Close
--Click to Remove Ads--
Photo
- - - - -

Why do you think archery is more popular then slingshots ?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 romanljc

romanljc

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 389 posts
  • LocationNorth East USA

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:05 AM

Why do you think archery is more popular then slingshots ?
  • Tag likes this

#2 CornDawg

CornDawg

Batter Dipped

• +Member
  • 813 posts
  • LocationU.S.A. Pacific Northwest

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:01 AM

Ulysses, Robin Hood, and large game capable  vs. Volp, Treefork, and headshots on squirrels...

I think we've held our own.   :)

#3 bradclark1

bradclark1
  • Registered
  • 66 posts
  • LocationConnecticut USA

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:57 AM

People see slingshots as a child's toy.

#4 bradclark1

bradclark1
  • Registered
  • 66 posts
  • LocationConnecticut USA

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:11 AM

Welcome back Chuck. Haven't seen your writings in a while.

• Tag likes this

#5 romanljc

romanljc

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 389 posts
  • LocationNorth East USA

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:26 AM

Here's what I think someone like simpleshot should do if they want to really grow this sport we need someone like Keith Warren to hunt with a slingshot on his show .
Like he has been doing now with gamo airguns
In fact I would go as for to say we need him to hunt something like a hog to really get the point across that slingshots are not just toys.
Most hunters sportsmen have no idea how powerful a slingshot can be so they don't bother with them .
Basically it will take lots of advertising money on tv to grow the sport
That's a big part of why
Archery is so popular

#6 SonoftheRepublic

SonoftheRepublic

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 260 posts
  • LocationGreat American SouthWest

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:15 AM

Was reading an article yesterday by James Wesley Rawles titled: "Quiet Rimfire Shooting Without a Suppressor".  And although it was mainly about .22 rimfire, it did somewhat address this issue in the body of the piece, under section titled "ALTERNATIVES".  And even went so far as to suggest that, as a quiet stealth hunting alternative to firearms, slingshots are the superior choice, even to archery, for hunting small game,  . . . provided you have the skills.   :)

See article here:  https://survivalblog...ppressor_by_mb/

Edited by SonoftheRepublic, 19 March 2017 - 09:18 AM.

#7 Tag

Tag

3000 Post Club

• Silver Sponsor Silver Sponsor
  • 3,576 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:12 AM

archery is promoted by manufacturers, they even help promote archery in schools. In the state of Kentucky they have after school archery clinics. They go as far as having a tournament where the kids can earn scholarships. The manufacture helps provide the equipment to ease the cost for the participants. They margine of profit on a slingshot verses a bow is like night and day. I feel the vendors on this Forum do more than their fair share. The bottom line at least in my area is Liability and the all mighty dollar. Just maybe with people like you and others in this Forum it just may happen someday. Thanks for bringing up this subject.

#8 mattwalt

mattwalt

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 511 posts
  • LocationStratford Upon Avon

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:20 AM

Archery IS an institution. Its also been around way longer... 

Slingshots like mentioned skirt between toy and small-game hunting. Whereas archery is capable of taking some serious game (try take a Lion with an SS) so has a way bigger street cred. Also something about a blade flying at high speed vs a steel ball and some elastic...

The major factors that SS has is its accessibility and low cost... it just needs to be taken seriously as a target sport (like China and Spain etc.)

I still believe a governing body/ies which standardises events as well as promotes the sport would go a long way (esp. in UK). Then manufacturers offering taster sessions...

#9 Tag

Tag

3000 Post Club

• 3,576 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:37 AM

Great post MattWalt

#10 Alfred E. Monkeynipples

Alfred E. Monkeynipples

Who is the I that says I Am

• +Member
  • 644 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:59 AM

Ulysses, Robin Hood, and large game capable  vs. Volp, Treefork, and headshots on squirrels...

I think we've held our own.   :)

... also Cupid, the Sagittarius Centaur, and men in tights vs. Dennis the Menace, broken windows and this -

Attached Thumbnails

• 807f0ca8369942fba5be424a1b546072.jpg

#11 romanljc

romanljc

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 389 posts
  • LocationNorth East USA

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:05 PM

Sad truth of it is unless manufacturers spend more on advertising on those popular hunting shows for example .
It will be hard to grow the sport to the point of something like archery.

#12 mattwalt

mattwalt

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:30 PM

Actually Bill H seems to help the sport along a bit. But again you need a governing body - manufacturers can only do so much. Manufacturers need to get behind this organisation and help it along (its in their best interest anyway) - be that through sponsorship, active participation etc. We is needed is someone/ or group of someone's to get it up and running, then try keep its momentum. Having the forums is great - but it needs to be elevated past the club status it has now.

Being anywhere as large as archery is doubtful - its the oldest shooting sport in existence. But there is no reason why it can't be taken seriously as a sport.

