Close
--Click to Remove Ads--
Photo
- - - - -

The Future of Slingshots/Catapults

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you think the next generation will be interested? (31 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think the next generation will be interested?

1. Yes (22 votes [70.97%])

Percentage of vote: 70.97%

2. No (9 votes [29.03%])

Percentage of vote: 29.03%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Flatband

Flatband

4000+ Post Club

• Moderators Moderators
  • 4,796 posts
  • LocationNY/NJ Metro Region

Posted 12 March 2017 - 02:22 PM

Nicely said Mr. Thwack. I agree with you totally. Another thing I've noticed with this next generation is their love of not doing anything physical.

I mean, when I was a kid I never was home. I was always playing football, stoop ball, stickball (The Game of the Gods!!!!-now there was a game yo!  ) , and so many other games and activities.

****, my father never called me Gary, he always called me 'Flip" cause I would come home, flip my school books on the bed and be out the door in a flash!

I would hope that slingshots were in these kids future along with other activities but I do have my doubts.

Like the man said-they have to be exposed to it. With all the present day media, they all must see them. There are more slingshot images out there then ever before.

Now it's just a matter of whether some of them get into them like us nuts!!! Here's hoping!

#22 Imperial

Imperial

HOBBYIST-SOPHOMORIC-JACKA$$

• Registered
  • 8,207 posts
  • LocationHELLPERIAL, MEXIFORNIA

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:38 AM

They won't be interested in it (or anything else for that matter), until at the very least they are EXPOSED to it.

When I joined the National Slingshooting Association as the Assistant Chief, my intention, with a nod from the Chief, was to have representatives in as many states as possible, promoting slingshooting with demonstrations and competitions. When the few reps we had saw that the Chief wasn't backing their efforts to promote safe target shooting, instead of game hunting (the bigger the better, with equipment he designed and sells, and for which he gave achievement rewards), they backed out. The Chief is a great self-promoter - he failed to do his part to promote the organization, instead promoting his products (especially for hunting, which is not a problem, but not everybody wants to or needs to hunt these days to put food on the table). I understand that he needs to promote himself to make a living, and I deeply respect that, but he didn't show us, who wanted to see a growing organization of slingshot enthusiasts, that he had our backs.  

Young folks need to see and hear about the joys of slingshooting from US individuals, because unless I've missed something (and yes, I've been away for awhile), though we might have two competitions a year in the states, the word isn't getting out that there is a battery-free, solar-powered, fresh air outdoors (and sometimes indoors) fun activity, enjoyable at any age, because we don't have an organization promoting it. Now that's really sad because, G'd knows, there's a TON of ways these days for word to get out about this great hobby, more social communication avenues than anytime in history. It needs to be tapped to spread the word and the joy.  

Sorry, no funny stuff in this message (which you've come to expect from me).

THWACK!

ive always opinioned that it should be promoted as a "target" sport. because whether you live in a city or farm, target shooting can be done in some form or another. it has to also start as a grass roots program, such as boy and girl scouts. People need to first learn how to use a slingshot and what it takes to shoot one. they need to be shown that despite their are many variations of the slingshot, there is only one thing thats constant, the shooter. have them shoot a box store slingshot, a natural, a couple or so from vendors, with tubes, flats and rubber bands and what ever else. exposure is something that we can all agree on, but its what they are getting exposed to thats the key.  

no hunting! that comes later after the individual decides on their own that they want to hunt. because, how can you hunt if you cant hit the target consistantly to begin with. 

#23 THWACK!

THWACK!

Resident American humorist, magician and faux intellect

• Silver Sponsor Silver Sponsor
  • 1,507 posts
  • LocationUSA, thank you

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:51 AM

They won't be interested in it (or anything else for that matter), until at the very least they are EXPOSED to it.

When I joined the National Slingshooting Association as the Assistant Chief, my intention, with a nod from the Chief, was to have representatives in as many states as possible, promoting slingshooting with demonstrations and competitions. When the few reps we had saw that the Chief wasn't backing their efforts to promote safe target shooting, instead of game hunting (the bigger the better, with equipment he designed and sells, and for which he gave achievement rewards), they backed out. The Chief is a great self-promoter - he failed to do his part to promote the organization, instead promoting his products (especially for hunting, which is not a problem, but not everybody wants to or needs to hunt these days to put food on the table). I understand that he needs to promote himself to make a living, and I deeply respect that, but he didn't show us, who wanted to see a growing organization of slingshot enthusiasts, that he had our backs.  

