24 replies to this topic

#21 Teach

Teach

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 478 posts
  • LocationJalisco Mexico

Posted 07 January 2015 - 12:29 PM

Yeah, the sizes and shapes weren't consistent.  The white ball is one of the Daisey's glass ammo for comparison.  However,  I grabbed several that varied from one another and had some success at shooting them.  The first two feel short of a tree about 30ft out, but correcting my pull I had straight hard shots with them that hit close to my intended bulls-eye.  I don't feel at this point perfectly round is needed for.  I think these will do the trick for my intentions.

I'm finding that slingshot shooting has many variables that all have to come together in order to make that perfect shot where the ammo hits the intended target. The more of those variables we can remove from the equation the greater our chances become in hitting the target. If our ammo we are using is as close to perfect as possible then we have essentially removed one variable, then all we need to concern ourselves with is our own shooting technique. I'm sure most would agree when I say "the perfection of our ammo is our greatest ally". and if it is totally consistent as long as we the shooters do our part the ammo will hit it's mark. 

Said another way......you can do everything perfectly as the shooter but if your ammo is imperfect it can stray off it's intended path by not flying true and miss the target that it otherwise would have hit had it flown a true path. That can leave you the shooter wondering if YOU missed or the ammo CAUSED you to miss and you might make adjustments in your shooting trying to find a different point of aim that with perfect ammo would not be needed. 

By using ammo that is perfect, you will save yourself a lot of time and energy improving your skill as a shooter. I feel that that's why the vast majority of us use steel ball bearings (all the same size) or marbles (all the same size) for the greatest consistency possible from our ammo. 

#22 wll

wll

So Many Marbles ------------- So Little Time ;-)

• 2,745 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 January 2015 - 01:21 PM

Yeah, the sizes and shapes weren't consistent.  The white ball is one of the Daisey's glass ammo for comparison.  However,  I grabbed several that varied from one another and had some success at shooting them.  The first two feel short of a tree about 30ft out, but correcting my pull I had straight hard shots with them that hit close to my intended bulls-eye.  I don't feel at this point perfectly round is needed for.  I think these will do the trick for my intentions.

I'm finding that slingshot shooting has many variables that all have to come together in order to make that perfect shot where the ammo hits the intended target. The more of those variables we can remove from the equation the greater our chances become in hitting the target. If our ammo we are using is as close to perfect as possible then we have essentially removed one variable, then all we need to concern ourselves with is our own shooting technique. I'm sure most would agree when I say "the perfection of our ammo is our greatest ally". and if it is totally consistent as long as we the shooters do our part the ammo will hit it's mark. 

Said another way......you can do everything perfectly as the shooter but if your ammo is imperfect it can stray off it's intended path by not flying true and miss the target that it otherwise would have hit had it flown a true path. That can leave you the shooter wondering if YOU missed or the ammo CAUSED you to miss and you might make adjustments in your shooting trying to find a different point of aim that with perfect ammo would not be needed. 

By using ammo that is perfect, you will save yourself a lot of time and energy improving your skill as a shooter. I feel that that's why the vast majority of us use steel ball bearings (all the same size) or marbles (all the same size) for the greatest consistency possible from our ammo. 

Truer words were never spoken !

wll

#23 Bill Hays

Bill Hays

3000 Post Club

• Vendors Supporting Vendor
  • 3,174 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 07 January 2015 - 01:39 PM

Here's what you do...

Roll your clay into a snake, making it into a nice long fairly uniform cylinder, then finish rolling it with a flat board on top like thin plywood or a cutting board, this will make the cylinder much more uniform than you could do by hand... lay a ruler beside the cylinder and use that to cut pieces off that are all the same length.

Using wet hands, hand roll the little cut cylinders into rough balls... place on a flat surface with some space between each ball... take the piece of flat board gently place that on top of the balls. Move the top like "wax on" "wax off" and up and down.

Once you get the knack of it you'll get balls that are pretty close to perfect for what you're looking for.

PS..

I may have sculpted a little in the past... 

Edited by Bill Hays, 08 January 2015 - 01:46 AM.

#24 SlingNerd

SlingNerd

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 152 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:36 PM

I know this is an older post but I'm compelled to add my two cents yet again.

Buy a "Melon Baller" on Amazon for cheap and crank 'em out. They're made to form spheres from fruit and I'd bet they'll work a treat.

#25 twang

twang

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 306 posts
  • Locationgreat britain

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:09 PM

anyone tried "baking beads".

--Click to Remove Ads--