#1 RyanL

RyanL

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 224 posts
  • LocationDUBUQUE, IOWA

Posted 26 July 2016 - 12:50 PM

POPULAR

At the MWST I was able to grab the Scorpion and my wife grabbed the RangerOTT.  The material is really nice.  Based off of seeing Bill's demos and letting my nearly 2yr old son use it as a hammer to distract him during the tournament, I can say the durability is good.  The texture is a little different than I was expecting.  For some reason I had thought they were going to have a grip similar to an orange or grapefruit but they're smoother than that.  Not slippery just smoother.  The ergonamics of them hold well in the hand.  Obviously I've been able to shoot with the two I have but I was able to hold all but the TAC Hammer.  Interestingly, TruthorNothing and I noticed that the new HTS is a little thicker than the ballistic resin version.  The grip seemed the same though.  And I got to watch Deranda Hays(God I hope I'm spelling that right) shoot the gator clamps on a wire frame all weekend.  I didn't get to touch or operate them so the best I can say is they did exactly what they are advertised to do.

I did support Bill's campaign and chose the Top Shot.  I got to hold a Top Shot at the tournament and Bill even offered to let me take it, along with the two we had already grabbed.  I really liked the hold but I didn't want to be greedy and I already have one on the way.  Plus, I saw that a new shooter at the tournament got it and that made me happy.  The other option with that perk was the RangerOTT.  This and the Scorpion were the other two frames I really wanted to get from the campaign so I'm happy to have them.  However I may have to order another Scorpion, more on that later.  At first hold I noticed how big the throat of the frame was and felt that pinch grip was out of the question for most shooters.  Thankfully, I'm a thumb support shooter and that felt great.  I shot it some at the tournament but did most testing at home.  That's were I changed my mind about pinch grip.  It was very comfortable and well balanced.  Not digging into your hand.  At first glance of this frame you may not see it but after shooting it a bit you can tell Bill spent some time on ergonomics with this design.  If this shape was just uniformly made on a router table, with that big of a throat shooting pinch grip my hand would be in pain after 20 shots.  Thumbs up Bill.

The Scorpion.  I started shooting slingshots TTF and have officially converted to OTT.  However, if there was one frame to convert me back, or at the least keep me interested in TTF it was going to be the Scorpion.  And it has.  Like I said I grabbed this for myself but my wife shot with it a little at the tournament before we left for home.  She did really well and she did it in front of Bill.  Well it has became hers.  So we'll have to share or I'll have to order my own cause I love this thing too.  I noticed not all Scorpions are the same.  He has a thumb support design(the one you can order from Milbros) and this pinch grip design.  And I think he picked the right one to sell to the masses.  When my wife grab this I'm thinking it's going to be too big.  WRONG!  with how well this thing fits the hand and fills in to the webbing of your hand, it should fit anyone.  I think my 7yr old could shoot this frame.  Even the slight grove to guide your figure to the pinky hole helps lock your hand in place but also gives you a consistent grip which translates to consistent accuracy.  Anyway, while testing it at home with my preferred band set, ammo, draw length, anchor and aiming point I was consistently high.  Logic told me to raise my anchor but it was uncomfortably close to my eye then.  So I got use to aiming about 6inches low of the target.  Then, for fun, I tried to mimic Bill.  Really all that meant was to change my pouch hold from thumb up to thumb down.  HOLY CRAP I would have crushed everyone at that tournament!  It was magical. I'll leave it at that.  I checked with Bill on DIY mods and he said the material will be fine so I'm planning to ad an aiming dimp in the near future.

Picture Time:

20160726_1007341.jpg

The Pocket Predator symbol looks great.

20160726_1005241.jpg

RangerOTT size comparison to my SPS.  Look how big that throat is.

20160726_1005491.jpg

Scorpion size comparison to my SPS

20160726_1006361.jpg

Look at the curvature of this thing.  Make sense why these molds had to be right.

As you can tell I like these slingshots.  I like them more that my wife is impressed with them too.  She is a hard person to impress, has no interest in slingshots, shoots very little but sees and feels the quality of the design.  Even pointing some design features out to me.  Weather you were able to partake in a perk for supporting Bill or not, these will be well worth it to purchase for you collection.    

#2 Genoa Slingshot

Genoa Slingshot

Italian Match Lighter

• Registered
  • 977 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 26 July 2016 - 01:59 PM

Great review! Thank you :)

#3 wquiles

wquiles
  • Registered
  • 24 posts
  • LocationDFW, TX

Posted 26 July 2016 - 02:05 PM

+1

Thanks for the great review and the photos :)

• Tag likes this

#4 truthornothing

truthornothing

750 Post Club

• +Member
  • 915 posts
  • LocationChampaign Il, USA

Posted 26 July 2016 - 02:27 PM

Great review. I have the Milbro also as you know but I shoot it with a choke grip. It locks perfectly in my knuckles and will only fit one way. I will contrast the two in my write up. It is a sweet frame for sure and worth the wait. 

Edited by truthornothing, 26 July 2016 - 02:50 PM.

#5 sharp eye

sharp eye

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 384 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 26 July 2016 - 02:47 PM

Thanks for the interesting review. How the molded Scorpion weight feels compared to a slingshot about same size but made from wood?

• Tag likes this

#6 RyanL

RyanL

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 224 posts
  • LocationDUBUQUE, IOWA

Posted 26 July 2016 - 03:10 PM

Thanks for the interesting review. How the molded Scorpion weight feels compared to a slingshot about same size but made from wood?

