6 replies to this topic

#1 Tex-Shooter

Tex-Shooter

4000+ Post Club

• Vendors Supporting Vendor
  • 4,206 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:38 AM

Texas Charlie Anderson was a famous West Texas Flip shooter. His favorite ammo was very large nuts and trim pieces of sucker rod. His favorite game was Jack Rabbits which he collected a bounty for. It was not unusable for him to kill 3 or 4 a day. His slingshot was made from a 3/8 brass braising rod and sported very heavy pulling tubes. We were slingshot buddies and when Charlie got too sick to shoot, he gave me his slingshot which was in bad shape. I reconditioned it and was proud to add it to my collection. I replaced the rubbed in like kind to what he had on it, but left his pouch set up. I have shot and it must pull about 40 pounds. Charlie was a very good instinctive flip shooter and had the fastest release that I have ever saw! His hands just went two directions and the shot was gone! – Cheers, Tex

Attached Thumbnails

• 14 Charlies Frame.JPG

#2 treefork

treefork

Focus

• +Member
  • 18,753 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:57 AM

I imagine using a 40 pound draw motivates one to learn a fast release .  :)

#3 The Gopher

The Gopher

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,628 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:04 PM

that's neat. The pouch is unique, looks like short pieces of cord between the pouch and the band?

#4 Tex-Shooter

Tex-Shooter

4000+ Post Club

• 4,206 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:48 PM

that's neat. The pouch is unique, looks like short pieces of cord between the pouch and the band?

Yes and the bands are just tied with a loop so if they break, they can be retied quickly in the field as mentioned in a post above!

#5 StretchandEat

StretchandEat

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,225 posts
  • LocationMississippi USA

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:34 PM

I've tried that attachment before and it wasn't for me.. I wish it was because you can fix a broken band and only lose a couple of mm.. it was listed on google as Rabbit Charlies pouch attachment.. I'm assuming it's the same guy?

#6 Ibojoe

Ibojoe

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,704 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:18 PM

That is such a cool history. Too bad we all must get old. It's a great thing you did restoring his flip. Sounds like he is a good friend. Thanks for sharing.

#7 Tex-Shooter

Tex-Shooter

4000+ Post Club

• 4,206 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:05 PM

I don't know who posted it on Google, but I don't think that Charlie started it as that attachment as been a Texas tradition since the early days of Texas slingshots.

--Click to Remove Ads--