#1 ryanpaul

ryanpaul

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 190 posts
  • Locationnew mexico usa

Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:23 PM

http://www.ebay.com/...sd=151335506299

would this set be ok, or would i be better of getting nicholsons?

• Tag likes this

#2 brucered

brucered

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:01 PM

All depends on what you need it for. I would have no need for all those files and don't care for the handle swapping feature.

90% of my work is done with a 4-in-1 and a round file, raw file, no handles, cheap and available locally to anyone.

The 2 in the case are never used.

ddd5aebfde3893305325ed8bf397eb83.jpg

#3 flipgun

flipgun

2000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 2,981 posts
  • Locationtexas

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:14 AM

That Nicholson 4-in-1 is hard to beat. That, and a round file and a chainsaw file will do for danged near anything. 

#4 mattwalt

mattwalt

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 511 posts
  • LocationStratford Upon Avon

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:18 AM

Nicholson is a great brand.

• Tag likes this

#5 Ibojoe

Ibojoe

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:01 AM

These guys are right. Most of the files in that details never be used.

#6 ryanpaul

ryanpaul

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 190 posts
  • Locationnew mexico usa

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:22 AM

All depends on what you need it for. I would have no need for all those files and don't care for the handle swapping feature.

90% of my work is done with a 4-in-1 and a round file, raw file, no handles, cheap and available locally to anyone.

so no need for the round rasp? i wasnt gonna use them all, however the 4 in 1, rounds, 1/2 rounds i think i would use. the price on those gonna run me more then these? your saying get the few i need in quality?

#7 ryanpaul

ryanpaul

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 190 posts
  • Locationnew mexico usa

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:22 AM

These guys are right. Most of the files in that details never be used.

so no need for the round rasp? i wasnt gonna use them all, however the 4 in 1, rounds, 1/2 rounds i think i would use. the price on those gonna run me more then these? your saying get the few i need in quality?

• Tag likes this

#8 ryanpaul

ryanpaul

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 190 posts
  • Locationnew mexico usa

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:24 AM

Nicholson is a great brand.

• Tag likes this

#9 ryanpaul

ryanpaul

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 190 posts
  • Locationnew mexico usa

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:24 AM

That Nicholson 4-in-1 is hard to beat. That, and a round file and a chainsaw file will do for danged near anything. 

• Tag likes this

#10 brucered

brucered

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:32 AM

Yes, but quality and buy once.

If you only want a couple, buy those in a better/known brand.

At least that's my thinking.

Edited by brucered, 19 March 2017 - 11:32 AM.

• Tag likes this

#11 ryanpaul

ryanpaul

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 190 posts
  • Locationnew mexico usa

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:38 AM

Yes, but quality and buy once.

If you only want a couple, buy those in a better/known brand.

At least that's my thinking.

also i dont know what few are gonna be my go to files. 

• Tag likes this

#12 brucered

brucered

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:39 AM

If you don't know, just buy a 4-1. That set is overkill. Same as 15 piece knife block set or a 60 piece screwdriver set. You only need 3 knives and 8-10 screwdrivers.

It may be all you need. But if you want it, go for it. It's only $12.

Edited by brucered, 19 March 2017 - 11:43 AM.

• Tag likes this

#13 mattwalt

mattwalt

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:17 PM

I'd assume a medium sized flat/half round in medium/fine teeth and a course/rasp in the same sort of size (or a 4in one like mentioned - I prefer mine with handles) Then a smaller 1/4 round and a larger 1/2 round (then I'd also recommend a needle files 1/8 round and a 1/8 square). Thats as many as you'll ever need.

Being someone who believes in quality but buys the cheap ones... but once and get quality - nothing sucks more than trying to make something work properly as expected that doesn't want to...

If they don't become your go-to files I'd be extremely surprised... 

Edited by mattwalt, 19 March 2017 - 12:18 PM.

• Tag likes this

#14 SlingNerd

SlingNerd
  • Registered
  • 58 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:59 PM

Not to be devil's advocate here or anything, but it looks perfectly fine as a starter set.

I say go for it. And then shown us what you make with them!

• Tag likes this

#15 mattwalt

mattwalt

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:16 PM

I agree SN its great starter set of files - though you can get a 4 in one for $9 posted and get a round and you have a really good quality usable set. Where as buying a $17 starter set which you'l probably use say 4 out of actually works out more expensive.

Though on the other hand is - when it comes to tools its personal preference anyway. We can only give advice based on our experiences. 

I've come to the belief its usually better buying just whats required (but the best quality I can cognitively afford) over getting budget sets. 

#16 SlingNerd

SlingNerd
  • Registered
  • 58 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:29 PM

100% agree that tools are a personal thing. I am forever in love with my Nicholsons.

Also agree that when buying tools you should get the best that you can afford (sandpaper included - it's a tool!)

#17 ryanpaul

ryanpaul

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 190 posts
  • Locationnew mexico usa

Posted 19 March 2017 - 02:46 PM

i got the set. i may take on a variety of projects? the quality is ok for ss? http://www.ebay.com/...6299&rmvSB=true i also got a 12 set of 1/8 size.

Edited by ryanpaul, 19 March 2017 - 02:48 PM.

#18 mattwalt

mattwalt

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 02:52 PM

I got less than that - you'll be good with those.

#19 ryanpaul

ryanpaul

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 190 posts
  • Locationnew mexico usa

Posted 19 March 2017 - 02:56 PM

I agree SN its great starter set of files - though you can get a 4 in one for $9 posted and get a round and you have a really good quality usable set. Where as buying a $17 starter set which you'l probably use say 4 out of actually works out more expensive.

Though on the other hand is - when it comes to tools its personal preference anyway. We can only give advice based on our experiences. 

I've come to the belief its usually better buying just whats required (but the best quality I can cognitively afford) over getting budget sets. 

even if i use 4  those 4 woulda ran 20 bucks seperate? im planing on microplane  in near future,  gonna use these as well?

#20 mattwalt

mattwalt

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:05 PM

even if i use 4  those 4 woulda ran 20 bucks seperate? im planing on microplane  in near future,  gonna use these as well?

True - sorry was just trying to make a point. That buying in sets can actually cost more - and its worth doing the math. More is not always more. 

I look forward to seeing your creations. Be sure to post them.

--Click to Remove Ads--