• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#1 Rock and Shoot

Rock and Shoot
  • Registered
  • 33 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:08 PM

I live in a very quite place. But lately there has been someone sneaking into the garages at night to steal stuff. Two nights ago one of my neighbors woke up after hearing a noise and saw the guy running out his backyard.  I'm afraid I may find someone stealing at my house and since I'm not interested in firearms (plus they are illegal here) I want to now which ammo is strong enough to defend my house and show him that slingshots can be serious business. Any suggestions?

#2 ZDP-189

ZDP-189

"Small, fat bear"

• Moderators Moderators
  • 3,404 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:11 PM

I believe that slingshots are a poor choice of weapon from practical and legal standpoints and there are many security options far more effective. None of my designs are intended to be used for this purpose.

#3 ERdept

ERdept

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 528 posts
  • LocationLA, California

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:25 PM

I believe that slingshots are a poor choice of weapon from practical and legal standpoints and there are many security options far more effective. None of my designs are intended to be used for this purpose.

Yes, dont' go out with a slingshot.

Just get a handgun or shotty. If you encounter this guy he may pull a knife or gun, and you're SOL.

This slings lead pretty well, Glock 21, and some 230 grain hollow points.

Posted Image

#4 Henry in Panama

Henry in Panama

Geezer Gang

• Moderators Moderators
  • 3,485 posts
  • LocationPanama

Posted 08 December 2010 - 11:14 PM

I live in a very quite place. But lately there has been someone sneaking into the garages at night to steal stuff. Two nights ago one of my neighbors woke up after hearing a noise and saw the guy running out his backyard. I'm afraid I may find someone stealing at my house and since I'm not interested in firearms (plus they are illegal here) I want to now which ammo is strong enough to defend my house and show him that slingshots can be serious business. Any suggestions?

Yep, if you don't already know which slingshot and which ammo you could use for self-defense, you shouldn't use any. IF YOU DO, then it should be the strongest bandset you can pull, the biggest lead ball that will fit in the pouch, and you should be able to hit a 3 inch target at 5~10 yards every shot, while pumped up on adrenalin and shaking like a leaf. If your government won't allow you to defend yourself with firearms, there is really no good active defense for the average person.

#5 Brewman

Brewman

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 224 posts
  • LocationNorth Eastern United States

Posted 08 December 2010 - 11:49 PM

WOW!!!!!!! This is happening everywhere???????? That is what your location says. You are living in fantasy land!!!!!!!! Wake up and smell the coffee. Let the POLICE handle their business. If you shoot someone not in your dwelling and not threatening you with serious bodily harm or death you will be charged with assault and battery by means of a dangerous weapon ( a felony in most jurisdictions) and you will be the one in jail. Next time the local government wants to raise more taxes to put more police on the streets you should vote yes. Also what are you going to do when your one shot fails and the felon stabs you to death with a large kitchen knife, assuming you are not caught by total suprise at 3A.M. in the morning waking up to 3 guys standing over your bed with a knife at your throat. Good luck.quote name='Rock and Shoot' timestamp='1291867727' post='41626']
I live in a very quite place. But lately there has been someone sneaking into the garages at night to steal stuff. Two nights ago one of my neighbors woke up after hearing a noise and saw the guy running out his backyard. I'm afraid I may find someone stealing at my house and since I'm not interested in firearms (plus they are illegal here) I want to now which ammo is strong enough to defend my house and show him that slingshots can be serious business. Any suggestions?
[/quote]

#6 crazyslingshot

crazyslingshot

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 285 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:22 AM

Slingshot is enough to kill a man within 15 meters(12 steel ball hits the head with powerful band).

But it's not a good defense weapon because of lack of threatening power.

And it's also difficult to control the power of it,with a slingshot, you either do no hurt to theif or kill him&her.

#7 Holzwurm

Holzwurm

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 215 posts
  • Locationnear Hamburg/Germany

Posted 09 December 2010 - 02:23 AM

I assume , that you are living in Germany or any other European country ?

Anyway , ....slingshots can be lethal weapons and using them against a person(even a criminal) would get you into serious trouble with local law enforcement .

