• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Davo

Davo
  • Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 05 January 2017 - 02:33 PM

Hi guys, im new to the forum,been shooting ttf for a month or so and was just wondering how long it took you guys to be able to hit say a 50mm target 8 out of 10 from 20m. I know everyone is different so thought it would be interesting to know your experiences.

#2 brucered

brucered

Spin, spin

• Registered
  • 1,661 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 January 2017 - 02:42 PM

I'm a year in and still can't come close to your numbers. Most of my measured shooting is from 10m and I consider myself a decent shot

Granted I don't shoot every day like some.

Edited by brucered, 05 January 2017 - 02:43 PM.

#3 MikmaqWarrior

MikmaqWarrior

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 875 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:07 PM

It took me a couple months of steady practice to hit a plastic practice golfball with 80% accuracy/consistency @ 20m. It was a lot of shooting. I was already shooting for a few years, but I was only plinking cans...
How I achieved the 80% success rate was by shooting at beer caps. The smaller the target, the faster you will improve....I use plastic golf balls for hunting warm-ups and maintenance because they are cheap to buy at Walmart, very durable, and beer caps are unhealthy for me (hiccup°) lol

The most important thing to remember is to maintain good form and relax. Consistency is all about maintaining the same form with every shot...but you have to have fun too, so don't get too impatient, or count every hit and miss. If you take it too serious, it can do more harm than good...Trust me...I've been down that road. Frustration leads to lack of confidence...Which is bad..It has to be enjoyable.

So, just shoot...And be mindful of your form....You'll be knockin' em down soon enough, I am sure!

Sent from my B1-770 using Tapatalk

#4 MikmaqWarrior

MikmaqWarrior

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 875 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:12 PM

It took me a couple months of steady practice to hit a plastic practice golfball with 80% accuracy/consistency @ 20m. It was a lot of shooting. I was already shooting for a few years, but I was only plinking cans...
How I achieved the 80% success rate was by shooting at beer caps. The smaller the target, the faster you will improve....I use plastic golf balls for hunting warm-ups and maintenance because they are cheap to buy at Walmart, very durable, and beer caps are unhealthy for me (hiccup°) lol

The most important thing to remember is to maintain good form and relax. Consistency is all about maintaining the same form with every shot...but you have to have fun too, so don't get too impatient, or count every hit and miss. If you take it too serious, it can do more harm than good...Trust me...I've been down that road. Frustration leads to lack of confidence...Which is bad..It has to be enjoyable.

So, just shoot...And be mindful of your form....You'll be knockin' em down soon enough, I am sure!

Actually...My hunting distance is usually between 15 - 20m.....Which I try to keep to 15 because my accuracy goes down below 8/10 the further back I am...Realistically 12 meters is ideal

#5 StretchandEat

StretchandEat

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,225 posts
  • LocationMississippi USA

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:32 PM

Folks around these parts tell me that I was hitting 5mm targets at 20m 8 out of 10 shots before I was weaned...

#6 MikmaqWarrior

MikmaqWarrior

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 875 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:45 PM

Folks around these parts tell me that I was hitting 5mm targets at 20m 8 out of 10 shots before I was weaned...

In these parts, we sing songs about you :)

#7 StretchandEat

StretchandEat

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,225 posts
  • LocationMississippi USA

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:52 PM

I exist in somewhere in a place between Myth & Legend..

#8 Davo

Davo
  • Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:57 AM

Cheers for the replies fellas!! , I know it will come with practice.. I can hit a can 8 out of 10 from 20 yards but im struggling to hit smaller targets consistently im maybe hitting 3 out of 10. I find it dificult to get the practice in on smaller targets as i just get frustrated with missing a lot and have to take a break.

#9 romanljc

romanljc

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 487 posts
  • LocationNorth East USA

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:20 AM

Don't know but I do know that people who hunt for food with slingshots when they are really hungry get really good at it pretty fast . Us a light setup it will help

#10 honorary pie

honorary pie

not really a pie.

• Registered
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationOntario Canada

Posted 08 January 2017 - 09:37 AM

i do not second this opinion^^^^

if you wanna get good enough to hunt, you are the path, but I'd practice often with the heaviest band setup I can, or what I plan to hunt with (I do hunt), as a light setup will not prep you the draw weight of a hunting rig, but will amount to hand shake and inconsistency... if you can hit a can that often at 20m, go straight to a bottle cap at 20...worry not about misses, congratulate yourself on hits and keep it interesting... i like to walk around and shoot from every distance and elevation I can.

#11 MikmaqWarrior

MikmaqWarrior

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 875 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia

Posted 08 January 2017 - 09:43 AM

I agree with @honorary pie....Light bands are good for target shooting and you might want to stick to that while you work your way up to a heavier bandset before going on a hunt. It will give you time to hone your skills and build your muscles up before going out into the field...

