#1 treefork

treefork

Focus

• +Member
  • 18,512 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:40 PM

POPULAR

Here is a informative video on everything from building a catch box , how to aim and shoot , making a band jig , cutting and tying bands and tubes and  how to attach . The most comprehensive slingshot informational video out there  . Check it out .

Edited by treefork, 01 March 2015 - 05:41 PM.

#2 Tag

Tag

3000 Post Club

• Silver Sponsor Silver Sponsor
  • 3,499 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 01 March 2015 - 06:20 PM

I agree Treefork, Bill is an excellent instructor. Thanks Treefork for posting.

#3 Skag

Skag
  • 5 posts
  • LocationOrange County CA

Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:37 AM

Fantastic video.  Literally any question I might have had was answered.  :D

• Tag likes this

#4 SteelBallViking

SteelBallViking

250 Post Club

• 280 posts
  • LocationMurphy NC

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:25 AM

Well worth a hour of time spent, I think this video should be pinned in the introduction page for new shooters to watch.

Edited by RatGod13, 02 March 2015 - 06:26 AM.

• Tag likes this

#5 Urban Fisher

Urban Fisher

250 Post Club

• 396 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 March 2015 - 09:10 AM

As soon as I saw this video hit Youtube I watched the whole thing. A very thorough explanation of how to get started in this wondeful hobby!  Bill thanks so much for putting something like this together. You are a true ambassador of this sport.

• Tag likes this

#6 Nobodo

Nobodo

Resigned

• Resigned
  • 795 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 05:34 PM

I've seen this before, but have wondered...

at 9:26 Bill is demonstrating OTT shooting, and says that one of the problems with this type of slingshot is you're never sure where your elevation points are.

I haven't noticed that with OTT; can somebody explain what is meant by that?

Thanks,

Mark.

#7 Aefr

Aefr

100 Post Club

• 135 posts
  • Locationunknown

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:53 PM

at 9:26 Bill is demonstrating OTT shooting, and says that one of the problems with this type of slingshot is you're never sure where your elevation points are.

Thanks,
Mark.

I agree with you there mark, those are his thoughts on the matter, I don't have that problem either. This is this guys way of the slingshot and he was nice enough to share it with us. I was going to do something similar to this and post it in the art of shooting forum.

Edited by Aefr, 02 March 2015 - 11:36 PM.

• Tag likes this

#8 Dayhiker

Dayhiker

Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz

• Bronze Sponsor Bronze Sponsor
  • 11,196 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 March 2015 - 06:24 AM

Comprehensive indeed. This should get a sticky in the newbie forum. Bill is a top man in all aspects of the sport and very generous with his knowledge and help. I have learned a lot from him and so have many others. 

#9 Charles

Charles

4000+ Post Club

• Moderators Moderators
  • 10,749 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 03 March 2015 - 11:08 AM

Comprehensive indeed. This should get a sticky in the newbie forum. Bill is a top man in all aspects of the sport and very generous with his knowledge and help. I have learned a lot from him and so have many others.

Done!

Cheers ... Charles

#10 Bill Hays

Bill Hays

3000 Post Club

• Vendors Supporting Vendor
  • 3,152 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:20 PM

Okay, now I'm blushing a little... Thanks guys... 

When I started in slingshots I had a LOT of questions and it was difficult to find some of the answers... so I've been trying to make it easier on others to get usable knowledge more quickly... If I might suggest one more thing though... if you could find a way to copy/paste or just use the html from my FAQ page at: http://pocketpredato...r.com/FAQ.html 

That pretty well covers a lot of the most asked questions I had as a beginner, and from what I can tell it answers most in the newbie section here as well... The question/answers that are product/brand specific could be cut out and I think it'd work pretty well on the first post of this "101" thread...

#11 calinb

calinb

250 Post Club

• +Member
  • 257 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 04 April 2015 - 12:47 PM

I agree with you there mark, those are his thoughts on the matter, I don't have that problem either. This is this guys way of the slingshot and he was nice enough to share it with us. I was going to do something similar to this and post it in the art of shooting forum.