Young folks need to see and hear about the joys of slingshooting from US individuals, because unless I've missed something (and yes, I've been away for awhile), though we might have two competitions a year in the states, the word isn't getting out that there is a battery-free, solar-powered, fresh air outdoors (and sometimes indoors) fun activity, enjoyable at any age, because we don't have an organization promoting it. Now that's really sad because, G'd knows, there's a TON of ways these days for word to get out about this great hobby, more social communication avenues than anytime in history. It needs to be tapped to spread the word and the joy.  

Sorry, no funny stuff in this message (which you've come to expect from me).

THWACK!

ive always opinioned that it should be promoted as a "target" sport. because whether you live in a city or farm, target shooting can be done in some form or another. it has to also start as a grass roots program, such as boy and girl scouts. People need to first learn how to use a slingshot and what it takes to shoot one. they need to be shown that despite their are many variations of the slingshot, there is only one thing thats constant, the shooter. have them shoot a box store slingshot, a natural, a couple or so from vendors, with tubes, flats and rubber bands and what ever else. exposure is something that we can all agree on, but its what they are getting exposed to thats the key.  

no hunting! that comes later after the individual decides on their own that they want to hunt. because, how can you hunt if you cant hit the target consistantly to begin with. 

The Boy Scouts include slingshooting at major events (such as Jamborees), but they won't allow it at smaller den/pack meetings, which would make it easier for us to demonstrate the slingshot to kids in our area. Shame.

I'm in total agreement with everything that you have stated, and appreciate the time and thought for you to post it.

I have an idea for you to pursue - contact the National Shooting Sports Foundation, plead our cause, and get slingshooting endorsed along with their other shooting activities.

THWACK!

#24 Imperial

Imperial

HOBBYIST-SOPHOMORIC-JACKA$$

• Registered
  • 8,207 posts
  • LocationHELLPERIAL, MEXIFORNIA

Posted 15 March 2017 - 03:44 AM

The Boy Scouts include slingshooting at major events (such as Jamborees), but they won't allow it at smaller den/pack meetings, which would make it easier for us to demonstrate the slingshot to kids in our area. Shame.

I'm in total agreement with everything that you have stated, and appreciate the time and thought for you to post it.

I have an idea for you to pursue - contact the National Shooting Sports Foundation, plead our cause, and get slingshooting endorsed along with their other shooting activities.

THWACK!

ive also said that the chief is the wrong person to push slingshots, hes more into the hunting aspect. 

if theres target shooting with firearms and archery, then there can also be target shooting with slingshots. im not too familiar with how the competitions are done with firearms, but just how much of it can be borrowed for slingshots? or also borrowed from archery? any chance that it can be some sort of an exhibition or "demonstration" sport along sides an event of archery or firearms ?  I know the chief has done the shooting at targets in the air with paint balls, but in the end, he always seems to come back to hunting with slingshots. 

#25 mattwalt

mattwalt

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 843 posts
  • LocationStratford Upon Avon

Posted 15 March 2017 - 03:54 AM

Honestly - if I look at the UK. Its down to a strict set of target rules and a 'proper' association  to govern (There is but its early days) that would help drive the sport. It seems to be done here by a group (grossly generalising) that I'd be unimpressed if my daughter brought any of them home kind of deal. From there it would need to be actively promoted as something thats not either a toy or a hooligan's device but as a bona fide grown up sport. Obviously things are different in the US/Spain/China where there seems to be more structure. 

Obviously its up to practitioners to introduce to anyone interested.

#26 Sinnbad11

Sinnbad11

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 133 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 16 March 2017 - 11:32 PM

I certainly hope interest is maintained, or, even better, increased. If slingshot shooting declines this may become a mighty lonely sport for a young guy like me.

#27 twang

twang

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 306 posts
  • Locationgreat britain

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:55 PM

The last legal thing you can shoot that doesn't require a license (I know that's not true, but still).

Jim Harris sets up a sling shooting booth at an outdoor event called Whistler's Day here in Kentucky every year.  I had the pleasure of helping Jim and MJ work it last year.  Amazing watching the kids who'd never shot before. 

Jim also worked very hard to get slings legalized for hunting here in KY, so there might be even more opportunities to get the word out. 

Now just wishing we could get Ghost up here to show folks how it's done.  ;-)  :target:

in australia , there are places where it is totaly banned....

