24 replies to this topic

#21 roirizla

roirizla

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 290 posts
  • LocationBerkshire

Posted 15 January 2017 - 02:56 PM

Would you believe my first school ever was Laerskool Voorslag(vel)? I hear you on the commute. Used to do triage between Krugersdorp, Sammy marx square and Braamfontein, studies, work & home but not in that order :)

So, you're in good company & a country with loads of shooting options especially when you are so close to the river.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

#22 namepa

namepa
  • 14 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:58 PM

Yes. Kids in Eligwa...used to be Voorslag! Stripped bark on a few forks the last few days. Two was thin ones from unknown tree. They will be good for slingshot as I use to make them. Longer prongs with light weight bands. Then another thin one from acacia karoo. Very please with how the fork looks after bark came off. Going to try heavier band setup on that one. Witstinkhout fork is bulkier and I will make that into a slingshot with stubbier prongs like most I have seen here. Last one was I really bulky peach fork. With nice grain and colouration ... Obviously I hurried and it is all cracked this morning.

#23 mattwalt

mattwalt
  • Registered
  • 21 posts
  • LocationStratford Upon Avon

Posted 16 January 2017 - 05:10 AM

Let the wood dry out completely. Once its properly dried out you can use ground spices (or herbs) mixed with superglue to fill in the cracks. Spices are great as they are clean wood powder really and come in a range of colours so you can match the wood. Ginger may work well for the acacia etc. Run some glue in the crack and pack some spice (before the glue sets) then add more glue and let it soak in (you'll see when its mixing) then more spice and so on till it builds up and fills the crack. Once filled let it rest for a day or so before sanding. 

#24 mattwalt

mattwalt
  • Registered
  • 21 posts
  • LocationStratford Upon Avon

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:15 AM

Regarding seasoning of wood - can be sped up in the microwave (but you need to be very careful - there are some tips around online). But whats probably best is sealed brown paper bags (McDonalds carriers etc.) - I prefer removing the bark first (generally) then seal the ends (left cut long) and allow to dry out over a year in the garage...

#25 namepa

namepa
  • 14 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:40 PM

Thanks for the tips. Have not thrown that peach fork out yet so will hang on and try to salvage when completely dry. Even if it is only to try the method.

--Click to Remove Ads--