35 replies to this topic

#1 NightKnight

NightKnight

SSF Founder

• Administrators Admin
  • 4,863 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida, USA

Posted 18 December 2009 - 12:39 AM

This is a nice chart to help choose what band will fit your needs best. I also threw the data into Excel to get a graph.

Also, here is a note from Thera-Band:

Using the “force elongation” chart, you can predict what the force will be at a specific percent elongation for Thera-Band colors. For example, if your 2 foot length of band was Red, then when you stretched it to 4 feet (100% elongation), you’d have about 3.9 pounds of force.

Both Thera-Band resistance tubing and bands are calibrated to offer the same resistance levels at the same percent elongation.

Attached Thumbnails

• theraband chart.JPG
  • theraband graph.JPG

#2 NightKnight

NightKnight

SSF Founder

• Administrators Admin
  • 4,863 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida, USA

Posted 31 December 2009 - 09:32 AM

Here are some specs that they offer:
Tubes
Tan .062 ID x .031 wall
Yellow .200 ID x .045 wall
Red .200 ID x .057 wall
Green .200 ID x .069 wall
Blue .200 ID x .085 wall
Black .200 ID x .098 wall
Silver .200 ID x .125 wall

Bands
Tan/Extra Thin
Yellow/Thin
Red/Medium
Green/Heavy
Blue/Extra Heavy
Black/Spcl Heavy
Silver /Spr Heavy
Gold/Max

#3 ZDP-189

ZDP-189

"Small, fat bear"

• Moderators Moderators
  • 3,407 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 04 May 2010 - 11:28 PM

Some interesting stats...

Thera-band specs:

• Gold; .025" thickness; 11.8 lbs at 100% elongation
  • Silver; .022" thickness; 8.6 lbs at 100% elongation
  • Black; .015" thickness; 4.9 lbs at 100% elongation
  • Blue; .012" thickness; 4.5 lbs at 100% elongation
  • Green; .010" thickness; 3.1 lbs at 100% elongation
  • Red; .008" thickness; 2.7 lbs at 100% elongation
  • Yellow; .006" thickness; 1.8 lbs at 100% elongation
  • Tan; .004" thickness; 1.1 lbs at 100% elongation
Sources (same):
  • http://www.yogadirect.com/yoga_thera_bands.html
  • http://www.yogaaccessories.com/150ft-Thera-Band-Rolls_c_1045.html
I presume the elongation refers to full 6" width by 12" elongated to 24" lengthwise, but maybe it refers to full length.

Interestingly, thicker bands seem to require more force per thickness to reach 100% elongation.

#4 ZDP-189

ZDP-189

"Small, fat bear"

• Moderators Moderators
  • 3,407 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 04 May 2010 - 11:53 PM

Incidentally, when I measured Thera-band gold with a micrometer myself, I got .0295" and Thera-band Silver gave .0216".

The manufacturer's specs for the bands I can buy locally (approx. 4'x6"):

XF1065; Blue; 0.65mm/.0256"; 4.5kg
XF1050; Red; 0.50mm/.0197"; 3.5kg
XF1035; Yellow; 0.35mm/.0138"; 2.5kg

Their definition of draw force must be different.

XF1065 pulls between TB Gold and TB Silver
XF1050 pulls below TB Silver (probably abover TB Black, though I haven't tried it.)
XF1035 will likely be between TB Green and TB Black

The XF compound looks good. It stretches well and returns fast. It doesn't seem to last as well as Thera-band, but then I have only just discovered using a cutting mat and roll-cutter.

#5 Tex-Shooter

Tex-Shooter

4000+ Post Club

• Vendors Supporting Vendor
  • 4,137 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 05 May 2010 - 07:55 AM

All rubbers including Thera-band have tolerance specifications. Thera-band is a compound (latex+?) that is made by Hygienic, which has some of the tightest tolerance specifications in the rubber Industry. -- Tex

#6 ZDP-189

ZDP-189

"Small, fat bear"

• Moderators Moderators
  • 3,407 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 04 June 2010 - 04:05 AM

I was looking at the relationship between thickness and the amount of traction force required for elongation. I expected to see a nice relationship with yellow at one extreme, gold at the other and the others lying proportionally along the curve.