Other than a handgun you only have the option to shoot into someones head and probably kill that person or shoot at his body , which might not stop him , ....a gunshot in the leg would also disable someone to take further action on you , a legshot from a catty would most likely not(unless you hit straight into the knee) !

Also a slingshot has a rather poor firing rate , you'd most likely only have ONE shot to be placed , and this even under high mental stress .

If I was in your shoe , I'd set up some kinda electronic alarms or even good old wire traps and call the cops instantly , when someone unwanted steps your ground .

And using any kind of weapons even against criminals is not allowed unless your own life or health is endangered during a particular situation , ......if you shoot at a burglar just carrying away your stuff no self defense cause would be granted and you'd be punished .

greetz , Holzwurm :wave:

#8 ERdept

ERdept

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 528 posts
  • LocationLA, California

Posted 09 December 2010 - 02:27 AM

WOW!!!!!!! This is happening everywhere???????? That is what your location says. You are living in fantasy land!!!!!!!! Wake up and smell the coffee. Let the POLICE handle their business. If you shoot someone not in your dwelling and not threatening you with serious bodily harm or death you will be charged with assault and battery by means of a dangerous weapon ( a felony in most jurisdictions) and you will be the one in jail. Next time the local government wants to raise more taxes to put more police on the streets you should vote yes. Also what are you going to do when your one shot fails and the felon stabs you to death with a large kitchen knife, assuming you are not caught by total suprise at 3A.M. in the morning waking up to 3 guys standing over your bed with a knife at your throat. Good luck.quote name='Rock and Shoot' timestamp='1291867727' post='41626']

i'd think the traditional weapons of self-defense, or offense, if guns aren't to your liking or illegal would work better than a slingshot. Those would be a knife, sword, baseball bat, etc.

if you really want to do the slinshot thing, as such a close range, i'd say lead or steel ball. Civillian confrontation distances mirror EXACTLY police confrontaton distances, 3-7 yards.

But a flashlight and whistle would probably work better. yell HALT, with the light on him and blow the whistle. The perp will likely run, away from you that is.

#9 Brewman

Brewman

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 224 posts
  • LocationNorth Eastern United States

Posted 09 December 2010 - 03:07 AM

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxxx

#10 Deimos

Deimos

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 03:49 AM

Don't attack any intruder if you're not willing to finish the job.
Its always self defence if its your story...

#11 BCLuxor

BCLuxor

"Crafter"

• Bronze Sponsor Bronze Sponsor
  • 1,872 posts
  • LocationMiddle England

Posted 09 December 2010 - 04:21 AM

I think if I read right lol ...You mean that you would like to catch the intruder before he commits the crime aka just about to put crowbar to your garage door? In which case you want to scare the f***r back to his swamp... I have done this with a group of teenagers throwing the pebbles from my front drive at the windows of my neighboors. I had a small rounders bat in my pocket and my slingshot in my hand with some big 10mm ammo. After plenty of pulling back the curtain and telling them to clear off only to get a load of mouth I went out and told them if they don't move im going to start throwing steel at them... at which point they tell me to go right ahead. Now this is where I give my advice if you want to scare anyone with a slingshot you got to make it LOUD so get them noisy old flatbands on and if like me you only want to scare off the idiot in question shoot materials that make lots of NOISE luckily for me it was sunday and all the bin bags were out I shot a couple rounds into the bags and wheelie bin by them making huge bangs... sufice to say they were gone with no reprocusions.
Anyhow be careful like the other member state. Police in England are varied in reaction. If these horrid little waste of time teenagers were to have reported me the police would have taken the issue seriously and the irony is I would have been the one in trouble, I would never recomend shooting anyone the legal impact of doing so would be huge i guess

#12 HOE

HOE

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 328 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 09 December 2010 - 04:42 AM

Take a long flat piece of steel and make a crude katana out of it, or sharpen an electrical conduit and make a spear(can be used to shoot darts too, aimed at eyes), then go ahead and stab the robber.

