• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ryanpaul

ryanpaul
  • Registered
  • 40 posts
  • Locationnew mexico usa

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:53 PM

i wanted to get ok with rasps before i got router. im now thinking that ill have plenty of time for getting good w/ rasps aside from rounding edges? what did/would  you all do?

#2 brucered

brucered

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:51 PM

I don't use my router for naturals, which is what I make most. But it sure comes in handy when I'm making Poly or Boardcut frames.

Once you buy the router, you'll need to add a few bucks in bits, base plate and maybe even a router table.

For a long time, I just uses a router base plate and clamped it in a work station for a pseudo router table. Since then, I have made my own table with the base plate, as it was from Lee Valley and the plate came with plans to make one.

Routers can be fairly cheap, especially if you can find a local used one. They come in handy for other things if you venture into small furniture making, cases, display shelves etc.

Edited by brucered, 19 March 2017 - 05:53 PM.

#3 mattwalt

mattwalt

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 286 posts
  • LocationStratford Upon Avon

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:53 AM

Like Brucered says - try find one secondhand - handheld is fine - If it has a baseplate with guide rods its easy to make a table for it board with a hole and the router clamped in from the bottom... 

#4 ryanpaul

ryanpaul
  • Registered
  • 40 posts
  • Locationnew mexico usa

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:23 PM

I don't use my router for naturals, which is what I make most. But it sure comes in handy when I'm making Poly or Boardcut frames.

Once you buy the router, you'll need to add a few bucks in bits, base plate and maybe even a router table.

For a long time, I just uses a router base plate and clamped it in a work station for a pseudo router table. Since then, I have made my own table with the base plate, as it was from Lee Valley and the plate came with plans to make one.

Routers can be fairly cheap, especially if you can find a local used one. They come in handy for other things if you venture into small furniture making, cases, display shelves etc.

Like Brucered says - try find one secondhand - handheld is fine - If it has a baseplate with guide rods its easy to make a table for it board with a hole and the router clamped in from the bottom... 

im getting one with 3hp bunch of power, n plan on attaching it and a jig saw to small tables.

#5 mattwalt

mattwalt

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 286 posts
  • LocationStratford Upon Avon

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:01 PM

im getting one with 3hp bunch of power, n plan on attaching it and a jig saw to small tables.

Its what I'm trying to get sorted my side - same setup. 

#6 ryanpaul

ryanpaul
  • Registered
  • 40 posts
  • Locationnew mexico usa

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:00 PM

Its what I'm trying to get sorted my side - same setup. 

i got 6amp jig saw on way that should keep me from bandsaw for a while??? i think i would get scroll saw anyway???? you???

#7 brucered

brucered

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:02 PM

I don't use my jigsaw for anything slingshot related, it's all scroll saw for me.

I have contemplated a bandsaw, but members here have me wondering if I need it.

Edited by brucered, 20 March 2017 - 05:03 PM.

#8 ryanpaul

ryanpaul
  • Registered
  • 40 posts
  • Locationnew mexico usa

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:33 PM

I don't use my jigsaw for anything slingshot related, it's all scroll saw for me.

I have contemplated a bandsaw, but members here have me wondering if I need it.

it looks like the cuts are more detail and fine with scroll saw.  slower is downside i hear. how long does it take to cut out 3/8 aluminum blank?

#9 brucered

brucered

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:53 PM

it looks like the cuts are more detail and fine with scroll saw. slower is downside i hear. how long does it take to cut out 3/8 aluminum blank?

I have one done wood, roughing on naturals and Poly.

It was for cutting G10, Micarta and aluminum that was I was looking at a bandsaw. One of these days I get my hands on some material to try it on the scroll saw.

#10 ryanpaul

ryanpaul
  • Registered
  • 40 posts
  • Locationnew mexico usa

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:20 PM

then let me know please. cuz im pretty sure im rollin with the scroll saw neatness if not so bad. shouldnt be ive seen youtube, that setup cut fast as anything else.

#11 ryanpaul

ryanpaul
  • Registered
  • 40 posts
  • Locationnew mexico usa

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:21 PM

it looks like the cuts are more detail and fine with scroll saw. slower is downside i hear. how long does it take to cut out 3/8 aluminum blank?

I have one done wood, roughing on naturals and Poly.

It was for cutting G10, Micarta and aluminum that was I was looking at a bandsaw. One of these days I get my hands on some material to try it on the scroll saw.

then let me know please. cuz im pretty sure im rollin with the scroll saw neatness if not so bad. shouldnt be ive seen youtube, that setup cut fast as anything else.

--Click to Remove Ads--