Slingshots Forum banner

Hunting band setups ?

8K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  Greek sfedona 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi everyone.
I have been curious on what people's hunting setups are band-wise ? What do you guys find works well for you ?.
Tonight I made a single layer TBG bandset @ 1 × 9inch . Would you guys say this is suitable for hunting small game ?
ea54d065faa9ca872dfd66607bc7f614.jpg

I usually use tubes for target shooting so that's why I'm curious , also what ammo do you use with your setups ?.

Thanks

Scout$hooter

See less See more
#10 ·
In my opinion 3/8 steel is too small for squirrels I know you can take squirrels with a properly placed shot if you've got enough FPS with 3/8 steel.. but I feel safer using something a bit heavier in case my shot is slightly off... just my opinion
Thanks for your reply! And I see what you mean ,shot placement is critical. What sized ammo do you tend to use for hunting applications?

Scout$hooter

#13 ·
Normally I use TBG 30mm-25mm tapered, 6.5" cut length (5.5" active length) 3/8" steel. I take rabbit, snowshoe hare, grey squirrel, pheasant, grouse, duck, and geese all day long with this band set. But I recently switched over to 27mm-22mm. Gamekeeper John swears by it so I figured I'd give it a try.

I made a few band sets and tested one today on target. The lighter draw seems to help actually with accuracy, and they still have plenty of power. I am going fishing in the morning and will be trying them on game. I usually bag a mallard and a squirrel, or two. I will let you know how they work :)

Sent from my B1-770 using Tapatalk

Reactions: theTurk
#14 ·
Normally I use TBG 30mm-25mm tapered, 6.5" cut length (5.5" active length) 3/8" steel. I take rabbit, snowshoe hare, grey squirrel, pheasant, grouse, duck, and geese all day long with this band set. But I recently switched over to 27mm-22mm. Gamekeeper John swears by it so I figured I'd give it a try.

I made a few band sets and tested one today on target. The lighter draw seems to help actually with accuracy, and they still have plenty of power. I am going fishing in the morning and will be trying them on game. I usually bag a mallard and a squirrel, or two. I will let you know how they work :)

What ammo do you use with that newly discovered band set up ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 ·

What ammo do you use with that newly discovered band set up ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same...3/8" (9.5mm) steel

#16 ·
That band set is the same as I used to use when I first started using flats for hunting...maybe a bit longer...and it is more than capable of taking small game...I only shortened my bandsets because I was more accurate drawing to my cheek than I was at 3/4 butterfly....I lost some fps...but shot placement is more important when hunting, IMO....

Reactions: pult421
#17 ·
Hi everyone.
I have been curious on what people's hunting setups are band-wise ? What do you guys find works well for you ?.
Tonight I made a single layer TBG bandset @ 1 × 9inch . Would you guys say this is suitable for hunting small game ?

I usually use tubes for target shooting so that's why I'm curious , also what ammo do you use with your setups ?.
Thanks
Scout$hooter
That band set is the same as I used to use when I first started using flats for hunting...maybe a bit longer...and it is more than capable of taking small game...I only shortened my bandsets because I was more accurate drawing to my cheek than I was at 3/4 butterfly....I lost some fps...but shot placement is more important when hunting, IMO....
i once heard its better to miss with power than to actually hit with less power. I kinda see how it makes sense. But still i scratch my head like wahhh??

#18 ·
Hi everyone.

Thanks
Scout$hooter
i once heard its better to miss with power than to actually hit with less power. I kinda see how it makes sense. But still i scratch my head like wahhh??
Not sure where you heard that, but I strongly disagree...IMO, shot placement is just as important. As long as you have adequate power...and the band set you have are powerful enough...especially with a head-shot....which IMO is the only guaranteed way of a humane kill....yes a heartshot will kill...but what if you hit the animal in the hind leg? More power isn't going to do anything more than a pass through and the animal may get away.. and suffer....
Same can be applied to rifle....what would be better, hunting a deer with a zeroed-in, scoped, 30-30.....or a .50 muzzleloader with no sights at all?

Again, this is my opinion, but I'm sure most people would agree

#19 ·
That being said assuming you have adequate power to kill with a head-shot...you shouldn't be hunting with a weapon that doesn't have enough power to kill in the first place...or if you aren't a good enough shot to hit the animal in the head

#20 ·
So I just started a new post on rubber length and its relations to
power, so all things equal if you have , let's use tubes here for our
example, and your pulling each to 500% which would give you more
power, one using 6" of tubing or the one using 8" of tubing? And why
Thanks, Nut

#21 ·
Thanks, Nut
I think the longer bands would throw the ammo harder and faster...I used to shoot 3/4 butterfly and switched to shorter bands for more accuracy....but, I think I gave up speed when I did that.
If you cut the bands the same width but different lengths...and stretched them both to 500%...they may feel like the same draw weight, but the load is traveling further under the power of the bands with the longer ones....it would make sense that there would be more energy put into the ammo...therefore carrying it further with more speed and power...but, I may be wrong

#22 ·
Thanks, Nut
I think the longer bands would throw the ammo harder and faster...I used to shoot 3/4 butterfly and switched to shorter bands for more accuracy....but, I think I gave up speed when I did that.
If you cut the bands the same width but different lengths...and stretched them both to 500%...they may feel like the same draw weight, but the load is traveling further under the power of the bands with the longer ones....it would make sense that there would be more energy put into the ammo...therefore carrying it further with more speed and power...but, I may be wrong

More rubber should equal more energy

#23 ·
Thanks, Nut

More rubber should equal more energy

#25 ·
Mikmag, thanks , this makes since, guess I'll give up some speed cause no butterfly draw for me ????
Accurate shot placement is more important than power/speed.... if hunting, you DO require adequate killing power....but, anymore than "enough to do the job" isn't necessary...a good smack right behind the ear and it's lights out...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.