18 replies to this topic

#1 viro.venom

viro.venom
  • Registered
  • 44 posts
  • LocationAltona North

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:50 AM

b1af7eaa504e1b4cc3f594af414871a9.jpg

So late night eBay surfing lead me to find this little beauty for $13.39. Due to the extremely low cost I didn't expect much from it but ordered one anyway.

Received it today and upon close inspections I'm actually really happy with the quality. Only complaint is the finish isn't 100% smooth but that's an easy fix..

As I was just getting used to this thing I decided to break out the 6mm balls. All I can say is I'm absolutely blown away with the accuracy and comfortability. Tomorrow I'll be taking it out again and trying some different ammo sizes.

Here's the link if anyone wants!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/272509492979

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 Ibojoe

Ibojoe

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,531 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 15 February 2017 - 07:00 AM

I had one of those. A really solid little shooter.

#3 Ibojoe

Ibojoe

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,531 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 15 February 2017 - 07:04 AM

This was my first experience with top slots. A really solid little shooter. They also sell a couple of different models. They are all worth the money.

#4 viro.venom

viro.venom
  • Registered
  • 44 posts
  • LocationAltona North

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:46 AM

241ce36caca2a9a6c2c28cfa74e01f43.jpg

7 shot group today from 20yds. 6 hits and one low flyer. I'd say not too bad

#5 Bill Hays

Bill Hays

3000 Post Club

• Vendors Supporting Vendor
  • 3,174 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:21 PM

If there's one thing that can be said about the Chinese... they are certainly not shy about taking our ideas, concepts and methods... and then using them for themselves, and or to try and sell them back to us!

Already there's now curved partline, top slotted ABS slingshots... which look to be based on the mini-hunter designs using the same concepts... And it's only been about 8 months since I've shown how those molds can be made to produce such things!

It actually feels kind of strange to have influenced so many shooters and so many designers worldwide.... it kind of gives me the "heebie-jeebies" if you know what I mean!

Of course it really is kind of sad in another way though.... Here we are coming up with ideas and so forth, but because of Chinese government manipulation of currency, subsidized manufacturing costs, and subsidized mailing.... They are literally able to send us a decent to a good quality product for less than WE in the USA can even buy the raw materials or parts for.

In the end it makes it almost impossible to compete... yet because we're "bull headed" and possibly stupid... we continue anyway!

#6 honorary pie

honorary pie

not really a pie.

• Registered
  • 985 posts
  • LocationOntario Canada

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:06 PM

If there's one thing that can be said about the Chinese... they are certainly not shy about taking our ideas, concepts and methods... and then using them for themselves, and or to try and sell them back to us!

Already there's now curved partline, top slotted ABS slingshots... which look to be based on the mini-hunter designs using the same concepts... And it's only been about 8 months since I've shown how those molds can be made to produce such things!

It actually feels kind of strange to have influenced so many shooters and so many designers worldwide.... it kind of gives me the "heebie-jeebies" if you know what I mean!

Of course it really is kind of sad in another way though.... Here we are coming up with ideas and so forth, but because of Chinese government manipulation of currency, subsidized manufacturing costs, and subsidized mailing.... They are literally able to send us a decent to a good quality product for less than WE in the USA can even buy the raw materials or parts for.
In the end it makes it almost impossible to compete... yet because we're "bull headed" and possibly stupid... we continue anyway!

yep, I'm pretty certain the guy who plastic injection molded this wooden slingshot is sitting back laughing at you silly Americans and your expensive toys.. thanks be to the Good Christian Lord Jesus for good wages and clean air though right? very astute final observations.

#7 mattwalt

mattwalt

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 511 posts
  • LocationStratford Upon Avon

Posted 16 February 2017 - 02:30 PM

Could delve into the enlightening history of British manufacturing economics (Thanks to MT) - and their general approach to and acceptance of Chinese made products over UK 'local made' goods from the eighties until fairly recently... Sounds like thats more of a marketing issue to me. The question you need to be asking is why people buy your slingshots over other brands.

Edited by mattwalt, 16 February 2017 - 02:52 PM.

#8 mattwalt

mattwalt

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:00 PM

I actually looked at getting one of these - they look good. The 2 things that sort of put me off was the wood grain and how it does not support the torque - so an (probably seriously unlikely) chance of cracking. And I'm not totally sold on the band attachment method... There are a few Chinese SS that really are absolute bargains - just needing a few little tweaks (longer bands etc.) - telling those apart from ones that are blatantly dangerous can be tricky...

Caveat Emptor.

#9 viro.venom

viro.venom
  • Registered
  • 44 posts
  • LocationAltona North

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:04 PM

Well this is the first slingshot I've owned with this band attachment method. Since I got it the bands have not slipped or moved one bit and I personally think this is a very clean and neat looking way to attach bands. It's just hard to argue with "the quality" considering it's probably the slingshot I have become most accurate with in such a short time. Some people like a barked tree fork and rubber bands. Some people like Chinese plinkers and some (most) love the handmade slings like you see on this forum. Problem is, not everyone can afford to throw $300 on a slingshot that shoots just as accurate as a $13 sling. But that's just my two cents!

