13 replies to this topic

#1 brucered

brucered

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 March 2017 - 07:24 PM

I've never felt the need for a bandsaw for home use and have gotten by with a table saw, mitre saw, scroll saw and power tools. But I'm starting go get the itch, so I can tackle some more rugged materials.

There doesn't seem to be too many that come up used locally and I'm not ready to drop thousands on one, or anywhere close to that.

Would a 10" Rikon Benchtop be able to handle Micarta, G10, 1/4" aluminum for cores?

If anyone has any other suggestions, things to look out for or stay clear from I would love to hear them.

I'm in Canada, so keep that in mind if you suggest a certain saw. We have Home Depot, Sears, Rona and Lowe's may ship but don't have one locally.

http://www.leevalley...t=1,41036,75262

https://rikontools.c...age_10-305.html

0b24e01c3ec5537ff1d92fe25ed60c31.jpg

Edited by brucered, 13 March 2017 - 07:33 PM.

#2 ryanpaul

ryanpaul

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 190 posts
  • Locationnew mexico usa

Posted 13 March 2017 - 07:43 PM

cant a scroll saw do all that???

• Tag likes this

#3 brucered

brucered

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 March 2017 - 07:59 PM

Everything I have read, seems to say no for various reasons.

It cuts through Ply, Poly and naturals with ease though.
  • Tag likes this

#4 lunasling

lunasling

Serial Forum Quitter

• Registered
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:01 PM

Yes a scroll saw can just slower !

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
  • Tag likes this

#5 brucered

brucered

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:04 PM

Hmmmm, this is interesting to know. I have resisted buying any of those materials or trying it, but maybe I should.

So go slow on the speed (mine is variable) and use a certain TPI blade?
  • Tag likes this

#6 lunasling

lunasling

Serial Forum Quitter

• Registered
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:08 PM

Hmmmm, this is interesting to know. I have resisted buying any of those materials or trying it, but maybe I should.

So go slow on the speed (mine is variable) and use a certain TPI blade?

Use I believe 18 TPI and lube with wax candle wax will work , experiment with different TPI see what works best for the material your cutting.

#7 brucered

brucered

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:12 PM

Thanks @lunasling

I'll look into that and try it out.

#8 bigdh2000

bigdh2000

500 Post Club

• Moderators Moderators
  • 536 posts
  • LocationCanton, Georgia, USA

Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:46 AM

The big difference between a scroll saw and a band saw is how quickly the blade heats up. I have cut just about everything with a scroll saw but you really have to be careful since the blades heat up quickly and break. Band saws can do it a ton faster and take a long time to heat up. When they do a shot of oil goes a lot further then on a scroll saw. Blades break no matter how good you are however I can usually get hours of use out of a band saw blade cutting metals and rarely more than half a core with a scroll saw, even using all methods of cooling and lubing. If the plan is to do a lot of cutting, I would acquire the band saw.

#9 The Gopher

The Gopher

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,620 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:59 AM

I have an old sears scroll saw and a newer really nice 14" Grizzly bandsaw and I ONLY use the scroll saw for cutting out 1/4" aluminum cores. heres why: unless you spend more on the bandsaw to get variable speed, it is too fast for cutting aluminum and you will fly through blades (not cheap). on the other hand scroll saw blades are very cheap. even if I assume i'll burn through a couple blades on each frame, we're talking less than a buck in blades. same goes for cutting G10, I only use the scroll saw (and you really burn through blades then). when cutting aluminum with the scroll saw the key is to go slow and lubricate, I continuously touch the blade with a block of paraffin. I don't even have a variable speed scroll saw which are common now and I don't have a problem with it.

I use the bandsaw a lot but almost always for resawing wood. My go to saw for cutting out frames is the scroll saw.

As Dan mentioned, if your planning on cutting out a ton of frames this could change you decision, but there is another option if that is your goal. Get them water-jet cut! If there is a specific design you are wanting a lot of and time is important to you get a dozen of them water-jet cut out for you, you won't regret it!

#10 brucered

brucered

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:14 AM

Thanks for the detail info and help everyone. It seems as if my online research was wrong and I should be able to cut some HD material with my variable speed scroll saw (an old Delta 2000).

I already have lots of blades, as I buy then when they go on sale and stockpile them.

I'd rather not buy a saw if it's not needed. It's not the cost of the saw so much as the space it would take up in my already crammed home workshop and working on my wife to allow another huge stationary tool in the house.

This is great news for me.

Edited by brucered, 14 March 2017 - 10:16 AM.

#11 Emitto

Emitto

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 683 posts
  • Locationlong gone!

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:50 AM

I have a blderunner, basically a scroll saw up side down, and it handles everything up to 1/2 inch G10 and or 3/8 aluminum, i use high TPI count blades, 

For G10, scroll saw the abrasive blades for ceramic work a treat. Just remember you have to lick it before you stick it! or something like l

that! hahahaha! (translation: use lube and go slow!)

Cheers!

#12 mattwalt

mattwalt

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 511 posts
  • LocationStratford Upon Avon

Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:25 PM

yeah exactly - what everyone said :-) 

Is what I would have said... 

#13 lunasling

lunasling

Serial Forum Quitter

• Registered
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:52 PM

I use a blade runner as well when the need arises!

#14 Grandpa Pete

Grandpa Pete

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 452 posts
  • LocationColorado USA

Posted 14 March 2017 - 06:04 PM

The blade you choose is probably more important than the bandsaw. I have a cheap one from Harbor Freight that works well if I use the right blade to match the material being cut. 

GP

--Click to Remove Ads--