#1 Hrawk

Hrawk

Hedonistic Decedance

• Gold Sponsor Gold Sponsor
  • 6,391 posts
  • LocationNSW Australia

Posted 26 December 2010 - 07:27 PM

Hi everyone,

This morning I made another boardcut based on a free design from the forums. I decided to photograph each step in the hope that this might prove useful to new builders.
Special thanks to Mxred for his fantastic design.

Step 1
Print out your chosen design and glue it to the piece of timber being used. A spray on adhesive can be used, here I have used a glue stick designed for paper. You don't want a strong glue as you need to remove the design later on.
Posted Image

Step 2
Cut out your design with a saw. I have used a jigsaw here but you can easily achieve the same result using hand tools. A coping saw would be a great choice for anybody starting out.
Posted Image

Step 3
Tidy up the frame. Most if not all saws will leave large cut marks or scratches on the work. Using files or a sander remove these marks and smooth out the frame.
Posted Image

Step 4
Remove the pattern and sand some more. Make sure all lines are nice and crisp and you have your final shape for the frame.
Posted Image

Step 5
Round and smooth the edges. Here I have used a router but the same result can be achieved with files and sandpaper.
(Note: I had the router speed too high for this and I have burnt the timber in places. This is not a problem with hand shaping and sanding)
Posted Image

Step 6
Cut your grooves for securing the bands. Again I have used a router but this is just as easily done with hand tools. A round file works great.
Give everything a final sanding ensuring your forks are nice and smooth.
The frame is now ready for finishing.
Posted Image

The finished product after a good soak in Linseed Oil

Posted Image

Edited by Hrawk, 21 November 2011 - 09:16 PM.

#2 mxred91

mxred91

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 785 posts
  • LocationBolingbrook, IL

Posted 26 December 2010 - 08:19 PM

Awesome job Hrawk, I am interested to hear what you think after shooting. Great idea doing a tutorial for those that have not used a paper pattern. It is interesting for me to see it done with a router, I use files rasps and sandpaper. I have a router, just don't like using it.

Is that bubinga? I am anxious to see it finished.

#3 Hrawk

Hrawk

Hedonistic Decedance

• 6,391 posts
  • LocationNSW Australia

Posted 26 December 2010 - 08:37 PM

Awesome job Hrawk, I am interested to hear what you think after shooting. Great idea doing a tutorial for those that have not used a paper pattern. It is interesting for me to see it done with a router, I use files rasps and sandpaper. I have a router, just don't like using it.

Is that bubinga? I am anxious to see it finished.

Cheers buddy! I went through all the designs and yours was the one that appealed to me the most.

Yup, that's Bubinga.

It's currently soaking out the back in a tray of linseed oil. I'll get some pics happening when it's dry.

Thanks again for the design.

#4 lucifer93

lucifer93

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 609 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

Posted 27 December 2010 - 12:58 AM

Great thread, i love a good step by step photo tutorial :D

#5 Hrawk

Hrawk

Hedonistic Decedance

• 6,391 posts
  • LocationNSW Australia

Posted 27 December 2010 - 01:20 AM

Here we have the finished product after a good 4 hour soak in linseed oil.

It will still need a few days to cure until I can strap it up and shoot with it, but man does it fit the hand well!

Attached Thumbnails

• Hrawk_07.JPG

#6 lucifer93

lucifer93

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 609 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

Posted 27 December 2010 - 02:02 AM

That looks stunning, :wub: gorgeous :wub: and very beautiful.

#7 CRO-josip14

CRO-josip14
  • Registered
  • 38 posts
  • Locationcroatia

Posted 27 December 2010 - 03:43 AM

awesome job.....great design...I will make slingshot on this design....sorry about my bad English I am from Croatia....

#8 Hrawk

Hrawk

Hedonistic Decedance

• 6,391 posts
  • LocationNSW Australia

Posted 27 December 2010 - 04:27 AM

That looks stunning, :wub: gorgeous :wub: and very beautiful.

Cheers man! My first board cut using hardwood instead of plywood!

awesome job.....great design...I will make slingshot on this design....sorry about my bad English I am from Croatia....

Thank you for the compliment. Your english is fine. Yeah, it's a great design, I can't put it down!