If you exclude that low flyer in that photo I posted is about a 2 1/2" group at 20. Proof is in the pudding gents!

Edited by viro.venom, 16 February 2017 - 04:09 PM.

#10 mattwalt

mattwalt

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:15 PM

Hey I'm with you - I can't fork out any kind of money on slingshots. I'm even struggling to get bands at the moment... I have a fab 'affordable' slingshot called the 'Dark Avenger' for around £15 (with 500 9.5mm steel bb's) - Cast aluminium (Milbro design?). Came with what looks like Daisy tubes cable tied on. After removing the zip ties and refastening - its a really nice little SS, even if it looks like you'd find it bolted to a fairground table.

Other than that mine all need to grow on trees... literally. 

http://www.ebay.co.u...roAAOSwezVW1ETg

Attached Thumbnails

• a634865171511562500.jpeg

Edited by mattwalt, 16 February 2017 - 04:25 PM.

#11 viro.venom

viro.venom
  • Registered
  • 44 posts
  • LocationAltona North

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:28 PM

That actually looks like a really nice sling for the price bud! Especially with the balls. At the moment I'm just using 6mm and 8mm due to having an abundance of them. Is it comfortable in hand?

#12 mattwalt

mattwalt

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:35 PM

Yeah - actually it is. Really awesome little sling. The little trigger grip secures it quite well. Only things I'd modify - the trigger grip could be rounded out a little / Could do with a lanyard (considering drilling and tapping base and using a rifle swivel stud) / Smoothing out the band holes slightly. 

#13 viro.venom

viro.venom
  • Registered
  • 44 posts
  • LocationAltona North

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:42 PM

You should document your process of turning a cheap sling into a good one! I'm sure plenty of people would be interested to read about it. I'm sure we aren't the only two blokes who can't afford handmades!

#14 raventree78

raventree78

Neophyte

• Registered
  • 122 posts
  • LocationFayetteville area of NC, USA

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:50 PM

If anyone is interested in trading for one of these <these being the top slot china made wooden slingshot> let me know.  I have a like new one and I would trade it for other slingshots or supplies.  If your item is of greater value I could send you some paracord items like lanards and bracelets or a slingshot made from paracord.

Attached Thumbnails

• example2.jpg
  • example.jpg
  • lanyard1.jpg
  • bntpara1.jpg

Edited by raventree78, 16 February 2017 - 11:53 PM.

#15 viro.venom

viro.venom
  • Registered
  • 44 posts
  • LocationAltona North

Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:46 AM

If anyone is interested in trading for one of these <these being the top slot china made wooden slingshot> let me know. I have a like new one and I would trade it for other slingshots or supplies. If your item is of greater value I could send you some paracord items like lanards and bracelets or a slingshot made from paracord.

What country are you in mate?

#16 raventree78

raventree78

Neophyte

• Registered
  • 122 posts
  • LocationFayetteville area of NC, USA

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:36 AM

the United States of America.

#17 THWACK!

THWACK!

Resident American humorist, magician and faux intellect

• Silver Sponsor Silver Sponsor
  • 1,507 posts
  • LocationUSA, thank you

Posted 11 March 2017 - 07:20 PM

b1af7eaa504e1b4cc3f594af414871a9.jpg

So late night eBay surfing lead me to find this little beauty for $13.39. Due to the extremely low cost I didn't expect much from it but ordered one anyway.

Received it today and upon close inspections I'm actually really happy with the quality. Only complaint is the finish isn't 100% smooth but that's an easy fix..

As I was just getting used to this thing I decided to break out the 6mm balls. All I can say is I'm absolutely blown away with the accuracy and comfortability. Tomorrow I'll be taking it out again and trying some different ammo sizes.

Here's the link if anyone wants!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/272509492979

You may not want a smoother finish because it might make the slingshot more slippery and thus less accurate to hold. If you do smooth it over and then realize you went too far, grow some hair on your fingers, which I understand is a tactic which some members, who wish to remain unnamed, have used, with various degrees of success.

Just sayin'..

THWACK!

#18 THWACK!

THWACK!

• 1,507 posts
  • LocationUSA, thank you

Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:47 PM

241ce36caca2a9a6c2c28cfa74e01f43.jpg

7 shot group today from 20yds. 6 hits and one low flyer. I'd say not too bad

What were you using for ammo? Fruitflies?

THWACK!

:wave:

#19 THWACK!

THWACK!

• 1,507 posts
  • LocationUSA, thank you

Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:51 PM

I actually looked at getting one of these - they look good. The 2 things that sort of put me off was the wood grain and how it does not support the torque - so an (probably seriously unlikely) chance of cracking. And I'm not totally sold on the band attachment method... There are a few Chinese SS that really are absolute bargains - just needing a few little tweaks (longer bands etc.) - telling those apart from ones that are blatantly dangerous can be tricky...

Caveat Emptor.

It's easy - stay away from anything Chinese except Dankung  :wave:

THWACK!

--Click to Remove Ads--