6 replies to this topic

#1 John-Boy

John-Boy

"500+fps Speed demon"

• Bronze Sponsor Bronze Sponsor
  • 674 posts
  • LocationNorthern Ireland (uk)

Posted 04 October 2016 - 01:06 PM

Looking about getting a scroll saw and I've a few shortlisted but mainly looking about getting an Axminster. Anybody any input on decent scroll saws that won't break the bank while still maintaining a degree of quality and reliability?
  • Tag likes this

#2 Rayshot

Rayshot

4000+ Post Club

• Vendors Supporting Vendor
  • 4,379 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, Georgia USA

Posted 04 October 2016 - 08:05 PM

It was suggested to me to get a band saw.  In my case a scroll saw would have been mostly, money down the drain.  But it depends on your usage.

#3 brucered

brucered

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 October 2016 - 08:55 PM

I use a Delta 2000 Variable Speed scroll saw and love if.

Check your local used sites for an old Delta, Ridgid or Porter Cable.

#4 The Gopher

The Gopher

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,620 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 11 October 2016 - 02:20 PM

I have a nice 14" bandsaw but hardly ever use it for cutting out frames. I use the bandsaw for re-sawing mostly. For me personally the scroll is my most used powertool for slingshots. I have an older craftsman that doesn't even have a little blower on it (very annoying) but just won't die. I've cut out frames from 2" thick oak boards that are glued up and this is the only tool that I use to cut out 1/4" aluminum cores. You just have to go slow and I use a block of paraffin was touched to the blade every so often for lubrication. The nice thing about scroll saws is that the blades are cheap. I don't worry about using up 4-5 blades when cutting g10 because a six-pack is only a buck fifty or so.  

#5 Toby Beswick

Toby Beswick
  • 1 posts
  • LocationBlackpool

Posted 07 February 2017 - 07:37 PM

I have the Record Power scroll saw, it's still going good after about 1 year without any problems. I cut out about 10 frames a day.

The saw has variable speed to, if you ever wanted to cut metal

#6 brucered

brucered

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 February 2017 - 07:46 PM

I have the Record Power scroll saw, it's still going good after about 1 year without any problems. I cut out about 10 frames a day.
The saw has variable speed to, if you ever wanted to cut metal

How thick of metal are you able to cut? I have debated on trying 1/8" aluminum to make some cores.

#7 Viper010

Viper010

2000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 2,053 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 08 February 2017 - 02:47 PM

Up to about 1/4" alu should be fine. Use some candle wax for lube and go slow. 3 to 5 teeth touching the material at any one time, preferably.

--Click to Remove Ads--