That's not what I found.

Yellow: 967 lbs/inch thickness @250% elongation
Red: 875 lbs/inch thickness @250% elongation
Green: 960 lbs/inch thickness @250% elongation
Blue: 1,108 lbs/inch thickness @250% elongation
Black: 1,173 lbs/inch thickness @250% elongation
Silver: 1,150 lbs/inch thickness @250% elongation
Gold: 1,604 lbs/inch thickness @250% elongation

Source: Force numbers from Aaron's table; thickness from Thera-band.

It raises the possibility that either the inputs are wrong or Thera-band are using different compounds for different colours.

#7 Sam

Sam

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

• Bronze Sponsor Bronze Sponsor
  • 1,425 posts
  • Location"Great" Britain

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:53 AM

This is a nice chart to help choose what band will fit your needs best. I also threw the data into Excel to get a graph.

Also, here is a note from Thera-Band:

Using the “force elongation” chart, you can predict what the force will be at a specific percent elongation for Thera-Band colors. For example, if your 2 foot length of band was Red, then when you stretched it to 4 feet (100% elongation), you’d have about 3.9 pounds of force.

Both Thera-Band resistance tubing and bands are calibrated to offer the same resistance levels at the same percent elongation.

How wide are the sections of Theraband they tested? Posted Image

#8 Sam

Sam

• 1,425 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:04 AM

I was looking at the relationship between thickness and the amount of traction force required for elongation. I expected to see a nice relationship with yellow at one extreme, gold at the other and the others lying proportionally along the curve.

That's not what I found.

Yellow: 967 lbs/inch thickness @250% elongation
Red: 875 lbs/inch thickness @250% elongation
Green: 960 lbs/inch thickness @250% elongation
Blue: 1,108 lbs/inch thickness @250% elongation
Black: 1,173 lbs/inch thickness @250% elongation
Silver: 1,150 lbs/inch thickness @250% elongation
Gold: 1,604 lbs/inch thickness @250% elongation

Source: Force numbers from Aaron's table; thickness from Thera-band.

It raises the possibility that either the inputs are wrong or Thera-band are using different compounds for different colours.

Hmmm, interesting obviously the unnatural colours would make a small difference to each colour's composition - I discovered a similar notion recently when looking at monofilament lines (for fishing,) I realised that the lines which had been deliberately coloured were slightly weaker than those that hadn't, as part of their construction was the colour itself...

#9 ZDP-189

ZDP-189

"Small, fat bear"

• Moderators Moderators
  • 3,407 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:11 AM

The guys at Balloonbed only sell red ones for that reason.

#10 Sam

Sam

• 1,425 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:18 AM

The guys at Balloonbed only sell red ones for that reason.

I thought a sort of creamy, yellowish white was the natural colour of latex? I think the differences in draw-weight may be because the different colours require different amounts of colour in order to achieve the desired colour - if that makes sense! Posted Image

#11 919h

919h

100 Post Club

• Registered
  • 125 posts
  • LocationFrance Lyon

Posted 27 August 2010 - 05:36 AM

Most of us using the “force elongation” 1000mm or 39.37”

The band slingshot is arount 200mm or 8”

Also

For 100% elongation band , we have 200mm + 200mm = 400mm or 16”

For 200% elongation band , we have 200mm + 400mm = 600mm or 24”

For 300% elongation band , we have 200mm + 600mm = 800mm or 31”

For 400% elongation band , we have 200mm + 800mm = 1000mm or 39”

For 500% elongation band , we have 200mm + 1000mm = 1200mm or 47”

So what interest to us is the extension to 400%

I’m on a right or wrong way ?

Excuse me for my bad english

@+

Thomas

#12 ZDP-189

ZDP-189

"Small, fat bear"

• Moderators Moderators
  • 3,407 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 27 August 2010 - 05:56 AM

Sorry, the relationship is not linear. There are example force elongation and force contraction curves in my blog.

