12 replies to this topic

#1 mattwalt

mattwalt
  • Registered
  • 21 posts
  • LocationStratford Upon Avon

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:46 PM

Hi - joined a few days ago. 

Recently I had my 11 year old daughter ask me if I could teach her to shoot a catty... 

I grew up in South Africa and after moving to a small agricultural town (1986-1991) started making and shooting bent wire frames (only very similar to the oriental style ) powering little u bent wire projectiles on looped rubber bands. Always a good day - ending up with a smile and bloodied knuckles from the odd projectile getting caught in the bands.

First 'real' catty's were natural's using acacia or apricot - using an African rubber attachment approach (bands to the draw side of the frame) using a black square elastic (Haasrek) when pocket money was available (very rarely) - but inner tubes as a substitution. I also designed and had my dad cold work a 6mm steel rod into a wrist brace design which I used for a long time (this and one of the apricot forks I believe are gathering dust in my parents garage)... Almost all my free time involved shooting and hunting.

We moved back to 'civilisation' and commitments took over...

But its back and I'm looking forward to rekindling an old passion :-)

#2 Viper010

Viper010

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:53 PM

Welcome!
  • Tag likes this

#3 Flatband

Flatband

4000+ Post Club

• Moderators Moderators
  • 4,491 posts
  • LocationNY/NJ Metro Region

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:15 PM

Welcome Matt! I have an original "Kettie" from South Africa given to me by a native African. It has square bands like you said on the shooters side of the frame, tied with string about 3 inches from the top of the fork to the base. Those bands will never come loose. The pouch was a weaved cotton creation hand sewn by him-beautiful. Have fun on the forum. Lot of info on here!

#4 Jonny Mac

Jonny Mac
  • 20 posts
  • LocationBonnie Scotland

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:32 PM

Hi Matt. I remember tying strips of old inner tube to my milbro frame as a kid. Never could hit a **** thing with it though except my thumb  :blink:  Was enough to put me off cattys for a long time. In fact until I found all these slingers showing their skillz on youtube.

#5 treefork

treefork

See the target

• +Member
  • 18,239 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:02 PM

Welcome .

• Tag likes this

#6 slingshotnew

slingshotnew

1000 Post Club

• +Member
  • 1,590 posts
  • LocationItalia

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:33 AM

Welcome!

• Tag likes this

#7 namepa

namepa
  • Registered
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:38 AM

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the welcome on my thread earlier and same to you.  

I also had my first kettie round about 1987 (age 11).  Got it from an guest house owner in St Lucia while there with my dad.  He was the "Dopper dominee" (pastor of a church, commonly referred to as Doppers) of the whole of Zululand.  Also pretty rural back then.  I simple deconstruct that slingshot when it finally broke down and my first few DIY slingshots were basic copies of that first one.  Slowly I found out what works for me with the materials I had around and up to about 1992 or 1993 shot slingshot daily. Never did any hunting or shooting at birds, though. And never could get "haasrek".

My favourite slingshot back then came from a bottlebrush tree.  As it happens, I lost that slingshot while on holiday in the same town where I got the first one.

Welcome again!

#8 Tag

Tag

3000 Post Club

• Silver Sponsor Silver Sponsor
  • 3,350 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:00 PM

Welcome

#9 mattwalt

mattwalt
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 02:28 PM

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the welcome on my thread earlier and same to you.  

I also had my first kettie round about 1987 (age 11).  Got it from an guest house owner in St Lucia while there with my dad.  He was the "Dopper dominee" (pastor of a church, commonly referred to as Doppers) of the whole of Zululand.  Also pretty rural back then.  I simple deconstruct that slingshot when it finally broke down and my first few DIY slingshots were basic copies of that first one.  Slowly I found out what works for me with the materials I had around and up to about 1992 or 1993 shot slingshot daily. Never did any hunting or shooting at birds, though. And never could get "haasrek".

My favourite slingshot back then came from a bottlebrush tree.  As it happens, I lost that slingshot while on holiday in the same town where I got the first one.

Welcome again!

Hey Namepa - where in KZN are you? My first girlfriend was a Dopper Doominee 's daughter... very naughty :-) . Sounds very much the same background really. I was running around the Karoo at that time.

#10 namepa

namepa
  • Registered
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:26 PM

Grew up in Empangeni (North Coast). From there to Tuks for 8 years and 0 degree (95 to 2002). Then find a job and have been round Gauteng since but for a brief stint in Bloemfontein. Wonder how many other guys on here has some connection to South Africa.

#11 mattwalt

mattwalt
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:44 AM

Grew up in Empangeni (North Coast). From there to Tuks for 8 years and 0 degree (95 to 2002). Then find a job and have been round Gauteng since but for a brief stint in Bloemfontein. Wonder how many other guys on here has some connection to South Africa.

My wife's  family come from R bay. 

#12 Larry Bourgeois

Larry Bourgeois

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 108 posts
  • LocationOttawa,Ontario

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:58 AM

Welcome Matt. Nice to see you getting back into slingshot shooting. :) lb

#13 NaturalFork

NaturalFork

No other shooting sport compares.