Hello...gotta cat problem!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 TripleB

TripleB
  • 2 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 December 2016 - 02:39 PM

Hello. First time here although I've used a slingshot for over 43 years now.

I've got ferrule cats (about 5) hanging around my yard. I just got my daughter a new(er) car and want to make sure the cats stay away from it and don't scratch the hood like they did on her old car.

Have a pair of electronic devices surrounding the car that will hopefully keep them away but would like to somehow scare them away from my yard so they get nowhere close to the car.

Had thought about using a slingshot with some softer type ammo but someone mentioned it might put their eye out.

Purchased a cheap air soft pistol but it won't shoot quite far enough.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!!

TripleB

#2 Viper010

Viper010

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 28 December 2016 - 02:58 PM

I would recommend one of those heron guard devices used to secure your garden pond and the fish therein.

They work with an infrared detection system and squirt a jet of water at anything trying to encroach on your pond and eat your fish. With a couple of these things you could easily construct a sort of squirt gun perimeter fence to very effectively keep out the cats.

A slingshot with soft ammo will work as a temporary deterrent but you would need to keep watch around the clock in order for it to remain effective.

Best of luck in finding an acceptable solution.

Edited by Viper010, 28 December 2016 - 03:02 PM.

#3 Ukprelude

Ukprelude

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 188 posts
  • LocationBonnybridge, Scotland

Posted 28 December 2016 - 03:15 PM

Buy a dog ;)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

#4 Ukprelude

Ukprelude

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 188 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 03:17 PM

In fact buy a dog and give it to you're misses as a late Xmas pressie! She will be happy with you, no more cats, everyone is a winner haha :)

#5 CornDawg

CornDawg

Impaled Cuisines Artisan

• +Member
  • 621 posts
  • LocationU.S.A. Pacific Northwest

Posted 28 December 2016 - 03:35 PM

Animal control service with jurisdiction in your area?

#6 Imperial

Imperial

HOBBYIST-SOPHOMORIC-JACKA$$

• Registered
  • 8,080 posts
  • LocationHELLPERIAL, MEXIFORNIA

Posted 28 December 2016 - 04:22 PM

BEWARE! Cats are an alien species from another planet.you will never win. Bow to there supremacy !

#7 Phoul Mouth

Phoul Mouth

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 818 posts
  • Location9th Circle of Hades, also known as Massachusetts.

Posted 28 December 2016 - 05:29 PM

Hello. First time here although I've used a slingshot for over 43 years now.

I've got ferrule cats (about 5) hanging around my yard. I just got my daughter a new(er) car and want to make sure the cats stay away from it and don't scratch the hood like they did on her old car.

Have a pair of electronic devices surrounding the car that will hopefully keep them away but would like to somehow scare them away from my yard so they get nowhere close to the car.

Had thought about using a slingshot with some softer type ammo but someone mentioned it might put their eye out.

Purchased a cheap air soft pistol but it won't shoot quite far enough.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!!

TripleB

Just use the slingshot with the largest ammo you got.  If you're lucky you will kill one or 2, but at the least if you hit them they won't be coming back anytime soon.  Feral cats are a plague that really needs to be dealt with harshly no matter what cat lovers will say.  They breed like cockroaches and slaughter any other animals in the area they can.  

We had a problem with feral cats in my neighborhood for a while.  Scratching everything, wiping out peoples trash, it was rare to see birds, squirrels, or chipmunks.  Couldn't walk down the road without being followed by a pack of the nasty little things.  Got so bad my neighbors started taking them out with prejudice.  

Also, if feral cats are hanging around it is because of a food source.  Are they getting into your or your neighbors trash?  Is someone feeding them?  I'd find out and put a stop to it.

Edited by Phoul Mouth, 28 December 2016 - 05:33 PM.

#8 flipgun

flipgun

2000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 2,893 posts
  • Locationtexas

Posted 28 December 2016 - 07:26 PM

Fox or Coyote urine from the local sports store is the better answer. Sprinkle some on cotton balls and put around your yard and it will deter them. I hope it works. Ya' know because a finish on a new car is MUCH more important than people being responsible to spay/neuter/not abandon their pets Richard. :hmm:   

Edited by flipgun, 28 December 2016 - 07:28 PM.

#9 TripleB

TripleB
  • 2 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 December 2016 - 07:34 PM

I would recommend one of those heron guard devices used to secure your garden pond and the fish therein.

