Close
--Click to Remove Ads--
Photo
- - - - -

The Future of Slingshots/Catapults

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you think the next generation will be interested? (22 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think the next generation will be interested?

1. Yes (15 votes [68.18%])

Percentage of vote: 68.18%

2. No (7 votes [31.82%])

Percentage of vote: 31.82%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 CatapultCrazy

CatapultCrazy
  • Registered
  • 24 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:46 AM

What do you think the future of Slingshots/Catapults will be? Will the next generation be interested?
  • Tag likes this

#2 CornDawg

CornDawg

Batter Dipped

• +Member
  • 738 posts
  • LocationU.S.A. Pacific Northwest

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:48 AM

Riker maybe, but not Picard.  

#3 CatapultCrazy

CatapultCrazy
  • Registered
  • 24 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:50 AM

Riker maybe, but not Picard.

Very Funny :)

(No sarcasm intended)

Edited by CatapultCrazy, 01 February 2017 - 08:55 AM.

• Tag likes this

#4 CornDawg

CornDawg

Batter Dipped

• +Member
  • 738 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:18 AM

Aww, sure they'll be interested.  Folks like us will see to it.  Slingshooting fulfills a very basic need as I see it.  It's a relatively inexpensive way to propel an object at high speed towards a target.  Hitting targets at distance is a potent endorphin mobilizer in humans.  Add opposable thumbs to that instinctive motivation and we become the most dangerous critters- ever.

Maybe you're asking if the lure of tech will continue to erode the physical capabilities of our young people.  Perhaps for a time...

But the feeling of zapping a can with a slingshot can't be duplicated by a video game.  Not yet anyway-

#5 Phoul Mouth

Phoul Mouth

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 825 posts
  • Location9th Circle of Hades, also known as Massachusetts.

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:35 AM

I have made a bunch of crappy little shooters out of dollar store HDPE cutting boards and most have been given away to neighborhood kids, friends kids, and relatives kids.  I have also given most of them baggies full of my Sterling 117b filebands and showed them how to attach them.  I am sure the next generation will be fine.

#6 Fiveshooter

Fiveshooter
  • Registered
  • 96 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 February 2017 - 10:28 AM

I don't think there will be a "next generation" of any significance. There will be new materials and new designs of course. Some of the new materials fit very well with established designs. There will be radical things coming out of China aimed at the US market in general. Many will be bought but I expect none will actually replace the more traditional designs we are currently accustom to.

As far as interesting to see the new and often radical stuff... yeah it's interesting. Unfortunately most of the "new" radical things we are seeing won't exactly fit in your pocket and regardless of all the added sighting stuff, lasers, rollers, springs and such they put on them, none are a replacement for simply practicing with what you already have. None can instantly give you good form or repeatable accuracy without you putting in practice time. Just my spin on it.

There are many (I'm not one of them) that can take a simple natural tree fork, put almost no effort into finishing it, attach bands and pouch and put many folks using expensive custom slingshots to shame with it. You have all heard it before. It's the shooter and not so much the slingshot.

Edited by Fiveshooter, 01 February 2017 - 10:34 AM.

#7 Fiveshooter

Fiveshooter
  • Registered
  • 96 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 February 2017 - 10:30 AM

Aww, sure they'll be interested.  Folks like us will see to it.  Slingshooting fulfills a very basic need as I see it.  It's a relatively inexpensive way to propel an object at high speed towards a target.  Hitting targets at distance is a potent endorphin mobilizer in humans.  Add opposable thumbs to that instinctive motivation and we become the most dangerous critters- ever.

Maybe you're asking if the lure of tech will continue to erode the physical capabilities of our young people.  Perhaps for a time...

But the feeling of zapping a can with a slingshot can't be duplicated by a video game.  Not yet anyway-

Well said!!!

#8 Toolshed

Toolshed

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 519 posts
  • LocationIndependence, KY

Posted 01 February 2017 - 10:57 AM

The last legal thing you can shoot that doesn't require a license (I know that's not true, but still).

