31 replies to this topic

#1 Wildrat

Wildrat
  • Registered
  • 18 posts
  • LocationMobile, Alabama

Posted 26 January 2017 - 04:27 PM

Hi, name is Mark.

I live in Mobile, Alabama near Dog River bridge for those around here.

I have not shot a slingshot since I was about 11-12 yo. I am 59 now.

I was pretty good back then. I could hit my brother running, and then get my father dealt with me. No more shooting at brothers.

I have been wanting to add a slingshot to my arsenal for awhile but being on disability there is not a lot of money to spend on a slingshot.

I finally purchased a Scout, and got it today.

I am hoping there is a club or group or something in the area so I can get some hands on training. I have been watching videos but I find that I pick up things faster seeing and doing in real life.

I have the Scout set up right now TTF style. I don't know a whole lot about using a slingshot. I will have questions. Please remember I am a novice and not familiar with all the idiosyncrasies of slingshots.

Thanks in advance!

Any advice will be appreciated.

Mark

#2 Flatband

Flatband

4000+ Post Club

• Moderators Moderators
  • 4,549 posts
  • LocationNY/NJ Metro Region

Posted 26 January 2017 - 04:49 PM

Hi Mark and welcome aboard Bud! Ton of info on here and also a ton of great people too! Have fun!

#3 Wildrat

Wildrat
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 07:23 PM

Thanks Man! I haven't had a chance to look over the site yet. I have been worrying with a bicycle seat that I got today wondering if it's counterfeit. I can't call about it till tomorrow though. LOL

It's odd they ship the Scout with black bands. I have some Theragold band though so I figure I will practice with the black bands and when I can hit the side of a barn, I'll make up a couple sets of gold bands.

#4 Flatband

Flatband

4000+ Post Club

• Moderators Moderators
  • 4,549 posts
  • LocationNY/NJ Metro Region

Posted 26 January 2017 - 08:18 PM

Give those black bands some time. I find the more you use them the better they are!

#5 treefork

treefork

Send It

• +Member
  • 18,318 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:23 PM

Welcome to the forum Mark .

#6 StretchandEat

StretchandEat

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,224 posts
  • LocationMississippi USA

Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:55 PM

Welcome from Pascagoula MS.. I work in Mobile at austal usa..there isn't any people on this forum real close to you besides me.. Glad to see a fellow slinger in driving distance

#7 Ibojoe

Ibojoe

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 27 January 2017 - 05:13 AM

Welcome to the forum Mark! You are starting out with a great set up. Those black bands are some of the longest lasting ones I've ever used. Enjoy!!

#8 Wildrat

Wildrat
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 06:05 AM

Give those black bands some time. I find the more you use them the better they are!

I am, I will use them till I become proficient. With the weather we have been having it could be awhile. My yard is is a bog.

Welcome to the forum Mark .

Thaks Treefork!

Welcome from Pascagoula MS.. I work in Mobile at austal usa..there isn't any people on this forum real close to you besides me.. Glad to see a fellow slinger in driving distance

Thanks Man, my brother works at Austal also, does electrical.

Welcome to the forum Mark! You are starting out with a great set up. Those black bands are some of the longest lasting ones I've ever used. Enjoy!!

Thanks man, Yep, I've got two sets of the black. I ordered an extra set with the clips. I have the Theraband Gold waiting to be made into bands. Yeah, I got the rotary cutter, I should have gotten the cutter years ago. It makes things easy.

#9 Wildrat

Wildrat
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 06:06 AM

Did y'all make a jig for tying your bands onto the patch?

#10 StretchandEat

StretchandEat

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 11:16 AM

yes sir.. makes things so much easier.. I just went with a wooden one and 2 pony clamps I bought at harbor freight.. used the ones the sell at simpleshot as a guide

#11 Wildrat

Wildrat
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 02:00 PM

yes sir.. makes things so much easier.. I just went with a wooden one and 2 pony clamps I bought at harbor freight.. used the ones the sell at simpleshot as a guide

I did a search for the band measurements and pouches in varying word configurations and I could find nothing using search to answer the following questions. Also forgive if I dis not use proper slingshot terminology.

