noob help.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Collin Stuefen

Collin Stuefen
  • 1 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 16 December 2016 - 01:35 AM

I am new to the hobby and I am trying to get some supply's to make some slingshots to start out with as well as making a sling bow. I have no experience with these and would like advise on materials, as well as if any one has some things they would be willing to sell me to help- me along. I am currently crafting a all maple board cut but have no bands or tubes and I'm not sure what would be best for me. any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 MikmaqWarrior

MikmaqWarrior

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 696 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia

Posted 16 December 2016 - 06:07 AM

I am new to the hobby and I am trying to get some supply's to make some slingshots to start out with as well as making a sling bow. I have no experience with these and would like advise on materials, as well as if any one has some things they would be willing to sell me to help- me along. I am currently crafting a all maple board cut but have no bands or tubes and I'm not sure what would be best for me. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tubes and bands can be purchased at most local drugstores in the physiotherapy section...it's called Theraband and they sell it by the foot...you can purchase it in tube or flat band form.
I make my frames using HDPE or birch plywood...and natural tree forks (which is the cheapest cause it's free)
All I use for tools/materials is a knife, a handsaw, a half round wood rasp, sandpaper, boiled linseed oil, beeswax and a clean lint free cloth.
There are tons of threads on here that can help you...and YouTube is great for info...
Good luck and can't wait to see your builds :)

Sent from my B1-770 using Tapatalk

#3 treefork

treefork

Focus

• +Member
  • 18,512 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:49 AM

Welcome to the forum . There are many vendors here with what you need . http://slingshotforu...=list&filter=15

http://slingshotforu...ands-and-tubes/

Edited by treefork, 16 December 2016 - 09:55 AM.

• LVO likes this

#4 Can-Opener

Can-Opener

3000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 3,062 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 17 December 2016 - 12:17 PM

https://simple-shot.com/diy/   Everything you need  including advice just call Nathan :)

Edited by Can-Opener, 17 December 2016 - 12:20 PM.

• LVO likes this

#5 AlmightyOx

AlmightyOx

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 343 posts
  • LocationIowa, USA

Posted 17 December 2016 - 12:32 PM

The slingshot knowledge 101 pinned post has an hour long video from Bill Hays with Pocket Predator. It's very informative!
  • LVO likes this

#6 Blue Raja

Blue Raja

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 127 posts
  • LocationSouthern District

Posted 20 December 2016 - 09:46 AM

Collin - 

The common wisdom is to start w/ a Scout from Simple Shot.  You can band it and hold it in several different ways to see which style best suits you.  There are also several other vendors that support the forum.  Pocket Predator just redesigned its slingshots and has some great options for a more than reasonable price.  A+ slingshots is a very good choice as well.  All have slingbow as well as slingshot options and all of these vendors are very responsive.

While you are deciding on a slingshot, don't overlook a classic wire frame.  I shoot Trumarks almost exclusively. I am a noob here myself, so take everything that I say w/ a large serving of salt.  I think that a Trumark FSX-FO w/ RR-T (red tapered) bands (actually tubes) is a great way to get started.  You can find them for about $15.00 at some of the big box sporting goods stores.  The wide fork is very forgiving.  The wrist brace helps avoid some of the torquing that results in poor shots.

There are some simple modifications that improve the FSX-FO, like filing the hollow handle w/ glue and steel ammo and wrapping the handle w/ sports grip tape - but it shoots just fine right out of the package.

The main thing is to grab a slingshot, some good ammo (do not shoot rocks unless you have a set-up designed for rocks) and get out there and shoot.

Remember to wear your safety goggles and have fun! 

#7 romanljc

romanljc

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 265 posts
  • LocationNorth East USA

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:45 AM

Simpleshot.com has everything you need to get started

#8 KawKan

KawKan
  • Registered
  • 80 posts
  • LocationLawrence, KS

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:34 PM

Welcome to the forum. 

Slingshots grow on trees, bud! Some are imported as bamboo spoons or spatulas!

For less than a dollar you can buy a pack of #64 or #32 rubber bands an build custom bands for a year!

Start browsing the Homemade threads and find something that inspires you. There's more to this hobby than shopping.

#9 SonnyAmanda Mouton

SonnyAmanda Mouton
  • Registered
  • 10 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 07 January 2017 - 05:17 PM

I'm new to this forum I wanted some help finding gamekeepers Jhon mini rabbit stopper template so I can build my own and put my own tweaks on it can anyone help me with this template plz

#10 SonnyAmanda Mouton

SonnyAmanda Mouton
  • Registered
  • 10 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 21 January 2017 - 09:42 PM

Looking for good psf design for newbie

#11 SonnyAmanda Mouton

SonnyAmanda Mouton
  • Registered
  • 10 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 21 January 2017 - 10:00 PM

I'm new here looking for good pfs template for beginners to teach my kids my hobby of shooting and target practice with sling shots

#12 wn4Studios

wn4Studios

100 Post Club

• +Member
  • 128 posts
  • LocationDeutschland

Posted 01 February 2017 - 12:45 PM

Read every thread on here if you're really interested.

--Click to Remove Ads--