6 replies to this topic

#1 Alfred E. Monkeynipples

Alfred E. Monkeynipples

Who is the I that says I Am

• +Member
  • 668 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 15 February 2017 - 07:07 PM

There are some talented people here who collectively have many neat tools and trick ways of doing things.   This thread is to encourage any who want to share some unique ideas and methods, even secrets, that might help to boost creativity among us.   I'll start -

Here's a soft jawed clothespin vice used by gunsmiths for bedding rifle barrels - great for holding a work piece firmly without marring while shaping.DSCN0301.JPG

DSCN0300.JPG

Sanding belts make good sanding blocks.   Cut a piece of hardwood to almost an interference fit.   They last a long time.

DSCN0303.JPG

DSCN0304.JPG

A miniature spoke shave can be a useful shaping tool.   www.zonatool.net

DSCN0302.JPG

DSCN0307.JPG

A coffee can of various sizes of PVC makes for an organized, accessible way to store files.

DSCN0309.JPG

A cold bent rebar hacksaw provides just the right heft and tension for UNBELIEVABLE sawing capability.   While enrolled in a welding lab one summer, I bent up 55 of these - this was the first.   A few were sold, the rest were given away.

DSCN0305.JPG

So that's a start.   I hope some of the monster talents around here will share some of their creativity, we'll all be better for it.

#2 MikmaqWarrior

MikmaqWarrior

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 794 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia

Posted 15 February 2017 - 07:15 PM

There are some talented people here who collectively have many neat tools and trick ways of doing things. This thread is to encourage any who want to share some unique ideas and methods, even secrets, that might help to boost creativity among us. I'll start -

Here's a soft jawed clothespin vice used by gunsmiths for bedding rifle barrels - great for holding a work piece firmly without marring while shaping.attachicon.gifDSCN0301.JPG
attachicon.gifDSCN0300.JPG

Sanding belts make good sanding blocks. Cut a piece of hardwood to almost an interference fit. They last a long time.
attachicon.gifDSCN0303.JPG
attachicon.gifDSCN0304.JPG

A miniature spoke shave can be a useful shaping tool. www.zonatool.net
attachicon.gifDSCN0302.JPG
attachicon.gifDSCN0307.JPG

A coffee can of various sizes of PVC makes for an organized, accessible way to store files.
attachicon.gifDSCN0309.JPG

A cold bent rebar hacksaw provides just the right heft and tension for UNBELIEVABLE sawing capability. While enrolled in a welding lab one summer, I bent up 55 of these - this was the first. A few were sold, the rest were given away.
attachicon.gifDSCN0305.JPG

So that's a start. I hope some of the monster talents around here will share some of their creativity, we'll all be better for it.

Thanks for the great ideas!!!

Sent from my B1-770 using Tapatalk

#3 oldmiser

oldmiser

OldMiser

• +Member
  • 3,422 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:37 PM

There are a lot of good ideas for you builder's....as for my self ..I like to support  the builders by buying/trading....

I am a Baker..I bake breads ..roll's ..pie's..coffee cakes........I say all the best to you members who build slingshots....

Aka Oldmiser

#4 Tag

Tag

3000 Post Club

• Silver Sponsor Silver Sponsor
  • 3,660 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:02 AM

Thanks for posting, you are correct, there is a lot of amazing talent here.

#5 wn4Studios

wn4Studios

100 Post Club

• +Member
  • 145 posts
  • LocationDeutschland

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:39 PM

Always keep a healthy stash of zip ties, electrical tape and razor blades. Can temporarily fix just about anything and or aid and assist throughout your day.

#6 Flatband

Flatband

4000+ Post Club

• Moderators Moderators
  • 4,702 posts
  • LocationNY/NJ Metro Region

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:03 PM

Here's a few more:

On your thinner cuts of rubber, fold them over at the pouch before tying so you have more insulation from the string or whatever tying material you use.

On your sheet of rubber (whatever type) look closely at the grain direction of the sheet ( holding it up to a light helps sometimes ). Cut your bands with the direction of the grain. It might help make them last a bit longer.

On your selected rubber ( especially latex ) look closely for air bubbles in the sheet. You want to avoid using a band with a bubble in it. Cut around it.

Some people prefer to cut their own pouches. For nice clean holes, always use the end grain of a piece of wood when punching holes rather then the flat side.

On an "Over the top" band set-up,before winding the latex ties around your band at the prong, run a piece around the prong first as a cushion for the band from the surface of the groove,then wind the rest around.

Bands/pouch hitting your hand after the shot is released? Usually means you're shooting two light an ammo for the bands you're using. Heavier ammo or lighter bands will help.

Hands get sweaty? sweat gets on pouch? Use a bowlers rosin bag to help keep hands and fingers dry.

There's a few tips I hope help someone.

#7 Alfred E. Monkeynipples

Alfred E. Monkeynipples

Who is the I that says I Am

• +Member
  • 668 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:20 PM

Lotta useful info there, much appreciated.

--Click to Remove Ads--