I just ordered a couple small vises for my jig. I started making some bands but the only videos I could find were in metric.

I took some measurements off of my Scout bands and as near as I can tell they are 7/8 x 5/8 x 10 inches. The pouch is 3 inches x I forget. LOL

Does this sound about right. I am shooting 3/8 steel. What size should the centering hole be? I also read to have the band holes 1/4 inch from the ends and what size hole should I punch for double banded Theraband Gold?

I hope this is decipherable.

#12 StretchandEat

StretchandEat

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 02:57 PM

I usually just buy my pouches from simpleshot..usally the top grain leather.. at 75 cents a peice and being able to use them for multiple bandsets to me it's not worth making my own.. I also like the kangaroo skin ones and almost everyone loves the sure shot ones.. Unless you just want to make them to make them..

#13 Wildrat

Wildrat
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 03:31 PM

I usually just buy my pouches from simpleshot..usally the top grain leather.. at 75 cents a peice and being able to use them for multiple bandsets to me it's not worth making my own.. I also like the kangaroo skin ones and almost everyone loves the sure shot ones.. Unless you just want to make them to make them..

When I looked at simple shot it said they were 2 dollars each. I'll look again.

I think I am just going to make my bands straight also till I become a professional slingshot connoisseur and crack shot. LOL

#14 StretchandEat

StretchandEat

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 04:01 PM

The kangaroo are like 2 bucks... I think but the top grain cow hide.. which I assume came with your black bands are .75.. Unless you catch them on sale.. which happens alot.. and I also usually cut mine straight.. tapered are faster and easier to pull but don't last quite as long

Edited by StretchandEat, 27 January 2017 - 04:03 PM.

#15 Wildrat

Wildrat
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 04:11 PM

The kangaroo are like 2 bucks... I think but the top grain cow hide.. which I assume came with your black bands are .75.. Unless you catch them on sale.. which happens alot.. and I also usually cut mine straight.. tapered are faster and easier to pull but don't last quite as long

I was just getting ready to goto Simpleshot. I got an email from them. This weather is depressing. I need sun and heat.

#16 Wildrat

Wildrat
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 04:28 PM

I ordered some 75 cent ones from Simpleshot. I should have enough for awhile.

#17 Wildrat

Wildrat
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 08:59 AM

Haven't been able to do much the last couple weeks. My back is failing again. I am only doing things that are absolutely necessary, i.e. feeding dogs, chickens, and me. LOL. I did receive my patches, I ordered the wrong ones, I wanted the wider ones but I ordered narrow for some reason. I received a couple small vises which I will use for tying the band onto the patch.

oh well that's about it for now, and likely for awhile.

#18 CornDawg

CornDawg

The Stilted Yummy

• +Member
  • 694 posts
  • LocationU.S.A. Pacific Northwest

Posted 12 February 2017 - 09:12 AM

Not caring for that prognosis Mark, kinda bleak...

So what can we do about the back?  Have you tried inversion?

#19 Wildrat

Wildrat
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 09:46 AM

At this point inversion would likely destroy me. I'm reasonably sure one or two of the disk above the last fusion have let go. It will take a MRI to tell me that though. I hope not because it would likely severely curtail or end my favorite hobby of road cycling.

20150702_082828.JPG

20150702_083344.JPG

#20 CornDawg

CornDawg

The Stilted Yummy

• +Member
  • 694 posts
  • LocationU.S.A. Pacific Northwest

Posted 12 February 2017 - 10:03 AM

Well, I'd hate to see it make you give up on sling shooting.  Especially since it looks like they used an old wire-frame model to repair your back.

post-25298-0-56762700-1486914183_thumb.j

I see those kinds of things as omens...

Does sling shooting aggravate your condition as much as cycling?

--Click to Remove Ads--