Jim Harris sets up a sling shooting booth at an outdoor event called Whistler's Day here in Kentucky every year.  I had the pleasure of helping Jim and MJ work it last year.  Amazing watching the kids who'd never shot before. 

Jim also worked very hard to get slings legalized for hunting here in KY, so there might be even more opportunities to get the word out. 

Now just wishing we could get Ghost up here to show folks how it's done.  ;-)  :target:

#9 mattwalt

mattwalt

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 287 posts
  • LocationStratford Upon Avon

Posted 01 February 2017 - 01:12 PM

Think its about the simplest shooting-type device (and you can DIY one together so easily - veggie peeler and office bands) - so will always have a following.  I do think that the hand-crafted side may take a hit - but will always be loads of companies to fill that hole with mass production. 

• Tag likes this

#10 muffintop

muffintop
  • Registered
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe New Mexico

Posted 01 February 2017 - 04:51 PM

I gave my boss's nephew a Dead Ringer (single braid 64s that were not tied at the pouch so he could change them himself) from Simple Shot at my work Christmas party. We have a lifer in that guy.

• Tag likes this

#11 Tag

Tag

3000 Post Club

• Silver Sponsor Silver Sponsor
  • 3,493 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:01 AM

Thanks for sharing about Jim, mj, and yourself at whistlers day. Personally I think now is the best time to introduce slingshots to young and old alike. In today's society there are so many young people basically raising themselves. The simplicity of slingshots is a great way to build a bond between yourself and young people. It's not just the slingshot, it's the time spent with our youth today. A friend of mine belongs to an archery club that puts on youth shoot every Sat. It cost $5.00, which pays for use of the bow and arrows, a hot dog, chips and a can of pop. Even if the kid doesn't like shooting, the all enjoy the companionship. Kentucky has one of the most productive elementary and high school bow shooting programs in the nation. My hats off to those who contribute to such an awesome program. To me the most important thing you can give to our younger people is our time. Sorry I got side tracked, yes I think slingshots will grow big time. No doubt in my mind, with the most awesome people I have ever met, it will grow.

#12 CornDawg

CornDawg

Batter Dipped

• +Member
  • 738 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:19 PM

Well put Tag, and so true.  Sling shooting, in and of itself, can be a tough sell to the uninitiated.  Competition from electronic fantasy is fierce, and the propensity to stare into a screen- as your primary method of connection, communication, entertainment, and exercise, is as dangerous as it is shallow.  No video game, not even Call of Duty Ghosts- on veteran, could ever compare to having a catch with my dad, shooting hoop with my brother, or experiencing my first potato gun mishap with close friends. My hope is that there will always be plenty of us around to cultivate the simple things, from slingshots to yo-yos, boomerangs to hula hoops, before we have them forced upon us by EMP, solar storm, or any of the myriad grid-down causes that threaten a highly vulnerable system.

My personal rebirth in this hobby has seen it reunite a neighborhood-  not bad for a forked stick and some rubber bands.

• Tag likes this

#13 Tag

Tag

3000 Post Club

• 3,493 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:59 PM

Can only imagine what kind of incident you had with a potato gun!!!! Lol

#14 Clang!

Clang!
  • Registered
  • 38 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 February 2017 - 05:58 PM

I'd say it's about due time for slingshots to do what traditional archery did a couple of years ago.  It was, for the longest time, the near exclusive province of shooters over fifty.  Then, there was an influx of late teens and early 20's enamored with the "romance" of it, and the introduction of low cost tackle (Samick and Ragim).  The Hunger Games franchise fueled a second wave of new shooters.

Flips are already cheap, especially when compared to $300 game consoles or $.40 per cartridge ammunition.  But, the cultural trigger (a Bear Grylls signature slingshot, Dennis the Menace movie, etc. hasn't happened yet).  As it stands, the only market really open to expand into is the "tacticool" folks.

• Tag likes this

#15 namazu

namazu

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 382 posts
  • Locationarizona

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:49 PM

cant wait for a grand son im going spoil him with slingshots . if its a girl ill buy her a barbie.