Thanks,

Mark.

Mark, Aefr,

I just watched Bill's video to learn all the stuff I never figured out as a kid! I think Bill was referring to the side effect of the over-the-top (OTT) bands slingshot having a narrower fork than the through-the-forks design (TTF). At least the OTT slingshot that Bill demonstrated was narrower. I don't know about others, because an OTT slingshot doesn't necessarily have to have a narrower fork than a TTF slingshot. The OTT band routing and anchor point enables narrowness. (Even with a narrower fork, the OTT bands and projectile don't get fouled.)

When the "sighting fork" side of the slingshot lies closer to the centerline of the fork and the "internal ballistic" trajectory of the projectile (its path before it's released from the pouch), as it does in the OTT model, a shooter "must hold" under (hold a sight picture on the target where the target position is in "mid-air" above the fork) to hit anything but very distant targets. "Holding under" like this is more challenging than holding "dead on" or nearly dead-on.

But I'm recently "born again" to slingshots and, other than being an engineer into many types of guns and shooting sports, what do I know? 

I haven't owned a slingshot in nearly 50 years but recently bought a slingshot from Wally World to shoot some fishing weights and leader lines over tree limbs that needed pruning (over 50' up, in some cases). I used the light haul lines to pull 550 paracord and a chainsaw chain style survival saw up over the limbs. It worked great! (Got me hooked on sling shots.)

It also worked to prune the trees.  ;)

Edited by calinb, 04 April 2015 - 01:44 PM.

#12 jazz

jazz

2000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 2,436 posts
  • LocationBH

Posted 04 April 2015 - 04:15 PM

hi treefork, thanks for posting this video here!

hi Bill, thanks for your efforts to share your knowledge with us!

cheers,

jazz

#13 JRSC

JRSC
  • 45 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 22 May 2015 - 02:04 PM

It might be a dumb question but something I've wondered. Does the distance of the prongs on a slingshot help with accuracy? Kind of like the brace height on a bow?

#14 ghost0311/8541

ghost0311/8541

3000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 3,003 posts
  • LocationUS MARINE, HUNTER ,BACKWOODSMAN , IN FLORIDA

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:00 PM

How are you shooting fork up or fork side ways.

#15 JRSC

JRSC
  • 45 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:19 PM

How are you shooting fork up or fork side ways.

Sideways and kind of use the tip of the side of the prong as my front sight post.

#16 ghost0311/8541

ghost0311/8541

3000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 3,003 posts
  • LocationUS MARINE, HUNTER ,BACKWOODSMAN , IN FLORIDA

Posted 22 May 2015 - 09:30 PM

Yeah that's how I shoot too.

#17 calinb

calinb

250 Post Club

• +Member
  • 257 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 09 June 2015 - 03:02 AM

Mark, Aefr,I agree with you there mark, those are his thoughts on the matter, I don't have that problem either. This is this guys way of the slingshot and he was nice enough to share it with us. I was going to do something similar to this and post it in the art of shooting forum.

Thanks,

Mark.

I just watched Bill's video to learn all the stuff I never figured out as a kid! I think Bill was referring to the side effect of the over-the-top (OTT) bands slingshot having a narrower fork than the through-the-forks design (TTF). At least the OTT slingshot that Bill demonstrated was narrower...<snip>

It's as I thought. I watched the video again and Bill discusses that it IS the typically narrower forks of the OTT shooter, compared to a TTF shooter, that makes finding elevation points more difficult. His discussion starts at 9:56 in the video. Narrower forks when used with his single line aiming system produce a higher point of impact (POI) relative to the aiming "line" than wider forks. Thus, a shooter must hold the sighting "line" under the point they are targeting to hit. Judging how much to hold under at various ranges (and without additional dimension reference aids at the target, in particular) can be challenging.

#18 NoamAdd

NoamAdd
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, California

Posted 13 March 2016 - 11:02 AM

I've watched this video a few times and found it quite inspiring. The guy makes it seem possible and is optimistic about the outcome for those that do the work. The mark of a great teacher.

--Click to Remove Ads--