• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cavedweller

cavedweller
  • Registered
  • 28 posts
  • LocationFylde Coast, UK

Posted 12 November 2016 - 04:11 PM

A while back I made an experimental looper slingshot that's been a lot of fun but now for the first time I've tried it as a slingbow. I haven't altered it to shoot arrows specifically although if I wanted to I could make some bands that were more suited to arrow fitment. But for now I've just been experimenting with it as is.

Initial experiments show that it seems to be about as strong as a 20-30lb draw bow using standard 30" cheapo arrows. I can't say much about accuracy yet as I've not had the opportunity to really test it for more than about a dozen shots at fairly close range but so far it works very well.

I didn't have a slingshot with a wrist support to experiment with but the bent wire configuration of this homemade jobbie just happened to lend itself to arrow use quite readily. You can hold the whole thing loaded up with an arrow in one hand and have your other hand free until you want to shoot it.

At the moment it shoots normal length arrows which works fine but it's a bit awkward carrying around a handful of standard length arrows so I have plans to convert it to use shorter arrows for better portability, but that will be later. For now it's a rater fun arrow flinger and I shall be experimenting with different bands etc.

Attached Thumbnails

• 6.JPG
  • 5.JPG
  • 4.JPG
  • 3.JPG
  • 2.JPG
  • 1.JPG

• Tag likes this

#2 ghost0311/8541

ghost0311/8541

3000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 3,028 posts
  • LocationUS MARINE, HUNTER ,BACKWOODSMAN , IN FLORIDA

Posted 12 November 2016 - 09:49 PM

How's it shoot.
  • Tag likes this

#3 cavedweller

cavedweller
  • Registered
  • 28 posts
  • LocationFylde Coast, UK

Posted 13 November 2016 - 05:13 AM

It actually shoot these lightweight cheapo wooden arrows quite well. At the moment I've only tried it with a couple of different bands, one set being looped 1745 and another being looped 4mm solid. Both shoot nicely. Bands are very quick to change on this thing and I usually have three or four different types when I'm out with it. I intend to make up some bands with a bit of cord instead of a pouch for arrow use

I have some concerns that the plastic fletchings on the arrows might need to be cut down a bit, or even removed altogether, but not sure yet. I've been thinking of making some kind of arrow rest for it maybe but that would get in the way of using it as a normal slingshot so I'm still thinking. I might try to get a whisker biscuit that I can attach or take off as I need to, depending on what I'm using it as. I do like the idea of a dual purpose slingshot/slingbow.

As it is the arrows seem to fly straight enough for the short distances I've had it indoors. There are many dead cardboard boxes around here at the moment. Unfortunately my idea of stuffing a feather pillow into a box as a temporary target didn't work out very well. Arrow went straight through and made a dent in the wall. Seems to have a pretty good kick at short range. Could definitely small game hunt.

I will be taking it out in a few days for a proper good try outside somewhere.

• Tag likes this

#4 Ibojoe

Ibojoe

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 13 November 2016 - 06:49 AM

Looking forward to an update.
  • Tag likes this

#5 MedSlinger

MedSlinger