Lets hope there is someone out there who is willing and capable to carry the torch long enough. And with enough determination to get a rule book sorted. Then with good events - handmade competition as well as shooting.

I could see disciplines such as a 8/10m indoor BB  / Hunter limited/Unlimited outdoor field type event / Spanish target / Field limited/unlimited / standard target... SS seems to swing between archery and pistol shooting approaches depending on organisers...

Edited by mattwalt, 19 March 2017 - 12:42 PM.

#13 Tag

Tag

3000 Post Club

• 3,576 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:08 PM

Nathan of Simple Shot contributes greatly to the sport. I mean this sincerely, no bad intentions. If you want this sport to grow, get the ladies involved. Even if they don't shoot, they have the best organizational skills. I watch ladies support their kids, and husbands.

#14 Ibojoe

Ibojoe

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:19 PM

There is one more thing here that no one has hit on. I've shot hundreds of archery tournaments and it is a blast to do. BUT!!! It is like watching paint dry for spectators. Everyone that goes to tournaments are participating. Sponsors and manufactures have for years tried to make it more exiting to watch. They can't. ASA came up with the shoot down round but everybody in the stands are archers. We need to make Slingshot tournaments as exciting as possible to watch by non participants. Just my $.02

Edited by Ibojoe, 19 March 2017 - 01:22 PM.

#15 mattwalt

mattwalt

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:22 PM

Actually - it seems many of the main US/Canadian manufacturers are genuinely nice guys. 

Think SS is actually quite well suited to ladies shooting. Its probably a sport where they could actually perform better than guys... 

#16 Tag

Tag

3000 Post Club

• 3,576 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:29 PM

A couple gets married, on their wedding day the groom ask if he can be boss. His now wife explains to him that she will be boss for the first 50 years, and he can be boss the next 50 years. On their 50th anniversary the husband ask his wife if he can be boss now. His wife answers "no" the husband ask why not. The wife explains he doesn't have enough experience.

#17 mattwalt

mattwalt

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:38 PM

There is one more thing here that no one has hit on. I've shot hundreds of archery tournaments and it is a blast to do. BUT!!! It is like watching paint dry for spectators. Everyone that goes to tournaments are participating. Sponsors and manufactures have for years tried to make it more exiting to watch. They can't. ASA came up with the shoot down round but everybody in the stands are archers. We need to make Slingshot tournaments as exciting as possible to watch by non participants. Just my $.02

Agreed - but watching archery and pistol shooting are about as exciting as... golf or 5 day cricket. At most archery events its archers and family watching - same for most shooting sports. Its not football... I'll only watch shooting if I happen to find it while flicking through channels ( I do try watch olympics ones ). And its not like I'll be following a certain shooter - or wondering what loads he uses... have posters... 

In fact trying to find out about SS events you need to be within the inner circle... know the secret handshake... have a badge. And even then knowing what the rules will be and having the special codex to read it... oh. and its only available for a short glimmer of a moment.

It seems to me that SS as a whole wants to be huge and accepted, but at the same time its sort of a special club and secret - can't have both.

Its big in Japan (er.. sorry China) - what are they doing right?

In Spain and Italy... Its seems to be a working class sport (same as darts and SS in UK) - which has its limitations... stigma.

I would go as far as to say it would need to be the US that gets things going - finds the women... 

#18 honorary pie

honorary pie

not really a pie.

• Registered
  • 985 posts
  • LocationOntario Canada

Posted 19 March 2017 - 02:05 PM

I dunno, I was shooting my slinghsot today, and not my bow, and that's what matters to me. slingshots have not gone away since they were invented,and I know as many archers As I do slingshooters. many more have admitted to having a shot a slingshot at sometime in their life, than a bow.. so perhaps neither are near as popular as other other weapons and sports, in fact almost every store that sells a bow, also sells a daisy, marksman, or similar wrist braced design...

#19 mattwalt

mattwalt

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 02:30 PM

I dunno, I was shooting my slinghsot today, and not my bow, and that's what matters to me. slingshots have not gone away since they were invented,and I know as many archers As I do slingshooters. many more have admitted to having a shot a slingshot at sometime in their life, than a bow.. so perhaps neither are near as popular as other other weapons and sports, in fact almost every store that sells a bow, also sells a daisy, marksman, or similar wrist braced design...

In fact I'd go as far to say the SS may be the second most practiced sport in the world after fishing... Think generally most people have tried it at some stage... Ironically... Unlike archery which is not quite as accessible globally. In some parts of the world buying a slingshot is as simple as stopping at the traffic lights... I just don't think people see it as a real 'sport' - a tool to keep the birds out of the seed bed... or a few days fun. Its the next step.

• Tag likes this

#20 THWACK!

THWACK!

Resident American humorist, magician and faux intellect

• 1,507 posts
  • LocationUSA, thank you

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:25 PM

The Olympics.

It is said that the archery events draw the biggest crowd.

--Click to Remove Ads--