alfie mania
  • Registered
  • 89 posts
  • LocationNewcastle

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:18 AM

Thank you Brucered and thank you also for getting me into these naturals my friend.All i have basically done is took all the bark off bud..Cut them a little bit larger than what i want just incase i need to do any work on them.I will sand them down best i can and try make them as smooth as possible bud.I dont know about you Brucered,but i cant walk past a tree without having a good look at it lol It's really addictive.And once the bugs got hold of you i bet it's hard to ignore or shake off that's for sure ;) Glad you like them bud ty.It's nice to have tree's around you but if your picky like me your gonnuh be there all day and every day lol...Thanks again guys ;)

I don't like using the bands so am thinking of tubing them all.Whats the best way or any good ideas guys?Thanks 

#17 mattwalt

mattwalt

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 842 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:41 AM

I'm for tabs - either para (I have the on 2 frames) or leather ones (doing soon - bolts are in the mail personally. If you can make the tabs easily removable then looped are fantastic. Or Toddy's captive tube is also a cool approach. A hole through the frame then the binding is thread through that around the tube (with a protective sheath) and then pulled against the frame and bound sort of as normal bands... Will see if I can find that one on youtube.

#18 mattwalt

mattwalt

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 842 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:46 AM

#19 mattwalt

mattwalt

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 842 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:02 AM

My natty frame has a similar fork end as the last video - just tried that out - works!

#20 alfie mania

alfie mania
  • Registered
  • 89 posts
  • LocationNewcastle

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:35 AM

My natty frame has a similar fork end as the last video - just tried that out - works!

Thank you very much Mattwalt bud.I think maybe i will go with the tabs ;)

Hey Brucered i found a lump of dead wood.The bark more or less crumbled in my fingers and was full of tiny holes etc But there is a pretty big hole in the centre of forks.The hole is pretty deep to.I can scrape wood off pretty easy with a small sharp knife.But the burning question is,is can this dead wood be fixed?I knew you collected and worked with deadwood so i took it uppon myself to bring a lump of it home with me to show you :) I will stick pics up and your thoughts will be appreciated thanks .

WIN_20170322_12_26_09_Pro.jpg

WIN_20170322_12_26_39_Pro.jpg

WIN_20170322_12_26_45_Pro.jpg

Edited by alfie mania, 22 March 2017 - 06:36 AM.

--Click to Remove Ads--