Close
--Click to Remove Ads--
Photo
- - - - -

Why do you think archery is more popular then slingshots ?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 AKTodd

AKTodd
  • Registered
  • 5 posts
  • LocationWasilla, Alaska

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:57 PM

Deer Hunting! Would in my opinion, be the logical answer to your question. Putting food on the table, and in some areas increasing the number of deer you can harvest by having an archery season.  

For several reasons, its the biggest driving motivation for bow purchases across the US as a whole.

I'm taking up slingshots for small game, but would get in line for one that could take down a moose. :)

#42 mattwalt

mattwalt

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 287 posts
  • LocationStratford Upon Avon

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:15 AM

I used to care about 'growing the sport' ... 'it should be in the Olympics' or 'a movie like Red Dawn but featuring slingshots would fuel this renaissance' , yada yada.   It's natural for those of us inside the circle to want to share and spread the passion, but even with world wide growth, it's still a niche activity.   The ECST barely attracts 40 shooters.   In China (pop. 1.38 billion) there's allegedly only 100,000 enthusiasts - a very small percentage.

Males, especially, like to 'point and smite' at distance.   In the near term, I can see continued steady, but not explosive growth.     

No-one at the ESCT contact the local schools and Scout/Girl Guide groups - with a lower entrance say $10 (supplying equipment and more suited prises)? That should swell the ranks significantly (from 40) - also bring it them as family groups... Dads. Obviously without experiencing these events not sure what they end up being like.

Do scouts have inter scout group tournaments?

Really surprised by the small numbers - seems on par with the UK I should suspect by percentage.

#43 Imperial

Imperial

HOBBYIST-SOPHOMORIC-JACKA$$

• Registered
  • 8,155 posts
  • LocationHELLPERIAL, MEXIFORNIA

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:06 AM

another similar subject on slingshots as a sport? 

1) okay, like ive said in the past, slingshots have to be promoted as a target sport first. it can be done indoors and outdoors. it should be piggybacking along with some existing target shoot competitions like in archery and firearms, just a range to the side displaying what can be done with a proper set up and some practice.

2) slingshots made of metal, micarta, exotic woods, HDPE, and various materials are nice, but you also have to show people that you dont need to own some slingshot with a laser sight or titanium wristbrace with a light attached, its not a freakin rifle ! you cant compare the two! you have to start them off with a good ol fashioned natural as proof that it can be done on the cheap. 

3) gun control and local economy situations is what also does determine who picks up a slingshot. youre more likely to pick up a slingshot as an alternative if you are limited in owning a firearm due to either regulations, laws and finances.   those who do have firearms and money will usually pick up a slingshot for nostalgia or just for something different. 

4) explain the difference between a sling and a slingshot to people. 

5)organization, ruling body, or what ever you want to call it, is nice but you cant think of one just quite yet when theres a tourney or two being formed without such a thing. 

speaking of-  maybe there should be a tourney under the sponsorship of a vendor like in the days of past. for example a tourney sponsored by daisy/marksman/crosman or a tourney in the local area sponsored by , lets say, simple shot, A+, or predator .  but that may never happen because slingshots arent their 24/7 job. so until a major retailer or business helps, in a consistant matter, it will remain grass roots. 

Edited by Imperial, 20 March 2017 - 02:08 AM.

#44 mattwalt

mattwalt

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 287 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:11 AM

Nicely put Imperial. A nice short version of what I have been trying to get across.

#45 Imperial

Imperial

HOBBYIST-SOPHOMORIC-JACKA$$

• Registered
  • 8,155 posts
  • LocationHELLPERIAL, MEXIFORNIA

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:01 AM

Nicely put Imperial. A nice short version of what I have been trying to get across.

i have my moments  :) 

#46 mattwalt

mattwalt

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 287 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:03 AM

It would be cool for a forum to put together a set of rules as a guide for organisers... But its going to be difficult with too many chiefs...

Edited by mattwalt, 20 March 2017 - 04:04 AM.

