35 replies to this topic

#21 roirizla

roirizla

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 294 posts
  • LocationBerkshire

Posted 15 January 2017 - 02:56 PM

Would you believe my first school ever was Laerskool Voorslag(vel)? I hear you on the commute. Used to do triage between Krugersdorp, Sammy marx square and Braamfontein, studies, work & home but not in that order :)

So, you're in good company & a country with loads of shooting options especially when you are so close to the river.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

#22 namepa

namepa
  • Registered
  • 51 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:58 PM

Yes. Kids in Eligwa...used to be Voorslag! Stripped bark on a few forks the last few days. Two was thin ones from unknown tree. They will be good for slingshot as I use to make them. Longer prongs with light weight bands. Then another thin one from acacia karoo. Very please with how the fork looks after bark came off. Going to try heavier band setup on that one. Witstinkhout fork is bulkier and I will make that into a slingshot with stubbier prongs like most I have seen here. Last one was I really bulky peach fork. With nice grain and colouration ... Obviously I hurried and it is all cracked this morning.

#23 mattwalt

mattwalt

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 313 posts
  • LocationStratford Upon Avon

Posted 16 January 2017 - 05:10 AM

Let the wood dry out completely. Once its properly dried out you can use ground spices (or herbs) mixed with superglue to fill in the cracks. Spices are great as they are clean wood powder really and come in a range of colours so you can match the wood. Ginger may work well for the acacia etc. Run some glue in the crack and pack some spice (before the glue sets) then add more glue and let it soak in (you'll see when its mixing) then more spice and so on till it builds up and fills the crack. Once filled let it rest for a day or so before sanding. 

#24 mattwalt

mattwalt

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:15 AM

Regarding seasoning of wood - can be sped up in the microwave (but you need to be very careful - there are some tips around online). But whats probably best is sealed brown paper bags (McDonalds carriers etc.) - I prefer removing the bark first (generally) then seal the ends (left cut long) and allow to dry out over a year in the garage...

#25 namepa

namepa
  • Registered
  • 51 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:40 PM

Thanks for the tips. Have not thrown that peach fork out yet so will hang on and try to salvage when completely dry. Even if it is only to try the method.

#26 THWACK!

THWACK!

Resident American humorist, magician and faux intellect

• Silver Sponsor Silver Sponsor
  • 1,486 posts
  • LocationUSA, thank you

Posted 28 February 2017 - 06:30 PM

Welcome! Thanks for telling us about the term "kettie". Have made a few contacts to South Africa by ham radio. Always interesting conversations.

Prijon - are you into DMR yet?

N4ANO

All the above is code for "we've got a lot of slingshots"... yeah, right...

#27 THWACK!

THWACK!

• 1,486 posts
  • LocationUSA, thank you

Posted 28 February 2017 - 06:31 PM

Welcome to the best clinic on Earth.

#28 Grandpa Pete

Grandpa Pete

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 442 posts
  • LocationColorado USA

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:37 PM

Welcome to the forum. I am sure you'll enjoy it as much as I do. There is a lot of good information posted on this site and a lot of good slingshot related fun.

GP

#29 THWACK!

THWACK!

• 1,486 posts
  • LocationUSA, thank you

Posted 25 March 2017 - 05:14 PM

Welcome! Thanks for telling us about the term "kettie". Have made a few contacts to South Africa by ham radio. Always interesting conversations.

Try DMR!!!

THWACK!

#30 THWACK!

THWACK!

• 1,486 posts
  • LocationUSA, thank you

Posted 25 March 2017 - 05:23 PM

Regarding seasoning of wood - can be sped up in the microwave (but you need to be very careful - there are some tips around online). But whats probably best is sealed brown paper bags (McDonalds carriers etc.) - I prefer removing the bark first (generally) then seal the ends (left cut long) and allow to dry out over a year in the garage...

Hi!

Found a branch today that'll I'll be using as a cane. It was on the ground which is damp from yesterday's rain. Cut it to length and stripped off the bark. Left it outdoors with heavy patio blocks weighing it down where it needs to be straightened out a bit. Obviously won't fit in my microwave oven. Haven't seen  any brown paper bags around in a long time. Garage? Nope, just an assigned parking space. At what point  should the ends be sealed to prevent cracking (I believe they're too damp now)? 