#12 Jonny Mac

Jonny Mac
  • 20 posts
  • LocationBonnie Scotland

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:22 PM

I think it depends on what you plan to hunt. I have been watching - Joefe catapult shooter - on YT he hunts mainly pheasant and wood pigeon exclusively (from his driver seat lol) with single band set and 9.5mm (3/8") steels. He reckons the single band set improves accuracy and is still very capable for hunting. Here he is talking about it. (no kills in this vid) I've linked to where he is talking about the bands and steels but the whole vid is worth a watch for ttf aiming tips.

http://youtu.be/vIMsgWqoAeI?t=4m40s

And in this vid his mate kills a hare at what looks about 25m or more with the same 9.5mm steel and a single latex band setup.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=MpMnGi9peSg

cheers

Jonny

Edited by Jonny Mac, 10 January 2017 - 04:30 PM.

#13 MikmaqWarrior

MikmaqWarrior

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 875 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:24 PM

I think it depends on what you plan to hunt. I have been watching - Joefe catapult shooter - on YT he hunts mainly pheasant and wood pigeon exclusively (from his driver seat lol) with single band set and 9.5mm (3/8") steels. He reckons the single band set improves accuracy and is still very capable for hunting. Here he is talking about it. (no kills in this vid) I've linked to where he is talking about the bands and steels but the whole vid is worth a watch for ttf aiming tips.

http://youtu.be/vIMsgWqoAeI?t=4m40s

And in this vid his mate kills a hare at what looks about 25m or more with the same 9.5mm steel and a single latex band setup.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=MpMnGi9peSg

cheers

Jonny

All I use is 27--22mm taper, single TBG for hunting with 3/8" steel....Anything bigger than 20-15s is good with 3/8...So when I said, "light bands" I meant too light...

#14 romanljc

romanljc

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 487 posts
  • LocationNorth East USA

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:02 PM

I think it depends on what you plan to hunt. I have been watching - Joefe catapult shooter - on YT he hunts mainly pheasant and wood pigeon exclusively (from his driver seat lol) with single band set and 9.5mm (3/8") steels. He reckons the single band set improves accuracy and is still very capable for hunting. Here he is talking about it. (no kills in this vid) I've linked to where he is talking about the bands and steels but the whole vid is worth a watch for ttf aiming tips.http://youtu.be/vIMsgWqoAeI?t=4m40s
And in this vid his mate kills a hare at what looks about 25m or more with the same 9.5mm steel and a single latex band setup.http://www.youtube.c...h?v=MpMnGi9peSg
cheers
Jonny

All I use is 27--22mm taper, single TBG for hunting with 3/8" steel....Anything bigger than 20-15s is good with 3/8...So when I said, "light bands" I meant too light...

I agree I think accuracy is more important

#15 MikmaqWarrior

MikmaqWarrior

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 875 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:25 PM

I think it depends on what you plan to hunt. I have been watching - Joefe catapult shooter - on YT he hunts mainly pheasant and wood pigeon exclusively (from his driver seat lol) with single band set and 9.5mm (3/8") steels. He reckons the single band set improves accuracy and is still very capable for hunting. Here he is talking about it. (no kills in this vid) I've linked to where he is talking about the bands and steels but the whole vid is worth a watch for ttf aiming tips.http://youtu.be/vIMsgWqoAeI?t=4m40s
And in this vid his mate kills a hare at what looks about 25m or more with the same 9.5mm steel and a single latex band setup.http://www.youtube.c...h?v=MpMnGi9peSg
cheers
Jonny

I agree I think accuracy is more important
I am a huge advocate of shot placement before power...Ask anyone on the forum....However, you still need adequate energy for a humane kill, even with a well placed shot...It's a balance...Going too light can be just as as going too heavy...

#16 Jonny Mac

Jonny Mac
  • 20 posts
  • LocationBonnie Scotland

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:36 AM

Wow smaller than 20-15 now that would be light lol. I am just so used to hearing the double theraband ½" lead set up being promoted for hunting but it is so difficult to practice and become accurate with. I just presumed by light y'all meant single bands. I was going to try 30-25 but your 27-22 sounds like a plan for the 3/8 I'll give it a go, might help eliminate any potential hand slap.

#17 MikmaqWarrior

MikmaqWarrior

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 875 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:01 AM

Wow smaller than 20-15 now that would be light lol. I am just so used to hearing the double theraband ½" lead set up being promoted for hunting but it is so difficult to practice and become accurate with. I just presumed by light y'all meant single bands. I was going to try 30-25 but your 27-22 sounds like a plan for the 3/8 I'll give it a go, might help eliminate any potential hand slap.
I use 30-25mm when I need that extra zip for longer shots, or when the weather is colder...Or when using .36 lead

--Click to Remove Ads--