Close
--Click to Remove Ads--
Photo
- - - - -

PPSG or Aluminum scout?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Poll: PPSG or Aluminum scout? (12 member(s) have cast votes)

Wich one would you choose

1. Aluminum scout (8 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

2. PPMG Wood (4 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 kpla51

kpla51
  • Registered
  • 37 posts
  • Locationfort campbell

Posted 16 March 2017 - 06:04 PM

Ok so Ive contemplated on splurging on a slingshot. The two mentioned in the title are what I'm looking at. I just started shooting TTF and seem to do well with it so thats probably how I'm going to stick to shooting for now. I have a regular scout but the aluminum looks awesome! Just wanted some suggestions on wich one I should get, Oh and it would be the wood PPMG. Thanks

Edited by kpla51, 16 March 2017 - 06:12 PM.

• Tag likes this

#2 treefork

treefork

Focus

• +Member
  • 18,499 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 March 2017 - 06:21 PM

Scout

• Tag likes this

#3 PorkChopSling

PorkChopSling

3000 Post Club

• Silver Sponsor Silver Sponsor
  • 3,065 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 March 2017 - 06:49 PM

Scout
I have both, I like the scout more.

#4 kpla51

kpla51
  • Registered
  • 37 posts
  • Locationfort campbell

Posted 16 March 2017 - 06:55 PM

Scout
I have both, I like the scout more.

do you mind maybe explaining why you like one over the other? I know 90% comes down to user preference.

• Tag likes this

#5 transparent101

transparent101
  • Registered
  • 18 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:33 AM

Sorry if I'm missing something here, you mentioned the PPSG in your title but the PPMG in your poll.. so which is it? I'm going to assume you mean the PPMG

And just wondering, is there any reason you're considering the PPMG in wood instead of aluminium like the scout you're considering?

I'm a noob, so I don't have to much experience, but I own the scout and I ordered the PPMG in aluminium (not here yet)

I feel that the scout is a good overall slingshot, very versatile, as in you can hold it in many ways, band it up ott, ttf, use tubes, etc..

The PPMG on the other had is more specific for TTF shoothing with ergonomics for a pinch grip.

I'd say if you really like the Scout, then get the Scout in aluminium

But if you wanna try something new, go for the PPMG. It has super wide clearance in the fork so getting fork hits should be harder (tho you don't seem to have fork hits even with your scout)

It has wider fork tips as well, so it will be easier to go with wider bands. It has that "aiming dimp" too, if that's a selling point to you.

I was in your shoes when I ordered the PPMG. I already liked the scout, and I think the aluminium scout looks cool~

But in the end I chose to get the PPMG just so I can try different types of slingshots

#6 mattwalt

mattwalt

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 287 posts
  • LocationStratford Upon Avon

Posted 17 March 2017 - 03:45 AM

Alloy Scout... definitely.

#7 kpla51

kpla51
  • Registered
  • 37 posts
  • Locationfort campbell

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:03 AM

Sorry if I'm missing something here, you mentioned the PPSG in your title but the PPMG in your poll.. so which is it? I'm going to assume you mean the PPMG
And just wondering, is there any reason you're considering the PPMG in wood instead of aluminium like the scout you're considering?
I'm a noob, so I don't have to much experience, but I own the scout and I ordered the PPMG in aluminium (not here yet)
I feel that the scout is a good overall slingshot, very versatile, as in you can hold it in many ways, band it up ott, ttf, use tubes, etc..
The PPMG on the other had is more specific for TTF shoothing with ergonomics for a pinch grip.
I'd say if you really like the Scout, then get the Scout in aluminium
But if you wanna try something new, go for the PPMG. It has super wide clearance in the fork so getting fork hits should be harder (tho you don't seem to have fork hits even with your scout)
It has wider fork tips as well, so it will be easier to go with wider bands. It has that "aiming dimp" too, if that's a selling point to you.

I was in your shoes when I ordered the PPMG. I already liked the scout, and I think the aluminium scout looks cool~
But in the end I chose to get the PPMG just so I can try different types of slingshots

I couldn't change the thread title so sorry for the confusion. The only reason I chose the wood over aluminum as an option was because I love wood and they don't make a wooden scout(unless home made ). Thanks for bringing up the point that the ppmg is a pinch grip style. I have always shot with a thumb support grip.

#8 mattwalt

mattwalt

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 287 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:05 AM

What about a Axiom then? Nathan (Simple Shote / Flipping Out) does them in wood - its what the Scout is based on, I'd assume at least.

There are a few guys around doing wooden Axioms or Scouts. Especially being they are such a great all-round design.