There was a recent news over here about a home owner cutting off a thief's hand using a machete. The thief tried to use his steel bar to hit the owner when discovered, but the strike was dodged and the man chopped off his hand.

#13 hawk2009

hawk2009

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,561 posts
  • LocationSpalding Lincolnshire England

Posted 09 December 2010 - 04:44 AM

I would only use a slingshot for hitting him in the hope it would scare him off if he is trespassing outside and at night,in the other scenario of meeting him face to face in your house feet apart fire the shot to hit him but it will only be a breif distraction a couple of seconds while he is smarting from the shot that should be enough time to close the distance and control him but I suggest you dont try this unless you are trained and very confident you can handle him and any weapon he may be carrying.

#14 bazil

bazil
  • Registered
  • 59 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 09 December 2010 - 05:01 AM

Interesting thread!

I was wondering about sling shots for self defense, as I live in a bad area, my neighbours 4 doors away had their back door smashed in at 4am. In the UK it is not legal to own hand guns. Calling the police would be my first instinct, but in those 5 mins while I'm waiting I'd like to be able to defend myself. The people that have no respect for the law are armed up, there is still gun crime in the UK despite the laws. All these laws do is make decent people defenseless.

I have a .22 air rifle that I keep for plinking, I thought that would be good to scare any robbers off with. But the legal limit is set at 12 foot pounds. The Fish hunter catapault is supposed to deliver 18 foot pounds! lol, my rifle cost me around £200, it makes me wonder why I bought it LOL. Interesting thing is, if I put a more powerful spring in my rifle and bring it up to 18 foot pounds like the hunter catty, I will be guilty of a fire arms offense and could serve prison time! :blink:

Baz

#15 ZDP-189

ZDP-189

"Small, fat bear"

• Moderators Moderators
  • 3,404 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 09 December 2010 - 05:32 AM

If these horrid little waste of time teenagers were to have reported me the police would have taken the issue seriously and the irony is I would have been the one in trouble

Yes, sadly: possession of an offensive weapon in a public place with intent to commit an indictable offense (2 counts), plus assault with a deadly weapon (just threatening to shoot them with a slingshot). You'd have been looking forward to a considerable helping of porridge and that's without even opening fire.

I believe that in the UK you cannot use or threaten force unless you are in fear of bodily harm and have exhausted all avenues of de-escalation or retreat. If you find a guy in your hallway blocking the exit with your child's severed head under one arm and a weed sprayer full of gasoline in the other, you're expected to run upstairs and try to climb out of window before you are can even say "Young man, please leave or I'll give your cheeks a ruddy good pinching".

#16 bleachbone

bleachbone

250 Post Club

• Silver Sponsor Silver Sponsor
  • 268 posts
  • Locationwilmington NC

Posted 09 December 2010 - 05:46 AM

http://stores.slings...-100/Detail.bok

hope this helps

#17 bazil

bazil
  • Registered
  • 59 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 09 December 2010 - 06:07 AM

They're interesting! hmmm

#18 whipcrackdeadbunny

whipcrackdeadbunny

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,963 posts
  • LocationEssex UK

Posted 09 December 2010 - 06:47 AM

Tin cans on string, behind the garage door ...

#19 Devoman

Devoman

750 Post Club

• Bronze Sponsor Bronze Sponsor
  • 862 posts
  • LocationSt Louis Missouri

Posted 09 December 2010 - 06:56 AM

A big mean dog?... Gives time to reload...oohps sounds like Sarah P... lol

#20 Rock and Shoot

Rock and Shoot
  • Registered
  • 33 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 09 December 2010 - 07:21 AM

Thank you all for the great advice!!!! Today I'm installing a security lock which protects the doors from being open by kicks or other kinds of forcing methods. I think that will be the best option for now. As for the local police... We've called them twice during different situations but are still waiting for them to come... I also have a guard dog, but he only can defend us from killer ants and miniature burglars (I'm joking) because even tough he think he is a big powerful dog, he is just a small chihuahua (Don't tell him that cause he means trouble!!!)... Anyway here he is:

Ringo Jacket.jpg

--Click to Remove Ads--