35 replies to this topic

#1 namepa

namepa
  • Registered
  • 51 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 07 January 2017 - 03:29 PM

Hi All,
My 9 year old son scratched out a cheap slingshot we bought him about a year ago and we started shooting a bit this afternoon.... In the house using play dough as ammo. Wanted to know if there is specific soft ammo around and jump on the web. Found you guys!
Have been reading posts for the last 3 hours and decided to join. Use to make my own slingshots as a boy ... purely functionall things, nothing that comes remotely close to any of the works of art I have seen here. But I will embark on creating a "kettie" (Afrikaans for slingshot) again and maybe my son and I could start a hobby together.

#2 treefork

treefork

Focus

• +Member
  • 18,743 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 January 2017 - 04:51 PM

Welcome to the forum .

#3 StretchandEat

StretchandEat

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,225 posts
  • LocationMississippi USA

Posted 07 January 2017 - 05:41 PM

Welcome to the forum. . Be forewarned that this could quite easily/probably turn into an addiction...

#4 Viper010

Viper010

2000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 2,055 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 07 January 2017 - 06:21 PM

Welcome!

#5 Tag

Tag

3000 Post Club

• Silver Sponsor Silver Sponsor
  • 3,651 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 07 January 2017 - 06:27 PM

Glad you deceided to join, welcome

#6 Flatband

Flatband

4000+ Post Club

• Moderators Moderators
  • 4,686 posts
  • LocationNY/NJ Metro Region

Posted 07 January 2017 - 08:01 PM

Welcome!

#7 Chesapeake Inuit

Chesapeake Inuit
  • Registered
  • 33 posts
  • Locationeast coast

Posted 07 January 2017 - 08:25 PM

Welcome! Thanks for telling us about the term "kettie". Have made a few contacts to South Africa by ham radio. Always interesting conversations.

Edited by Prijon, 07 January 2017 - 08:28 PM.

#8 e~shot

e~shot

~Pouch Maker~

• Gold Sponsor Gold Sponsor
  • 15,472 posts
  • LocationSri Lanka

Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:55 PM

Welcome to the forum!

#9 namepa

namepa
  • Registered
  • 51 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:31 PM

Thanks All,
A little bit more about the slingshots me and a friend used to make from about 1990 through to 1993...
We used car inner tube as elastics because that was what was free. We cut them as straight and smooth as possible and never fought to try to taper them.We used forks from trees in the area so they were all natty. I used narrow forks with long prongs...

#10 namepa

namepa
  • Registered
  • 51 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:52 PM

Sorry..Had to go read the glossary thread again...

Held the slingshot with finger brace (yes...That is what I had to go lookup...Putting the new into newbie and not using my brĂ in!) grip. My friend preferred bulkier wider forks and made use of pistol grip. We used pouches made from fake leather, again because that was what was free.

My forks came from oleander tree or shrub mostly. A very poisonist tree apparently ... never got sick. I simply cut the fork from the bush on the nabours sidewalk and strip the bark. Left it a day or two at most and attached bands and pouch.

#11 namepa

namepa
  • Registered
  • 51 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 08 January 2017 - 12:09 AM

Bands went on over the top with about an inch down the target side of the prongs and wrapped with thin strips of the inner tube. The bands on the pouch side went through holes, folded back little more than half inch and wrapped with thin strip inner tube too.
We shot crushed stone mostly. Had a pile at a construction site down the street. Stones were uniform in size (13mm) and cube shaped.

#12 slingshotnew

slingshotnew

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,618 posts
  • LocationItalia

Posted 08 January 2017 - 01:02 AM

Welcome!

#13 Larry Bourgeois

Larry Bourgeois

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 121 posts
  • LocationOttawa,Ontario

Posted 08 January 2017 - 08:42 AM

Glad you found your way here Namepa, it is a very cool place for fun and fellowship of the fork, here on the web. Nice background info. Looking forward to seeing a new shooter from you soon. :) lb

#14 mattwalt

mattwalt

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 615 posts
  • LocationStratford Upon Avon

Posted 09 January 2017 - 05:43 AM

Hey Boetie - Like you I've recently joined. Its been a long time since I carried a Kettie (I'd assume very much the same kind of background). What I am using indoors is BB's (the little windbuks ball type (177) and a 'micro' setup) loads of fun - and being light they don't do too much damage.

Edited by mattwalt, 09 January 2017 - 05:49 AM.

#15 Ibojoe

Ibojoe

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:01 AM

Welcome to the forum! Tried air soft ammo?

#16 namepa

namepa
  • Registered
  • 51 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:00 PM

Was at a shop yesterday selling all sorts of archery and crossbow type things.  They also had some slingshot things.  I asked the guy about air soft ammo and he showed me the BB gun pellets Matt mentioned 2 posts up.  Not sure if that is the air soft that I have read about here.  Will test google now.  BTW got round to go to the local illegal dumping site round the corner.  People just tip their garden refuse down this little gravel road on an open yard.  Anyway, lots of cut down branches to scavenge for forks.  Got a few!

#17 roirizla

roirizla

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 295 posts
  • LocationBerkshire

Posted 14 January 2017 - 05:45 PM

Welcome! Where in SA are you situated?

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

#18 namepa

namepa
  • Registered
  • 51 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 14 January 2017 - 11:08 PM

Vanderbijlpark and Benoni...

#19 roirizla

roirizla

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 295 posts
  • LocationBerkshire

Posted 15 January 2017 - 01:05 AM

That's some commute. Bet you see all kinds of stuff if you're using the toll road. Pity you're not closer to the West-rand. I could hook you up with a friend of mine (if you like) who also shoots and makes all kinds of ketties.

Either way nice to see another Saffa here :)

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

#20 namepa

namepa
  • Registered
  • 51 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 15 January 2017 - 05:57 AM

Commute is my middle name...use to do the Benoni to Pretoria for 3 years, then Benoni to Secunda for 3 years and the last 18 months the Vanderbijlpark trip. This year decided to move kids to school in Vanderbijl...only go home weekends...part of the reason I am on the forum. Trying to keep kids happy cropped up in the room where we stay during week. Found a open veld close by where we can shoot safely.

--Click to Remove Ads--