24 replies to this topic

#1 Teach

Teach

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 478 posts
  • LocationJalisco Mexico

Posted 03 January 2015 - 07:13 PM

I love using clay to make SS ammo for such applications as garbage raiding dogs or other nuisance animals that I don't want to hurt but do want to scare the beejesus out of them so they don't return. Here in Mexico they are a real problem.

My question is;

Is there a way to make clay ball ammo using a mold of some sort similar to an ice cream scoop (smaller of coarse) or something similar where the making of them could have some relative degree of repeatability rather than trying to roll them between your hands hoping to get similar sizing from one to the next?

Thanks

#2 bigron

bigron

WHO???

• 4,272 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 03 January 2015 - 07:24 PM

yes as soon as you come up with it we will be happy to copy it so hurry and get it going :neener:

#3 treefork

treefork

Focus

• +Member
  • 18,658 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 January 2015 - 07:32 PM

Here it is thanks to " Charles " : http://slingshotforu...ay-ball-roller/

#4 wll

wll

So Many Marbles ------------- So Little Time ;-)

• 2,745 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 January 2015 - 08:03 PM

Here it is thanks to " Charles " : http://slingshotforu...ay-ball-roller/

That is great, especially the adding of steel powder for added weight !

wll

#5 bigron

bigron

WHO???

• 4,272 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 03 January 2015 - 09:50 PM

i seen that on the instructables site the other day definitely worth the try

#6 bigron

bigron

WHO???

• 4,272 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:19 AM

could you use a lead ammo mold for this,also teach check out your local walmart or whatever you have up there in the great white north in there section that sell candy making molds to see if they have a round mold for making hard suckers it should have enough spots to make 6 or 8 at a time

#7 Imperial

Imperial

HOBBYIST-SOPHOMORIC-JACKA$$

• Registered
  • 8,180 posts
  • LocationHELLPERIAL, MEXIFORNIA

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:52 AM

10-2042-01.jpg

#8 POI

POI

100 Post Club

• 203 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 04 January 2015 - 02:09 AM

Checking a cooking store for small plier type meatball maker or melon ball scoop  might get some consistancy for size...

#9 Teach

Teach

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 478 posts
  • LocationJalisco Mexico

Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:03 AM

Molds don't work well as the clay needs to breath when drying and they would have to be very wet to pour into a mould. If you tried to press a dryer mix into a mold on both sides and then close the mold that would be a PITA trying to keep clay out from between the two halves when closing the mold and you would also have to contend with not getting a good enough bond between the two halves if there was not enough material in the cavity to actually place enough pressure on the material to push them together enough so as to bond the two halves forming the ball. 

I think this is a better way to go if a person was to make one out of pipe or even wood using a router to form the grooves. I just found this after viewing Charles's link.

#10 Nobodo

Nobodo

Resigned

• Resigned
  • 795 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:10 AM

teach.png

:woot: :panic: :question:

#11 Teach

Teach

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 478 posts
  • LocationJalisco Mexico

Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:39 AM

Haha, I'm a snowbird for the moment. When I signed up for the Forum I was in Canada at the time I believe and I'm currently in the state of Jalisco in Mexico for the winter. Back to Canada in the spring to sell everything and move to Mexico full time.

#12 Imperial

Imperial

HOBBYIST-SOPHOMORIC-JACKA$$

• Registered
  • 8,180 posts
  • LocationHELLPERIAL, MEXIFORNIA

Posted 04 January 2015 - 10:46 AM

Haha, I'm a snowbird for the moment. When I signed up for the Forum I was in Canada at the time I believe and I'm currently in the state of Jalisco in Mexico for the winter. Back to Canada in the spring to sell everything and move to Mexico full time.

good luck in mexico.  

#13 JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,043 posts
  • LocationSlovakia

Posted 04 January 2015 - 11:24 AM

My friend just makes a roll and then uses a cutter he made from some wood and wires. That gives him same sized chunks that he hust rolls into balls and dries them.

