Close
--Click to Remove Ads--
Photo
- - - - -

Why do you think archery is more popular then slingshots ?

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#21 mattwalt

mattwalt

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 843 posts
  • LocationStratford Upon Avon

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:29 PM

The Olympics.

It is said that the archery events draw the biggest crowd.

We enjoy watching it. Its one of the events we go out of our way to watch.

#22 THWACK!

THWACK!

Resident American humorist, magician and faux intellect

• Silver Sponsor Silver Sponsor
  • 1,507 posts
  • LocationUSA, thank you

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:29 PM

People see slingshots as a child's toy.

#23 THWACK!

THWACK!

• 1,507 posts
  • LocationUSA, thank you

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:34 PM

Ulysses, Robin Hood, and large game capable  vs. Volp, Treefork, and headshots on squirrels...

I think we've held our own.   :)

... also Cupid, the Sagittarius Centaur, and men in tights vs. Dennis the Menace, broken windows and this -

#24 THWACK!

THWACK!

• 1,507 posts
  • LocationUSA, thank you

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:36 PM

Nathan of Simple Shot contributes greatly to the sport. I mean this sincerely, no bad intentions. If you want this sport to grow, get the ladies involved. Even if they don't shoot, they have the best organizational skills. I watch ladies support their kids, and husbands.

...and bras and girdles support ladies...

#25 THWACK!

THWACK!

• 1,507 posts
  • LocationUSA, thank you

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:41 PM

There is one more thing here that no one has hit on. I've shot hundreds of archery tournaments and it is a blast to do. BUT!!! It is like watching paint dry for spectators. Everyone that goes to tournaments are participating. Sponsors and manufactures have for years tried to make it more exiting to watch. They can't. ASA came up with the shoot down round but everybody in the stands are archers. We need to make Slingshot tournaments as exciting as possible to watch by non participants. Just my $.02

Agreed - but watching archery and pistol shooting are about as exciting as... golf or 5 day cricket. At most archery events its archers and family watching - same for most shooting sports. Its not football... I'll only watch shooting if I happen to find it while flicking through channels ( I do try watch olympics ones ). And its not like I'll be following a certain shooter - or wondering what loads he uses... have posters... 

In fact trying to find out about SS events you need to be within the inner circle... know the secret handshake... have a badge. And even then knowing what the rules will be and having the special codex to read it... oh. and its only available for a short glimmer of a moment.

It seems to me that SS as a whole wants to be huge and accepted, but at the same time its sort of a special club and secret - can't have both.

Its big in Japan (er.. sorry China) - what are they doing right?

In Spain and Italy... Its seems to be a working class sport (same as darts and SS in UK) - which has its limitations... stigma.

I would go as far as to say it would need to be the US that gets things going - finds the women... 

It's big in China because it is inexpensive (also, they eat whatever animal they shoot) and they allow no firearms among the populace. Go figure though, it was the Chinese who invented gunpowder!  Well, at least they can play with fireworks on holidays. 

Edited by THWACK!, 19 March 2017 - 03:48 PM.

#26 THWACK!

THWACK!

• 1,507 posts
  • LocationUSA, thank you

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:47 PM

There is one more thing here that no one has hit on. I've shot hundreds of archery tournaments and it is a blast to do. BUT!!! It is like watching paint dry for spectators. Everyone that goes to tournaments are participating. Sponsors and manufactures have for years tried to make it more exiting to watch. They can't. ASA came up with the shoot down round but everybody in the stands are archers. We need to make Slingshot tournaments as exciting as possible to watch by non participants. Just my $.02

If the archers would shoot at more reactive targets, there would be more interest in the sport. 

I filled a ZipLoc with red food coloring and secured it secretly behind a standard bullseye target. When an archer hit the bullseye, the target bled.

THAT was fun! 

...and that's the kind of thing a THWACK! will normally do  :screwy:  :werd:

THWACK!

Edited by THWACK!, 19 March 2017 - 03:53 PM.