#9 frogman

frogman

Banned

• Banned
  • 342 posts
  • Locationmarianna fl.

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:47 AM

Very nice detailed discription. Well done.....

#10 BaneofSmallGame

BaneofSmallGame

Here to help and learn

• Silver Sponsor Silver Sponsor
  • 782 posts
  • LocationUpstate New York, USA

Posted 27 December 2010 - 11:37 AM

Very nice result Hrawk!!! .....and an excellent pictorial as well, many don't really realize that many of the new members know very little about the quite simple process of making a boardcut. Thank you for taking the time to clear it up, I'm sure you will help the masses with it.

I really love the design, and the linseed oil did very well to bring out a rich coloration. You've got a winner! :wub:

Take Care - John

#11 mxred91

mxred91

750 Post Club

• Registered
  • 785 posts
  • LocationBolingbrook, IL

Posted 27 December 2010 - 07:44 PM

Hrawk the downside is you might have a hard time going back to plywood after that one. What a beauty, really nicely figured piece of Bubinga. You did a great job. When I saw the scorch marks from the router I remembered. The same thing happened to me when I used bubinga for a bow riser, but it was from a drum sander. I think bubinga may be prone to scorch. I will have to give linseed oil a try, really nice finish.

#12 Dayhiker

Dayhiker

Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz

• Bronze Sponsor Bronze Sponsor
  • 9,854 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 December 2010 - 08:49 PM

That is a GREAT slingshot! The design and workmanship are tops. :wub: :wub:

#13 Hrawk

Hrawk

Hedonistic Decedance

• 6,391 posts
  • LocationNSW Australia

Posted 27 December 2010 - 09:16 PM

Hrawk the downside is you might have a hard time going back to plywood after that one. What a beauty, really nicely figured piece of Bubinga. You did a great job. When I saw the scorch marks from the router I remembered. The same thing happened to me when I used bubinga for a bow riser, but it was from a drum sander. I think bubinga may be prone to scorch. I will have to give linseed oil a try, really nice finish.

Plywood, what's that ? I have permanently removed it from my vocabulary! Don't let me talk anyone out of it though, it is a readily available, cheap and very strong wood.

As far as the scorching goes, I had the router spinning way to fast. I'm pretty sure this would apply to any hardwood, not just bubinga. I should have experimented on the offcuts first. I have now done that and at about 4000rpm (as opposed to 11,000rpm which I used on this) there is no scorching at all.

Thanks for the positive comments people, I'm surprised myself in the way this one turned out.

#14 Sam

Sam

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

• Bronze Sponsor Bronze Sponsor
  • 1,425 posts
  • Location"Great" Britain

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:48 PM

Excellent tutorial with great results - I like it! Posted Image

#15 xplicit86

xplicit86
  • Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:33 PM

Print out your chosen design

Hi,

just wanted to know if there is some kind of database/website were I can get some designs that work. Since I'm new to the slingshot game I think I need some input before I can design my own frames.
Help is much appreciated! :)

Cheers,
XP

Edit: after some time i finally found " Shared Slingshot Designs". Nevertheless...if there are any additional websites, please let me know :)

#16 e~shot

e~shot

~Pouch Maker~

• 12,810 posts
  • LocationSri Lanka

Posted 26 April 2011 - 11:15 PM

Thanks for the tutorial, good post again.

#17 GIRLYPANTS

GIRLYPANTS
  • Registered
  • 36 posts
  • LocationSouth of England

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:44 PM

Very informative post, nice to read and look at your skills at work, good job

#18 Hrawk

Hrawk

Hedonistic Decedance

• 6,391 posts
  • LocationNSW Australia

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:27 PM

Post moved to the new tutorial section.

#19 Skillmaster

Skillmaster
  • Registered
  • 9 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:50 PM

That is a good idea I used it and it was a useful.

#20 Hrawk

Hrawk

Hedonistic Decedance

• 6,391 posts
  • LocationNSW Australia

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:58 PM

Cheers man, I'm glad you found it usefull.

Here is the same frame, 12 months later. Linseed finishes just get better and better as time goes by.

Posted Image

--Click to Remove Ads--