#28 brucered

brucered

Spin, spin

• Registered
  • 1,689 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:31 PM

Our 10y old asked me today...."Daddy, can I make a slingshot with you?".

He's probably one of two kids in his entire school who knows what one is...the other being our other son. He also knows how to drop the needle on our turntable and change sides on a record properly.

Teach them young.

#29 mattwalt

mattwalt

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 843 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:34 PM

It was my daughter also 10 who asked if I'd make her one - and show her how to use it. At that stage I'd not so much as looked at one in a shop for years (al least since she was 3)... Got me back on. 

#30 CatapultCrazy

CatapultCrazy
  • Registered
  • 25 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 25 March 2017 - 01:00 AM

Such a big response on this one! Cheers Guys!

#31 Tex-Shooter

Tex-Shooter

4000+ Post Club

• Vendors Supporting Vendor
  • 4,208 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:41 AM

For slingshot shooting to be really big, like baseball, football, and etc., there must be rules and places for the sport. And there must be ways to attract large numbers of spectators. Slingshot shooters today tend to go there own way, shoot all kinds of different devices and all kinds of ways. That just may be the way that most of us like it as it lets everybody in the game and not just a few elite! -- Cheers 

#32 CornDawg

CornDawg

Batter Dipped

• Moderators Moderators
  • 914 posts
  • LocationU.S.A. Pacific Northwest

Posted 28 March 2017 - 08:03 AM

Trying to envision a "launch" event I see 4 necessaries:  A team, a rivalry, a wager, and a grudge match...

For instance, I'd be willing to bet a sawbuck that the five man team fielded by the United States (Nathan, Bill, Rayshot, Treefork, & MJ) would prevail in most any international competition.  They'd probably start by wiping the floor with the Canadians and Spaniards, then a quick snack before pummelling Italy and humiliating the Brits.  China will be a test, before Treefork starts the targets a swinging in the sudden-death shootout...  America- the world's only superpower for a reason!  

All over but the crying really.   :)

#33 CornDawg

CornDawg

Batter Dipped

• Moderators Moderators
  • 914 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 08:44 AM

a gauntlet thrown, waits

motionless, aghast, witnessed

poor lonely gauntlet   

#34 mattwalt

mattwalt

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 843 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:05 AM

SLAP! Gauntlet is thrown right back at you... 

Sure the UK guys would be some good competition to you Indignant Capitalist and stupidly brave US (erm sorry thats the little red book...)!!! Ha-hah - Bring it on!

Where's GKJ and crew?

Edited by mattwalt, 28 March 2017 - 09:05 AM.

#35 CornDawg

CornDawg

Batter Dipped

• Moderators Moderators
  • 914 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:12 AM

Matthew, Matthew, Matthew...

The Five Pouchmen, under the leadership of Captain CornDawg, will vanquish the exceptionally well-behaved Englishman in little more time than it takes to fend off the French.  What does that tell you?

#36 mattwalt

mattwalt

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 843 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:16 AM

Stiff upper lips and tea will overcome all odds. We'll meet you on the beaches old chum - Right after elevenses? Slingshots at Midday (If its raining its off! Bad luck and all that)

#37 mattwalt

mattwalt

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 843 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:25 AM

Corndog - Lest you forget the Battle of Agincourt... Its a dogged little damp rock - but you aint 'aving it!

Boys! Milbro's to the READY! By the RIGHT quick Draw!

Edited by mattwalt, 28 March 2017 - 09:27 AM.

#38 CornDawg

CornDawg

Batter Dipped

• Moderators Moderators
  • 914 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:34 AM

I actually have a friend named Revere.  His first name isn't Paul and he has no horse, but he's a fair hand on a dirt bike...

You gonna come over in your little sailboats again?   :)

#39 mattwalt

mattwalt

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 843 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:41 AM

Yes - and set up a new prison colony... We'll Call it the Ye Olde Plymouth-Shire. No probably use the US bought Apaches and Chinooks... Especially as the Landrovers keep breaking down...

Edited by mattwalt, 28 March 2017 - 09:42 AM.

#40 CornDawg

CornDawg

Batter Dipped

• Moderators Moderators
  • 914 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:47 AM

In all fairness, what slingshooting needs is some of the enthusiasm displayed by the crowds at your darts championships...

Raucous, into it, heroes to cheer...   All good stuff.

--Click to Remove Ads--