#13 PandaMan

PandaMan

Panda... with a slingshot?!?

• Registered
  • 823 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 24 October 2010 - 01:44 AM

i don't know which thera band to use... I remember when I was 9 I tried archery and I could do it ok with an adult's bow, which surely has a strong draw weight... I think maybe black or silver, which do you guys think?

#14 ZDP-189

ZDP-189

"Small, fat bear"

• Moderators Moderators
  • 3,407 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 24 October 2010 - 02:25 AM

I would start out with a medium weight band and decide whether you need more energy when shooting larger projectiles.

#15 PandaMan

PandaMan

• Registered
  • 823 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 24 October 2010 - 02:30 AM

that would be good, but I really have very little money to work with. I get £2.50 a week, so if I'm going to buy thera band, I want to make sure it's the right strength first time. I'm maybe thinking blue or black?

#16 ZDP-189

ZDP-189

"Small, fat bear"

• Moderators Moderators
  • 3,407 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 24 October 2010 - 03:05 AM

Truly, it doesn't matter. You cut the band as wide or narrow as you want to match your draw strength. I would start with Gold bands because they'll be narrower. Thin bands of the same draw are wider and that can be harder to control but somewhat faster.

BTW - I'm talking about flatbands not tubes.

PM me an address to send it to and I'll mail you some free pieces of whatever I have lying about in my workshop. I'll even send you a pair of my Fastbands if you like.

#17 PandaMan

PandaMan

• Registered
  • 823 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 24 October 2010 - 03:14 AM

Truly, it doesn't matter. You cut the band as wide or narrow as you want to match your draw strength. I would start with Gold bands because they'll be narrower. Thin bands of the same draw are wider and that can be harder to control but somewhat faster.

BTW - I'm talking about flatbands not tubes.

PM me an address to send it to and I'll mail you some free pieces of whatever I have lying about in my workshop. I'll even send you a pair of my Fastbands if you like.

wow. I'd really appreciate that. Thanks, PM sent.
and if you're willing to send a pair of Fastbands then you can, I don't mind. Free stuff is good.
And also I'd like you even more if you could send 4 inches of tube. It would make it easier to mount the bands onto my slingshot. But you don't have to.
Thanks.

#18 Botus

Botus
  • Registered
  • 51 posts
  • LocationKernow

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:36 AM

Interesting data. Does anyone know at what percentage elongation the band moves from elastic to plastic deformation, obviously it would change depending on the type of band that was used. Surely there are instances when say a 500% elongation merely damages the band i.e. plastic deformation and therefore a draw of this elongation is pointless. Sadly im bogged down with work at the moment but have plans to undertake some experiments myself in the new year.
By looking at this chart surely for someone like myself with a short, more compact draw the biggest advantage I could gain would be by shortening the length of the band set in the first place, thus increasing the maximum possible elongation I could achieve using the same draw. I understand other factors come into play but this is what the data would lead me to believe!
Would the volume of band utilised also have a significant effect on the possible power returns?
I understand that this are all questions I should probably answer myself through experimentation but if anyone can give a few pointers in the right direction I can refine the proposed experiments I plan to undertake.
Cheers then!

#19 Aras

Aras

500 Post Club

• Registered
  • 661 posts
  • LocationLithuania

Posted 03 April 2011 - 02:51 AM

I wanted to ask what band should I use. I'm only 14 years old, and I'm afraid, that thera band gold is too strong for me. Any suggestions?

#20 Sleepy

Sleepy
  • Registered
  • 67 posts
  • LocationUS, Washington state, Port Orchard.

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:32 PM

I went shopping for thera-band at Amazon. There was listed there bands and tubes. In all these colors listed. And they were also in either latex rubber or non-latex rubber. Do the two, i.e., latex vs non-latex pull with the same resistence ?
Thank you very much for these charts by the way.

--Click to Remove Ads--