Edited by mattwalt, 17 March 2017 - 07:10 AM.

#9 mattwalt

mattwalt

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 287 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:09 AM

http://slingshotforu...3-custom-axiom/

#10 ggustafsson

ggustafsson

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 303 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:29 AM

I got the aluminum PPMG and I'm 95% satisfied with it. How much you'll like it depends on how well it fits your hand. Rock solid and great for heavy bands.

So yeah if you want to shoot TTF then without a doubt PPMG but the Scout is a good option if you prefer thumb support and don't need heavy bands.

#11 the core

the core

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 169 posts
  • LocationM√ľnster Germany

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:38 AM

I have an aluminium PPMG, and i love it!
If you want to shoot pitch-grip choose the PPMG!
For shooting with thumb support the scout is better.
If i had to choose, i would bye the aluminium PPMG again.

#12 brucered

brucered

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,153 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:05 AM

If you just started shooting TTF, I wouldn't splurge for an Aluminum frame yet. They can take fork hits, but show them drastically.

Hone your skills on a Poly frame or better yet, make a few Baltic Birch TTF Plywood frames yourself if you have access to a few tools.

To be honest, as much as I like the thought and look of an Aluminum frame, I don't see the practical appeal.

Edited by brucered, 17 March 2017 - 08:10 AM.

#13 mattwalt

mattwalt

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 287 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:07 AM

Another option possibly - http://www.ebay.co.u...VoAAOSwMtxXsJKZ - shipping to US expect about $12, assuming he'll ship to US... 

#14 kpla51

kpla51
  • Registered
  • 37 posts
  • Locationfort campbell

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:55 AM

If you just started shooting TTF, I wouldn't splurge for an Aluminum frame yet. They can take fork hits, but show them drastically.
Hone your skills on a Poly frame or better yet, make a few Baltic Birch TTF Plywood frames yourself if you have access to a few tools.
To be honest, as much as I like the thought and look of an Aluminum frame, I don't see the practical appeal.

It's not practical at all but it's more of a cool factor than anything.

#15 kpla51

kpla51
  • Registered
  • 37 posts
  • Locationfort campbell

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:56 AM

Another option possibly - http://www.ebay.co.u...VoAAOSwMtxXsJKZ - shipping to US expect about $12, assuming he'll ship to US...

That's awesome! Thanks

#16 ShootnCoastie

ShootnCoastie

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 204 posts
  • LocationNorth East

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:06 AM

While I don't own a PPMG, I vote Aluminum Scout due to its versatility to shoot either Through The Forks or Over The Top.  Plus you have the option of the lesser expensive poly carbonate version to practice with also.

I have two Gen 1 Scouts and the Aluminum Scout.  The aluminum Scout has no sharp edges and has a smoother more comfortable feeling in the hand compared to the standard polycarbonate Scout.

I did review here: http://slingshotforu...-cast-aluminum/

Edited by ShootnCoastie, 17 March 2017 - 09:12 AM.

#17 treefork

treefork

Focus

• +Member
  • 18,499 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:35 AM

While I don't own a PPMG, I vote Aluminum Scout due to its versatility to shoot either Through The Forks or Over The Top.  Plus you have the option of the lesser expensive poly carbonate version to practice with also.

I have two Gen 1 Scouts and the Aluminum Scout.  The aluminum Scout has no sharp edges and has a smoother more comfortable feeling in the hand compared to the standard polycarbonate Scout.

I did review here: http://slingshotforu...-cast-aluminum/

The Generation One Scouts were constructed from glass filled nylon . The Generation Two are constructed from the stronger polycarbonate material .

#18 truthornothing

truthornothing

750 Post Club

• +Member
  • 928 posts
  • LocationChampaign Il, USA

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:44 AM

I have 4 Scouts, 3 Poly Carb and the Aluminum. I love them all, the flip clips make for easy band changes and versatility galore with OTT or TTF shooting. 

#19 romanljc

romanljc

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 248 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:21 PM

I think it depends on how you like to shoot, probable the scout seems more versatile.
Personally I like making my own as others have said and experimenting with what works the best for me .
But if did not want or could not make one scout seems the way to

Edited by romanljc, 17 March 2017 - 06:23 PM.

#20 PorkChopSling

PorkChopSling

3000 Post Club

• Silver Sponsor Silver Sponsor
  • 3,065 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:52 PM

The scout is more comfortable to hold for me, my ppmg has two spots on it that digs into my hand not comfortable for long shooting sessions. And the scout has slightly higher forks then the ppmg which makes it a little more forgiving for ttf shooting.

--Click to Remove Ads--