Apparently you've some experience with this sort of thing, and I'd appreciate your assistance.

Thanks!

Sorry for a thread hijacking, guys - it won't happen again (well, one can never predict the future, can one?)

THWACK!

Edited by THWACK!, 25 March 2017 - 05:30 PM.

#31 THWACK!

THWACK!

• 1,486 posts
  • LocationUSA, thank you

Posted 25 March 2017 - 05:25 PM

Yes. Kids in Eligwa...used to be Voorslag! Stripped bark on a few forks the last few days. Two was thin ones from unknown tree. They will be good for slingshot as I use to make them. Longer prongs with light weight bands. Then another thin one from acacia karoo. Very please with how the fork looks after bark came off. Going to try heavier band setup on that one. Witstinkhout fork is bulkier and I will make that into a slingshot with stubbier prongs like most I have seen here. Last one was I really bulky peach fork. With nice grain and colouration ... Obviously I hurried and it is all cracked this morning.

Namepa, don't let the Acacia leaves go to waste - donate them to the Giraffe Gastronomy Institute, please.

THWACK!

#32 mattwalt

mattwalt

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 12:00 AM

Hi!

Found a branch today that'll I'll be using as a cane. It was on the ground which is damp from yesterday's rain. Cut it to length and stripped off the bark. Left it outdoors with heavy patio blocks weighing it down where it needs to be straightened out a bit. Obviously won't fit in my microwave oven. Haven't seen  any brown paper bags around in a long time. Garage? Nope, just an assigned parking space. At what point  should the ends be sealed to prevent cracking (I believe they're too damp now)? 

Apparently you've some experience with this sort of thing, and I'd appreciate your assistance.

Thanks!

Sorry for a thread hijacking, guys - it won't happen again (well, one can never predict the future, can one?)

THWACK!

Some guys seal the end with PVA glue - I'd do as quickly as possible. you may be able to wrap in newspaper - or get some KFC (i'll arrive in brown paper bags) - you can cut and tape bags as long as its well sealed. The idea is to let the wood dry as slowly as possible without rotting. 

Edited by mattwalt, 26 March 2017 - 12:02 AM.

#33 THWACK!

THWACK!

• 1,486 posts
  • LocationUSA, thank you

Posted 26 March 2017 - 08:52 AM

Hi!

Thanks!

THWACK!

Some guys seal the end with PVA glue - I'd do as quickly as possible. you may be able to wrap in newspaper - or get some KFC (i'll arrive in brown paper bags) - you can cut and tape bags as long as its well sealed. The idea is to let the wood dry as slowly as possible without rotting. 

KFC, as in Kentucky Fried Chicken? Didn't know they had that chain of restaurants in Britain. Shouldn't be surprised though - MacDonald's is worldwide, so why not Kentucky Fried Chicken? I don't eat KFC, so I believe I'll use what is generally known as "kraft paper", which Amazon supplies with goodies I order. Bless those goodies. Bless "Prime" too.  

PVC glue - I believe that's the white glue, as in Elmer's School Glue (www.elmers.com), which I have, and I also have Elmer's Carpenter's Interior Wood Glue, and Titebond II Premium Wood Glue Interior/Exterior. I don't suppose it makes a difference which one to use, but please correct me before I err.

Thanks for the info, it's greatly appreciated.

THWACK!

#34 ghost0311/8541

ghost0311/8541

3000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 3,003 posts
  • LocationUS MARINE, HUNTER ,BACKWOODSMAN , IN FLORIDA

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:15 AM

Welcome

#35 mattwalt

mattwalt

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 12:00 PM

Interesting KFC is global. It was the largest Take-Away chain world wide till around the late 90's. Its now no.2 to Mc D's.

Amazon Prime - Is AWESOME.

Yeah probably find the glue you mention is fine - Also heard of using nail polish (which is fast drying - and great for fixing chips in paintwork).

Edited by mattwalt, 26 March 2017 - 12:38 PM.

#36 namepa

namepa
  • Registered
  • 51 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 26 March 2017 - 12:14 PM

Glad Matt could be of help with regards to the drying. I have not done any drying yet. My wife follows the story of a giraffe that is about to give birth in a zoo somewhere. The giraffe is named April so I recon the baby will only appear next weekend. Or maybe it id a very elaborate April fools hoax...

--Click to Remove Ads--