• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Pellethuntr

Pellethuntr
  • Registered
  • 33 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:34 PM

Hi guys.. I've been working on this cool little bow the last two days and I thought I would show you all progress as of now.. it's made from 1/4 in. plywood glued and screwed together.. I have a slap guard and a wrist brace as this thing has a lot of power.. from my bow knowledge I would say at a 30 in. draw it's about 40-45 lbs.. I am looking to get 65 out of it and I deffinetely need some different bands becuz I am unsure of how well these perform.. the arrow travels very slow for the amount of draw weight.. any suggestions on how to improve??

http://i854.photobuc...pg?t=1294252060

#2 bikermikearchery

bikermikearchery

250 Post Club

• Silver Sponsor Silver Sponsor
  • 275 posts
  • LocationCalifornia USA

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:39 PM

nice design.

#3 NaturalFork

NaturalFork

Shooting a slingshot is the greatest form of meditation.

• Bronze Sponsor Bronze Sponsor
  • 5,644 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:44 PM

Cool! I like it.

#4 PandaMan

PandaMan

Panda... with a slingshot?!?

• Registered
  • 823 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:58 PM

It looks like a good design. You don't necessarily need a stronger draw weight. It isn't the draw weight that effects the speed of the projectile, it's how fast the bands return to their original length after stretching... I'm sure someone will explain this better than me, but from what I understand, what I said is correct.
Good luck with making it work thoughPosted Image

#5 PJB21

PJB21

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 108 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:54 PM

you could try shortening the length of the bands for a faster snap, however this may decrease the bandlife and/or draw size. otherwise look for different materials that have a quick snap, theraband is always cited as being good, however can be expensive to get. while it may seem a bit cheap rubber bands do a good job in my experience, just chain them together (several tutorials around) i find its faster than tubes however doesnt last as long, that said its very cheap to just replace one band so the overall band life can be quite long.

looks like quite a nice slingbow hope it shoots well for you.

oh and a side note it looks like the bands are different lengths, they could be an issue since they will contract at different rates resulting in a loss of accuracy, just something to think about if that is the case =)

#6 Pellethuntr

Pellethuntr
  • Registered
  • 33 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:48 PM

Ah yes they do appear in the picture to be different lengths you are right.. but it's an illusion they are actually the same length.. I believe the bow limbs being at different angles ( to account for centering the arrow above your hand) gives it this effect.. Any suggestions for something with a quicker snap while still maintaining a heavy draw weight?? The reason I want the draw weight so bad is not only for raw power but also because I would like to deer hunt with this if the DEC in my state says it's ok.. and the laws here state that it must be at least 35 lbs to hunt with

#7 PJB21

PJB21

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 108 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:28 AM

just simply add more bands to it if you arent concerned about a heavy draw weight, will make it faster and more powerful also

#8 Brooklyn00003

Brooklyn00003

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 691 posts
  • Locationlondon

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:02 AM

Are you using rollers there? If no that slows the rubber down and, will break them fast.

I would try 1745 tubes if you want tubes only on it or thera band gold if flats ok.

That thing that holds the tube up That looks like it will break the tubes when they return.

1745's you could use like 4 stripes per site so it's 1 continous you just loop them. You can see what I mean on dankung slingshots that is not fixed at the fork

Also I would use a bigger diameter for that hook that you connect the tubes to so there will be less wear. .

You can draw 1745's to a higher % then thera gold so they do perform well and you will have your desired draw weight as well. I dont know how long they last but a roller sure helps.

#9 Pellethuntr

Pellethuntr
  • Registered
  • 33 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:23 AM

Thanks for the help.. I am not currently using rollers as this was just a quick no money involved build but what I did was round the top pieces over so there is no contact points that are sharp or flat.. What is 1745 and where can I purchase it?? I plan to make another bow out of better looking stronger wood in the near future but I didn't wanna spend the time if I couldn't use it for what i wanted.. the next one will have rollers.. are there any specific kinds of rollers you guys use and would recommend?? I was thinking that an idler pulley would work well as it is free spinning and generally large in diameter

#10 NoSugarRob

NoSugarRob

Resigned

• Banned
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationEngland UK

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:21 PM

video please.

#11 Brooklyn00003

Brooklyn00003

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 691 posts
  • Locationlondon

Posted 07 January 2011 - 04:44 PM

1745 is a very popular Chinese tube Dankung sells them from China pretty cheap or in Usa from trulytexas. I would use something wide for rollers if you want to use the tubes looped.

#12 Devoman

Devoman

750 Post Club

• Bronze Sponsor Bronze Sponsor
  • 997 posts
  • LocationNorth Woods of Michigan

Posted 07 January 2011 - 05:34 PM

I like it, I was thinking about something like this for my Carp bow, but with rollers and a reel.

#13 Pellethuntr

Pellethuntr
  • Registered
  • 33 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:18 PM

Thanks all you have been very helpful and hopefully ill be getting some new bands very soon.. I will keep you updated on this project and some of the other ones im planning to do in the near future

--Click to Remove Ads--