#47 romanljc

romanljc

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 248 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:53 AM

I don't know see the problem with tournments is most people don't like loosing only the best will show up at your tournaments. People that can't win will give it up probably.
But hunting everyone or at least more people can be successful .
And slingshot shooting is not exactly a spectator sport . It's not like everyone on earth just about knows what a slingshot is .
You would need many small local tournments for it to work . Like darts or pool for example
Just having one or 2 big ones only gets the best to show up . If you know what I mean .

#48 treefork

treefork

Focus

• +Member
  • 18,499 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:07 PM

1) okay, like ive said in the past, slingshots have to be promoted as a target sport first. it can be done indoors and outdoors. it should be piggybacking along with some existing target shoot competitions like in archery and firearms, just a range to the side displaying what can be done with a proper set up and some practice.

2) slingshots made of metal, micarta, exotic woods, HDPE, and various materials are nice, but you also have to show people that you dont need to own some slingshot with a laser sight or titanium wristbrace with a light attached, its not a freakin rifle ! you cant compare the two! you have to start them off with a good ol fashioned natural as proof that it can be done on the cheap. 

3) gun control and local economy situations is what also does determine who picks up a slingshot. youre more likely to pick up a slingshot as an alternative if you are limited in owning a firearm due to either regulations, laws and finances.   those who do have firearms and money will usually pick up a slingshot for nostalgia or just for something different. 

5)organization, ruling body, or what ever you want to call it, is nice but you cant think of one just quite yet when theres a tourney or two being formed without such a thing. 

speaking of-  maybe there should be a tourney under the sponsorship of a vendor like in the days of past. for example a tourney sponsored by daisy/marksman/crosman or a tourney in the local area sponsored by , lets say, simple shot, A+, or predator .  but that may never happen because slingshots arent their 24/7 job. so until a major retailer or business helps, in a consistant matter, it will remain grass roots. 

Correction and clarification . Slingshots ARE the 24/7 job of simpleshot ( Nathan Masters ) . Also becoming the 24/7 of Bill Hays and Jim Harris .

#49 THWACK!

THWACK!

Resident American humorist, magician and faux intellect

• Silver Sponsor Silver Sponsor
  • 1,479 posts
  • LocationUSA, thank you

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:10 PM

Actually - it seems many of the main US/Canadian manufacturers are genuinely nice guys. 

Think SS is actually quite well suited to ladies shooting. Its probably a sport where they could actually perform better than guys... 

Well, I'm not disagreeing with you about the ladies, but there's something about those kind of folk - well, let me give you a f''rinstance - 

When my sister was a young lady, she started to learn how to play the accordion, but as she matured, a couple of body parts got in the way of the accordion pleats being compressed, the darn thing started sounding more and more awful, I can still hear her shrieks, and she just plain gave up on the instrument. We all thanked her.

THWACK!     :wave:  

#50 THWACK!

THWACK!

• 1,479 posts
  • LocationUSA, thank you

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:13 PM

Chinese may own firearms for hunting with the correct licence... Very similar to the UK - only allowed firearms for hunting (bowhunting and crossbow hunting are banned) - in fact most countries have a similar set of legislation. Think the US is one of the few exceptions.

I sit partially corrected, thank you.

I was getting a sore spot there anyway, thank you.

THWACK!

#51 THWACK!

THWACK!

• 1,479 posts
  • LocationUSA, thank you

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:16 PM

Correction and clarification . Slingshots ARE the 24/7 job of simpleshot ( Nathan Masters ) . Also becoming the 24/7 of Bill Hays and Jim Harris .

So are you saying that Bill is going to completely give up breeding/raising/selling Greyhounds (not the buses, silly) to only produce/distribute slingshots?

#52 romanljc

romanljc

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 248 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:24 PM

I think the tournments should have life size knock down targets of animals . Even big game .
Something like they do with the airgun and sort of like 3d archery tournments do.
A combination of both.

Edited by romanljc, 20 March 2017 - 06:43 PM.

--Click to Remove Ads--