It's probably heavier than most wood types. 

I conservatively own maybe 20 frames with a mixture of woods, g10, HDPE, metal core, ballistic resin and glass filled nylon materials.  So with that knowledge, I'd guess it's the heaviest slingshot I own.  However, it's also the largest with the most girth.  Because of it's comfort and ergonomics I don't really notice it's weight though.   

• Tag likes this

#7 sharp eye

sharp eye

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 384 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 26 July 2016 - 05:20 PM

Thanks, I purchased the molded Scorpion and I was concern about the weight,  I don't have experience with this material and  I though that the frame  could be too light.

• Tag likes this

#8 Tag

Tag

3000 Post Club

• Silver Sponsor Silver Sponsor
  • 3,415 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 26 July 2016 - 05:57 PM

Great review Ryan

#9 truthornothing

truthornothing

750 Post Club

• +Member
  • 915 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 06:11 PM

Thanks, I purchased the molded Scorpion and I was concern about the weight,  I don't have experience with this material and  I though that the frame  could be too light.

It weighs just over 5 OZ 

#10 sharp eye

sharp eye

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 384 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 26 July 2016 - 06:50 PM

It weighs just over 5 OZ 

Thank you for the info.

• Tag likes this

#11 Imperial

Imperial

HOBBYIST-SOPHOMORIC-JACKA$$

• Registered
  • 8,108 posts
  • LocationHELLPERIAL, MEXIFORNIA

Posted 26 July 2016 - 07:37 PM

i think im going to start saving to buy a scorpion. your photos sold me on it. 

#12 Ibojoe

Ibojoe

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 27 July 2016 - 05:46 AM

Nice review. Well written. Well said.
  • Tag likes this

#13 ghost0311/8541

ghost0311/8541

2000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 2,964 posts
  • LocationUS MARINE, HUNTER ,BACKWOODSMAN , IN FLORIDA

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:18 AM

looking forward to geting the sere i am hoping soon geting ready to go shoot gar with a bow in a few weeks but would love to do it with the sere.

#14 truthornothing

truthornothing

750 Post Club

• +Member
  • 915 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:22 AM

I am going to put some slingbow bands on mine this weekend and see how she shoots arrows. I need to get a bow fishing rig. 

looking forward to geting the sere i am hoping soon geting ready to go shoot gar with a bow in a few weeks but would love to do it with the sere.

• Tag likes this

#15 RyanL

RyanL

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 224 posts
  • LocationDUBUQUE, IOWA

Posted 27 July 2016 - 10:30 AM

That sounds like fun.  If you would have only attended the tournament again this year you could have probably gotten a SERE early.  Just pulling your chain.

#16 Mr. P

Mr. P

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 245 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 27 July 2016 - 11:10 AM

Thanks for the review, Ryan.

I haven't had time to post much of anything about the tournament. Like you, I received a Scorpion (right hand hold) from Bill. He walked over to me and said "Mr.P , that Scorpion on the table over there belongs to you". WOW....how cool of Bill. I have wanted one since I first saw them.

I can certainly vouch for your review. I have really come to enjoy smaller slingshots these days, but the Scorpion is soo comfortable that I will be using it daily. It just feel right in the hand.  The material, weight, feel, and performance is spot-on. Bill certainly has invested a lot in his new line-up.

For those waiting on one......you will be very happy!!

Thanks Ryan, and of course Bill.

Mr.P

#17 RyanL

RyanL

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 224 posts
  • LocationDUBUQUE, IOWA

Posted 27 July 2016 - 11:26 AM

Thanks for the review, Ryan.

I haven't had time to post much of anything about the tournament. Like you, I received a Scorpion (right hand hold) from Bill. He walked over to me and said "Mr.P , that Scorpion on the table over there belongs to you". WOW....how cool of Bill. I have wanted one since I first saw them.

I can certainly vouch for your review. I have really come to enjoy smaller slingshots these days, but the Scorpion is soo comfortable that I will be using it daily. It just feel right in the hand.  The material, weight, feel, and performance is spot-on. Bill certainly has invested a lot in his new line-up.

For those waiting on one......you will be very happy!!

Thanks Ryan, and of course Bill.

Mr.P

I got to watched that happen.  His generosity makes you forget that he's trying to sell these and make money.

#18 ghost0311/8541

ghost0311/8541

2000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 2,964 posts
  • LocationUS MARINE, HUNTER ,BACKWOODSMAN , IN FLORIDA

Posted 27 July 2016 - 12:45 PM

That sounds like fun.  If you would have only attended the tournament again this year you could have probably gotten a SERE early.  Just pulling your chain.

my plans were to be there but as always some thing took its place had to take kids to church camp which is only about 20 min from nathen shop i normal text him if i can stop by but was really busy this year at the camp with the kids and did not have time to do that either.

• Tag likes this

#19 Toolshed

Toolshed

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 519 posts
  • LocationIndependence, KY

Posted 28 July 2016 - 09:58 AM

I received the HTS model.  LOVE IT!!  I like that I can try TTF or OTT with it.  I had never shot TTF until I got this sling.

I will say it is a bit large for my mini-hands, but I still shot the whole tourney with it without problems.

Bill's generosity and his family being just plain good darned folk was worth the trip for me.

• Tag likes this

#20 wolfman52

wolfman52
  • Registered
  • 5 posts
  • Locationlongville louisiana

Posted 29 July 2016 - 12:46 PM

where can i get one of the scropion ss  i have looked on his web page and they are not listed can someone point me in the right way please

--Click to Remove Ads--