#14 leon13

leon13

4000+ Post Club

• Registered
  • 4,056 posts
  • LocationHamburg

Posted 04 January 2015 - 11:47 AM

http://m.youtube.com...?v=u4L1AAFv2F8#
If u need some more ????
looks really practical
Cheers

Edited by leon13, 04 January 2015 - 11:47 AM.

#15 JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa

1000 Post Club

• Registered
  • 1,043 posts
  • LocationSlovakia

Posted 04 January 2015 - 02:14 PM

Holy cow that cake ball roller is awesome, ill have to try to DIY it !

#16 Nobodo

Nobodo

Resigned

• Resigned
  • 795 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 03:53 PM

Retiring in Jalisco?  You certainly picked a beautiful part of Mexico, and probably a whole lot safer than the border areas.  I grew up in southern New Mexico, and back then a lot of people from the area retired to Chihuahua because the cost of living was very low and the crime wasn't bad.  Heck in the 70s and 80s we even went to Juarez to get cheap eyeglasses, prescriptions, beer, etc. -- basically make a trip anytime there was something to save money on.  Times certainly have changed; any more it is hard to feel safe at all visiting Ciudad Juarez.  Copper Canyon is definitely my favorite part of Chihuahua state but it's really isolated so not a place to retire to. 

Enjoy Jalisco!!!

#17 dadof3gboys

dadof3gboys
  • Registered
  • 7 posts
  • Location47150

Posted 05 January 2015 - 02:58 PM

I saw clay mentioned in a thread and thought why not have something cheap, expendable and earth friendly.  The boys and I can use these for just shooting when we're out hiking.

They fly pretty good and with a nice impact on the trees.

$5.50'ish but with Hobby Lobby coupon $3.30.  Just a guess, but I figure to get a couple hundred out of 2 pounds.

clayballs.JPG

#18 Teach

Teach

250 Post Club

• Registered
  • 478 posts
  • LocationJalisco Mexico

Posted 06 January 2015 - 01:34 PM

I saw clay mentioned in a thread and thought why not have something cheap, expendable and earth friendly.  The boys and I can use these for just shooting when we're out hiking.

$5.50'ish but with Hobby Lobby coupon $3.30.  Just a guess, but I figure to get a couple hundred out of 2 pounds.

attachicon.gifclayballs.JPG

Judging from your photo you are experiencing the same thing as I was when trying to make clay balls by hand and it was hard to end up with anything semi round that did not look like a football.  But these cake ball molds would be great if they can be had or made in say a 1/2 size.

#19 Nobodo

Nobodo

Resigned

• Resigned
  • 795 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 02:20 PM

attachicon.gifclayballs.JPG

Judging from your photo you are experiencing the same thing as I was when trying to make clay balls by hand and it was hard to end up with anything semi round that did not look like a football.  But these cake ball molds would be great if they can be had or made in say a 1/2 size.

That RollaPro that leon13 linked looks like it makes the perfect sized ammo, and a lot of it at once.

The downside is at £85 plus shipping from UK it would take a while to pay off.

#20 dadof3gboys

dadof3gboys
  • Registered
  • 7 posts
  • Location47150

Posted 07 January 2015 - 07:44 AM

I

Yeah, the sizes and shapes weren't consistent.  The white ball is one of the Daisey's glass ammo for comparison.  However,  I grabbed several that varied from one another and had some success at shooting them.  The first two feel short of a tree about 30ft out, but correcting my pull I had straight hard shots with them that hit close to my intended bulls-eye.  I don't feel at this point perfectly round is needed for.  I think these will do the trick for my intentions.

I think if I can get the size/weight consistent that may be more beneficial to overall performance.  Again, I'm so new to this figuring out how to adjust for different ammo and getting a consistent aim and pull will make the biggest improvement for me.

--Click to Remove Ads--