They work with an infrared detection system and squirt a jet of water at anything trying to encroach on your pond and eat your fish. With a couple of these things you could easily construct a sort of squirt gun perimeter fence to very effectively keep out the cats.

We have something similar to that and we use it when the weather is supposed to be above freezing...below freezing and the frozen water causes our hose to burst.  Thanks for the help!!!

Buy a dog ;)

In fact buy a dog and give it to you're misses as a late Xmas pressie! She will be happy with you, no more cats, everyone is a winner haha :)

My wife hates dogs!  Yea, I know....who doesn't love dogs?

Just use the slingshot with the largest ammo you got.  If you're lucky you will kill one or 2, but at the least if you hit them they won't be coming back anytime soon.  Feral cats are a plague that really needs to be dealt with harshly no matter what cat lovers will say.  They breed like cockroaches and slaughter any other animals in the area they can.  

We had a problem with feral cats in my neighborhood for a while.  Scratching everything, wiping out peoples trash, it was rare to see birds, squirrels, or chipmunks.  Couldn't walk down the road without being followed by a pack of the nasty little things.  Got so bad my neighbors started taking them out with prejudice.  

Also, if feral cats are hanging around it is because of a food source.  Are they getting into your or your neighbors trash?  Is someone feeding them?  I'd find out and put a stop to it.

LOL...thought I'd fire off my .22, .25, or .380 just to scare them and the neighbors!

We have a ditch near the back of our yard that they tend to hang out....not sure if there may be mice or something else back there but they aren't getting into anyone's trash.  They aren't our neighbors cats but may be some from other homes in the neighborhood.

If I could find one cheap or borrow one I thought about a paint ball gun...nothing like a reminder to the owners to keep an eye on their cat!

Thanks for all the advice!!!

TripleB

Edited by TripleB, 28 December 2016 - 07:35 PM.

#10 Alfred E. Monkeynipples

Alfred E. Monkeynipples

Who is the I that says I Am

• +Member
  • 551 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 28 December 2016 - 10:01 PM

Of course I'm NOT advocating this ...

... used to have a crazy neighbor with an expensive koi pond in his enclosed back yard but the feral cats were relentless.   He added a diving board-like perch so the beasties could walk out and stare right down at the fish.   From his second floor window he could then drill the felines with .22 half caps (low noise) thru his scoped .22 rifle.   In the morning, he'd emerge with a black hefty bag saying - 'nother one way trip to the land fill.

Get caught doing this and you'll make the front page and evening news.   Almost as bad if you paintball a neighbor cat - Fluffy's owner will be looking for you. 

#11 SlingshotBill

SlingshotBill

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 472 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 28 December 2016 - 11:36 PM

Gangstergrips needs to run a Advertisement for his Beans over or under this Topic

Sent from my LG-K373 using Tapatalk

#12 Ukprelude

Ukprelude

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 188 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 03:50 PM

Gangstergrips needs to run a Advertisement for his Beans over or under this Topic

Sent from my LG-K373 using Tapatalk

I can't wait to get my hands on some of those beans

#13 inconvenience

inconvenience

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,217 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA, USA

Posted 30 December 2016 - 09:36 PM

I am an absolute cat lover. If the animal is truky ferak I don't mind you killing it. But you need to use a firearm for that. Unless you can pull the heaviest of hunting setups and can hit a quarter sized target.

But shooting to wound is horrible and I'm sure NO ONE seriously means for anyone to do that.

#14 honorary pie

honorary pie

not really a pie.

• Registered
  • 805 posts
  • LocationOntario Canada

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:37 PM

do not point your slingshot at anything you do not intend to destroy.. if you are there when they are, throw tennis balls or bang off a capgun... they can't be so damaging that you're willing to damage your car to deter them from damaging your car. bird fencing on your fence will keep them from climbing over if that's a possibility..

#15 mattwalt

mattwalt
  • Registered
  • 21 posts
  • LocationStratford Upon Avon

Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:13 AM

I used to have a similar problem when I was younger - breeding birds attracted feral cats.

Not advocating this but erasers cut into cubes 'works'. However cats will keep coming back any way. 

I'd recommend some of the options offered (urine etc.). Also surely there must be some cat deterrent options around...?

--Click to Remove Ads--