#27 mattwalt

mattwalt

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 843 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:49 PM

Chinese may own firearms for hunting with the correct licence... Very similar to the UK - only allowed firearms for hunting (bowhunting and crossbow hunting are banned) - in fact most countries have a similar set of legislation. Think the US is one of the few exceptions.

Edited by mattwalt, 19 March 2017 - 03:51 PM.

#28 romanljc

romanljc

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 493 posts
  • LocationNorth East USA

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:50 PM

I still say the way to grow the sport is to market it to hunters who are using bows and guns already to hunt .
Make ads that show the advantages fun of using a slingshot and us famous pro tv hunters like Keith Warren to use them like gamo did with there airguns .

#29 THWACK!

THWACK!

• 1,507 posts
  • LocationUSA, thank you

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:55 PM

The Olympics.

It is said that the archery events draw the biggest crowd.

We enjoy watching it. Its one of the events we go out of our way to watch.

Yup, that and the women's gymnastics  and volleyball  :rofl:

#30 mattwalt

mattwalt

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 843 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:56 PM

I still say the way to grow the sport is to market it to hunters who are using bows and guns already to hunt .
Make ads that show the advantages fun of using a slingshot and us famous pro tv hunters like Keith Warren to use them like gamo did with there airguns .

Think you'd still be singing to a very small choir. You need non-hunters to widely adopt it as target shooting. Think globally there are too many who frown on hunting - but wouldn't mind the idea of target shooting. 

#31 romanljc

romanljc

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 493 posts
  • LocationNorth East USA

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:10 PM

Think you'd still be singing to a very small choir. You need non-hunters to widely adopt it as target shooting. Think globally there are too many who frown on hunting - but wouldn't mind the idea of target shooting.

Not in the USA

#32 mattwalt

mattwalt

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 843 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:16 PM

I'm sure there are way more non hunters than hunters around. Even in the US. I'm also sure you'll have more people want to shoot cans than squirrels. And don't get me wrong - I'm all for hunting, unfortunately don't get to do it much.

#33 romanljc

romanljc

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 493 posts
  • LocationNorth East USA

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:57 PM

I'm sure there are way more non hunters than hunters around. Even in the US. I'm also sure you'll have more people want to shoot cans than squirrels. And don't get me wrong - I'm all for hunting, unfortunately don't get to do it much.

Hunters spend more time and money on there gear then anyone else I'm not really a big hunter either at least anymore but I do go out from time to time if only to take a walk in the woods . But I see who is in the sporting goods stores buying bows and guns and I see which YouTube videos get the most views and its hunting related videos not target related. For example go look at someone like gamekeeper johns YouTube channel notice the videos he does on hunting always have more views then anything else .

Edited by romanljc, 19 March 2017 - 05:00 PM.

#34 mattwalt

mattwalt

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 843 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:34 PM

Look I hear you. The difference is a box of ammo costs probably more than a slingshot. GKJ (TBH not his biggest fan - would probably enjoy a few beers with maybe) and a few others... well there is a bit of a long story there, which is not relevant right now... Most kids these days are raised fairly sheltered lives... xbox/PS... food comes off a shelf (not from a farm). Eggs are packaged vs laid... There is a huge disconnect between food and its origin - obviously that is something that people are working on rectifying (esp. in the UK with TV programs etc.). 

But if I had to just as let my 11 year old see that stuff on youtube she'd be under the table dribbling and shaking... let alone let her witness that first hand. its not that we shelter her from food truths - and in fact have incouraged her to find out as much as she can. She fishes - catch and release only but won't touch... Suggest she should go out and kill something she'll most probably be physically ill... And I'm sure she's not a minority. She's also a keen SS shooter...

If anything - Youtube clips like GKJ actually create a difficult scenario to manage - as it gives full access to uneducated 'hunters' to run riot in the countryside (without proper understanding of the law or consequences) - sort of a Bear Grills, survivor-man thing. It promotes bad practice, in a way of allowing a toddler loose with scissors. It also does not take much to have an activity banned.

