Close
--Click to Remove Ads--
Photo
- - - - -

The Future of Slingshots/Catapults

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you think the next generation will be interested? (30 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think the next generation will be interested?

1. Yes (22 votes [73.33%])

Percentage of vote: 73.33%

2. No (8 votes [26.67%])

Percentage of vote: 26.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 mattwalt

mattwalt

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 640 posts
  • LocationStratford Upon Avon

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:52 AM

Funnily - looks like the same guys who do darts are the same guys who do SS... Its also the issue with the sport in the UK I think... 

Edited by mattwalt, 28 March 2017 - 09:54 AM.

#42 Hobbit With A Slingshot

Hobbit With A Slingshot
  • Registered
  • 19 posts
  • LocationMiddle Earth

Posted 28 March 2017 - 10:09 AM

Yes - and set up a new prison colony... We'll Call it the Ye Olde Plymouth-Shire. No probably use the US bought Apaches and Chinooks... Especially as the Landrovers keep breaking down...

Are you sure you really want to use tech you bought from us against us? No matter how much you've modded it, we still know the best way to take it down... Or we could just get Boeing to issue a factory recall. (But who am I to impugn the British? Y'all have too many good authors for that.)

Edited by Hobbit With A Slingshot, 28 March 2017 - 10:29 AM.

#43 mattwalt

mattwalt

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 640 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 10:13 AM

Yes - and set up a new prison colony... We'll Call it the Ye Olde Plymouth-Shire. No probably use the US bought Apaches and Chinooks... Especially as the Landrovers keep breaking down...

Are you sure you really want to use tech you bought from us against us? No matter how much you've modded it, we still know the best way to take it down...

At least they don't break down - so we'll be just fine.

#44 Blue Raja

Blue Raja

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 127 posts
  • LocationSouthern District

Posted 28 March 2017 - 10:14 AM

Back on topic.  With all due respect to all current sling shooters and manufacturers, unless someone of Fed Bear's caliber emerges, I doubt that slingshots will survive after the current generation of shooters. 

#45 mattwalt

mattwalt

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 640 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 10:20 AM

I think it'll take more than a Bear - or a Jennings, or a Nugent for that matter. Beyond the US they're pretty much unheard of names. You need a FITA or GNAS to really get it going... As mentioned ad-nausium without an official association and a set of standardised rules - ain't going to happen. Otherwise its just a club, or a group of aficionado's... 

Maybe someone should recommend the archery associations should take it up and promote it as a sport?

#46 CornDawg

CornDawg

Batter Dipped

• Registered
  • 837 posts
  • LocationU.S.A. Pacific Northwest

Posted 28 March 2017 - 10:54 AM

Maybe the question is how to make sling shooting a feasible pub activity.  Shorten the distance, standardize the rigs, maybe come-up with a spongy projectile that will stick into soft-tipped dart boards.  Add alcohol and stir...

#47 mattwalt

mattwalt

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 640 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 11:18 AM

Maybe the question is how to make sling shooting a feasible pub activity.  Shorten the distance, standardize the rigs, maybe come-up with a spongy projectile that will stick into soft-tipped dart boards.  Add alcohol and stir...

And douse in beer...

#48 Tag

Tag

3000 Post Club

• Silver Sponsor Silver Sponsor
  • 3,660 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 28 March 2017 - 04:00 PM

http://www.wlfi.com/...-vandalism-case it's %#*^ like that s that hurts slingshots.

#49 Alfred E. Monkeynipples

Alfred E. Monkeynipples

Who is the I that says I Am

• +Member
  • 668 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 28 March 2017 - 05:22 PM

download.jpg They were shattered by ceramic balls used in sling shots and BB guns.

???   Marbles maybe but not out of a BB gun.   Please clarify inspector ...

• Tag likes this

#50 Tag

Tag

3000 Post Club

• Silver Sponsor Silver Sponsor
  • 3,660 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 28 March 2017 - 05:36 PM

Almost all were. Shot out with marbles out of a sligshot.

#51 Grandpa Pete

Grandpa Pete

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 476 posts
  • LocationColorado USA

Posted 28 March 2017 - 05:50 PM

I would like to think that the next generation or the one after that will enjoy the things I have enjoyed all my long life but, I am not sure that will be the case. Kid's seem more interested in their cell phone and computers than roaming the hills with a slingshot in their back pocket.  I do know this, for sure, if you want your grandkids to get interested , get them started at a young age.  It's not the slingshot that will get them to put down their cell phones it's the fact the you spend time with them.

GP, 

#52 brucered

brucered

Spin, spin

• Registered
  • 1,496 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:16 PM

It will cycle back for many and will always be around. Many people are going back to the old ways for various reasons.

Doing things our grandparents did for nostalgia reasons or because they had it right. Things I enjoy in this category are: cast iron cooking, charcoal BBQ & food smoking, wet shaving and turntables.

#53 Hobbit With A Slingshot

Hobbit With A Slingshot
  • Registered
  • 19 posts
  • LocationMiddle Earth

Posted 29 March 2017 - 06:31 AM

It's not the slingshot that will get them to put down their cell phones it's the fact the you spend time with them.

GP, 

Well said Gramps :)

#54 treefork

treefork

Focus

• +Member
  • 18,756 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 March 2017 - 07:48 AM

Slingshots are  amazingly simple ,effective and fun . Convince two friends or family and then they convince two others and so on and so on ......... In a short time slingshot shooting will be popular beyond belief . No matter what , I will always have this hobby .

Edited by treefork, 29 March 2017 - 07:57 AM.

#55 romanljc

romanljc

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 486 posts
  • LocationNorth East USA

Posted 29 March 2017 - 05:55 PM

Back on topic.  With all due respect to all current sling shooters and manufacturers, unless someone of Fed Bear's caliber emerges, I doubt that slingshots will survive after the current generation of shooters.

they sell them at every Wal-Mart people us them but very few seem to really get into it other then the cheep ones they sell at Wal-Mart.
Maybe the internet can change that.

#56 romanljc

romanljc

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 486 posts
  • LocationNorth East USA

Posted 29 March 2017 - 05:57 PM

it could work

--Click to Remove Ads--