#16 THWACK!

THWACK!

Resident American humorist, magician and faux intellect

• 1,479 posts
  • LocationUSA, thank you

Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:08 PM

They won't be interested in it (or anything else for that matter), until at the very least they are EXPOSED to it.

When I joined the National Slingshooting Association as the Assistant Chief, my intention, with a nod from the Chief, was to have representatives in as many states as possible, promoting slingshooting with demonstrations and competitions. When the few reps we had saw that the Chief wasn't backing their efforts to promote safe target shooting, instead of game hunting (the bigger the better, with equipment he designed and sells, and for which he gave achievement rewards), they backed out. The Chief is a great self-promoter - he failed to do his part to promote the organization, instead promoting his products (especially for hunting, which is not a problem, but not everybody wants to or needs to hunt these days to put food on the table). I understand that he needs to promote himself to make a living, and I deeply respect that, but he didn't show us, who wanted to see a growing organization of slingshot enthusiasts, that he had our backs.  

Young folks need to see and hear about the joys of slingshooting from US individuals, because unless I've missed something (and yes, I've been away for awhile), though we might have two competitions a year in the states, the word isn't getting out that there is a battery-free, solar-powered, fresh air outdoors (and sometimes indoors) fun activity, enjoyable at any age, because we don't have an organization promoting it. Now that's really sad because, G'd knows, there's a TON of ways these days for word to get out about this great hobby, more social communication avenues than anytime in history. It needs to be tapped to spread the word and the joy.  

Sorry, no funny stuff in this message (which you've come to expect from me).

THWACK!

#17 THWACK!

THWACK!

• 1,479 posts
  • LocationUSA, thank you

Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:10 PM

cant wait for a grand son im going spoil him with slingshots . if its a girl ill buy her a barbie.

...and a slingshot...

• Tag likes this

#18 THWACK!

THWACK!

• 1,479 posts
  • LocationUSA, thank you

Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:12 PM

"Folks like us will see to it".

How?   One at a time?  Not enough!

• Tag likes this

#19 THWACK!

THWACK!

• 1,479 posts
  • LocationUSA, thank you

Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:14 PM

I have made a bunch of crappy little shooters out of dollar store HDPE cutting boards and most have been given away to neighborhood kids, friends kids, and relatives kids.  I have also given most of them baggies full of my Sterling 117b filebands and showed them how to attach them.  I am sure the next generation will be fine.

A few hundred/thousand like you, and possibly there'll be a future for slingshooting.

• Tag likes this

#20 THWACK!

THWACK!

• 1,479 posts
  • LocationUSA, thank you

Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:28 PM

I'd say it's about due time for slingshots to do what traditional archery did a couple of years ago.  It was, for the longest time, the near exclusive province of shooters over fifty.  Then, there was an influx of late teens and early 20's enamored with the "romance" of it, and the introduction of low cost tackle (Samick and Ragim).  The Hunger Games franchise fueled a second wave of new shooters.

Flips are already cheap, especially when compared to $300 game consoles or $.40 per cartridge ammunition.  But, the cultural trigger (a Bear Grylls signature slingshot, Dennis the Menace movie, etc. hasn't happened yet).  As it stands, the only market really open to expand into is the "tacticool" folks.

Ditto. (To a Clang! from a THWACK!)

I belong to an archery club (where I've had a couple of slingshooting events), and I'm aware that when a member of the club/archery supply vendor, was in business at the time of Game of Thrones, he made a mint with the Samick's and Ragim's.

But after a while, business slowed down and he couldn't renegotiate a loan with the bank for his business, so he closed shop and moved way out west to Montana. We're left with the likes of Lancaster Archery and Three Rivers (for us traditionalists) and Gander Mountain and BassProShops for the compound bow shooters. 

So yes, there needs to be some impetus, in one popular fashion or another, to ignite the slingshooting spark for the next generation.

• Tag likes this

--Click to Remove Ads--