Yes I agree with you. BUT only as one niche avenue. Hunting with SS is not the bright future of it as a sport - competition is. Everyone likes to know that they are better than the next guy - its human nature. No gore required.

#35 romanljc

romanljc

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 493 posts
  • LocationNorth East USA

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:57 PM

Look I hear you. The difference is a box of ammo costs probably more than a slingshot. GKJ (TBH not his biggest fan - would probably enjoy a few beers with maybe) and a few others... well there is a bit of a long story there, which is not relevant right now... Most kids these days are raised fairly sheltered lives... xbox/PS... food comes off a shelf (not from a farm). Eggs are packaged vs laid... There is a huge disconnect between food and its origin - obviously that is something that people are working on rectifying (esp. in the UK with TV programs etc.).

But if I had to just as let my 11 year old see that stuff on youtube she'd be under the table dribbling and shaking... let alone let her witness that first hand. its not that we shelter her from food truths - and in fact have incouraged her to find out as much as she can. She fishes - catch and release only but won't touch... Suggest she should go out and kill something she'll most probably be physically ill... And I'm sure she's not a minority. She's also a keen SS shooter...
If anything - Youtube clips like GKJ actually create a difficult scenario to manage - as it gives full access to uneducated 'hunters' to run riot in the countryside (without proper understanding of the law or consequences) - sort of a Bear Grills, survivor-man thing. It promotes bad practice, in a way of allowing a toddler loose with scissors. It also does not take much to have an activity banned.

Yes I agree with you. BUT only as one niche avenue. Hunting with SS is not the bright future of it as a sport - competition is. Everyone likes to know that they are better than the next guy - its human nature. No gore required.

To me it seems like fishpole goes to fishermen as slingshots go to hunters .
I'm pretty sure the guy who made the first slingshot made it to hunt with. I think people get into target shooting only after getting into hunting first generally speaking

Edited by romanljc, 19 March 2017 - 06:01 PM.

#36 mattwalt

mattwalt

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 843 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:01 PM

No actually. Apparently to cause mayhem... ironically :-)

By 1860, had already established a reputation for juvenile use in vandalism

#37 romanljc

romanljc

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 493 posts
  • LocationNorth East USA

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:06 PM

No actually. Apparently to cause mayhem... ironically :-)

By 1860, had already established a reputation for juvenile use in vandalism

Ask rufus hussey what he used his slingshot for it was the poor man's shotgun originally

#38 mattwalt

mattwalt

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 843 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:10 PM

Yes it was. But if you consider the rubber required was only invented by 1839 odd - the fact its reputation for vandalism 20 years later is interesting. Firstly how long from rubber to forked stick rock chucker... secondly what came first the window or the goose?

#39 Alfred E. Monkeynipples

Alfred E. Monkeynipples

Who is the I that says I Am

• +Member
  • 681 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:16 PM

I used to care about 'growing the sport' ... 'it should be in the Olympics' or 'a movie like Red Dawn but featuring slingshots would fuel this renaissance' , yada yada.   It's natural for those of us inside the circle to want to share and spread the passion, but even with world wide growth, it's still a niche activity.   The ECST barely attracts 40 shooters.   In China (pop. 1.38 billion) there's allegedly only 100,000 enthusiasts - a very small percentage.

Males, especially, like to 'point and smite' at distance.   In the near term, I can see continued steady, but not explosive growth.     

#40 romanljc

romanljc

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 493 posts
  • LocationNorth East USA

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:17 PM

Yes it was. But if you consider the rubber required was only invented by 1839 odd - the fact its reputation for vandalism 20 years later is interesting. Firstly how long from rubber to forked stick rock chucker... secondly what came first the window or the goose?

In farm country back in the day if you were poor that is what you used sometimes to get meat that's what the old timers would tell you . Guys like
rufus hussey

--Click to Remove Ads--