13 replies to this topic

#1 SlingNerd

SlingNerd

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 152 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:01 PM

I'm really drawn to the pocketable wire frames Dankung has and I want to give tubes a run finally.. After lots of eyeballing on their (somewhat awkward) site I think it's fair to say the "PIXIU" model struck me hardest.

http://www.dankung.c...o-page-product2

If you have any advice or practical knowledge regarding these tiny frames I'd appreciate it! I have big hands, am I out of luck?

#2 Alfred E. Monkeynipples

Alfred E. Monkeynipples

Who is the I that says I Am

• +Member
  • 667 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 16 March 2017 - 11:14 PM

The Pixiu is one of several variations of the S-6 platform, currently a popular ergo design in tube shooters.   All models accommodate large hands.

There's a newer more advanced version called the Antelope - lighter, shorter, cheaper that has aiming notches as well as tube grooves.   A friend has one - sez it's his most accurate slingshot.

http://www.dankung.c...-slingshot_1671

I used to have an Antelope copy - my only negative is that the S-6 models are over half a pound (except the POM).   That's not a problem for most.

The protrusions on the Pixiu bother me, wouldn't want it in any pocket and I don't think they aid the grip much, just style points.

Welcome to Toob World where advice is always free.   

#3 Northerner

Northerner

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:26 AM

It all starts with a mild attraction to the shiny stainless steel designs.  Then your first DanKung frame arrives in the mail. Shortly after you open the package your inner Gollum takes over and you start referring to your new acquisition as "My Precious".  A while later and you are holding your Precious as you surf through the many DK web pages looking for siblings to keep your shiny friend company.  At this point it's too late to back away.  Let this be a warning!  LOL

Attached Thumbnails

• DanKung Collection 007b.jpg

#4 Northerner

Northerner

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:56 AM

Here is the Antelope model.  It's one of my favorites!  It holds well, has sighting notches, contoured fork tips to prevent tubes from slipping, and the shape is sweet.

You might also like to experiment with the various DK tubing.  I have tinkered with 1632, 2040, 1842, 1745, 2050, and some cocktail tube. Most of my shooting is with 2040 doubles and pseudo-tapered 1745. The 1632 is great for .177cal BBs to 5/16" steel.

Enjoy the fun!

Attached Thumbnails

• DK Tubing 005.JPG
  • DK Tubing 004.JPG

#5 twang

twang

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 306 posts
  • Locationgreat britain

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:02 AM

dk have sales every so often.keep a look out .

#6 SlingNerd

SlingNerd

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 152 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:03 AM

Thanks, Gentlemen! I think the Antelope may just be the way I go.

Here is the Antelope model.  It's one of my favorites!  It holds well, has sighting notches, contoured fork tips to prevent tubes from slipping, and the shape is sweet.

You might also like to experiment with the various DK tubing.  I have tinkered with 1632, 2040, 1842, 1745, 2050, and some cocktail tube. Most of my shooting is with 2040 doubles and pseudo-tapered 1745. The 1632 is great for .177cal BBs to 5/16" steel.

Enjoy the fun!

Northerner, you must be some sort of psychic. My follow-up would have been about suggested tubes for .177 BB's.

What all have you done to your Antelope? That's a good looking setup.

#7 Northerner

Northerner

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:22 AM

I installed fork sleeves that I think came from black Theraband tubing or an old set of unused heavy TruMark tubes.  The handle was wrapped with tennis racket "overgrip" from WMart.  I cut the overgrip in half lengthwise and secured the end with a small drop of Superglue on the last overlap (no glue on frame). 

http://slingshotforu...tennis +racket 

Edited by Northerner, 17 March 2017 - 10:40 AM.

#8 SlingNerd

SlingNerd

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 152 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:39 AM

Excellent!

Thanks again.

#9 Northerner

Northerner

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:58 AM

Apparently the red and amber 1632 tubes are the same, except for the color.  I briefly tested both colors in 1632. For BBs you can do well with pseudo-tapers rather than using full loops. Go with about 500% stretch and you will be pleased. My draw length is 32". Below are some numbers I recorded.

--- AMBER 1632 ---

Single Tubes (5 ¾” length – 4 lb draw weight)

.177 cal BB = 231 fps

¼” Steel = 200 fps

Pseudo Tapers (6” length, 1 ½” loops – 5 lb draw weight)

.177cal BB = 252 fps

Double Tubes (6 ½” length – 7 ½ lb draw weight)

3/8” Steel = 178 fps

5/16” Steel = 198 fps

¼” Steel = 212 fps

--- RED 1632 --- 

Double Tubes (5 1/2" length)

.177cal BB (5 gr) - 270 fps

1/4" steel (16 gr) - 256 fps

5/16" steel (32 gr) - 232 fps

3/8" steel (54 gr) - 202 fps

#10 SlingNerd

SlingNerd

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 152 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:14 PM

We have the same draw length, right on.

I guess my nest step is to get my hands on some tubing and make me a pseudo set!

It will be my first time making or shooting them. Exciting.

Appreciate the extra mile in posting the hard numbers, Northerner. 

#11 Alfred E. Monkeynipples

Alfred E. Monkeynipples

Who is the I that says I Am

• +Member
  • 667 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:13 PM

One of the cool things about this hobby is how inexpensive it is - 10 meters of 1632 is a little over 8 bux.   I highly recommend their little red tying jig and some of their 2mm tying rubber.   I spent considerable time and energy making 3 diff tying fixtures but theirs is way better.

If you send me your address, I'll mail out a few BB pouches to help get you started.   Welcome to the fun.   :)

http://www.dankung.c...w-red-1632_1410

http://www.dankung.c...g-band-rig_1098

http://www.dankung.c...m-diameter_2184

#12 kpla51

kpla51
  • Registered
  • 37 posts
  • Locationfort campbell

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:56 PM

Im also interested in the dankung slingshots. Which one was the original? There website is very awkward and there seems to be a ton of different options, Id like one that would be a good hunter since ky just opened small game for slingshots this year. 

#13 Northerner

Northerner

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:11 PM

Im also interested in the dankung slingshots. Which one was the original? There website is very awkward and there seems to be a ton of different options, Id like one that would be a good hunter since ky just opened small game for slingshots this year. 

The plentiful options allow you to find a frame that fits your shooting style, hand size and budget.  You can go with a flat frame or ergo... large or small... tube shooter or flat bander.  

A plain, basic flat frame would be something like the General.  

http://www.dankung.c...-slingshot_1221  

Something a bit smaller would be the General II.

http://www.dankung.c...ingshot-ii_1233  

The tubes or flatbands that you install and the ammo you chose will determine if you have enough power for your hunting needs. 

#14 bopaloobop

bopaloobop

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 122 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 31 March 2017 - 01:14 PM

A lot of people like the black palm thunder, I certainly do. The ergo version is also awesome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

--Click to Remove Ads--